ARX and non-synth concerns in well maintained engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all:

History: I have a 1998 BMW 528i sport/manual with 114,000km (~70k miles) on it. It is exceptionally well maintained. For the first three years (previous owner) it had a ~5000km (3000mi) OCI with Penzzoil synth w/ Penzane 5w50 until about 50,000km (30k mi). Since then under my ownership I use a 5000-6000km OCI and Mobil1 0W40. All other fluids are on a two year cycle except brake fluid which I try to do every year. I drive around 12,000km per year so this equates to 2 oil changes per year - one before nasty winter (extreme cold) and one after nasty winter (condensation and byproducts). I'm in the Toronto area, temperatures range from -35C to +36C and I'm comfortable with my OCI and don't want to extend it unless my annual mileage increases.

Since I purchased it, what I can see of the top end through the oil filler is brown and somewhat varnished. I'm occasionally hearing some unwanted valve train noises, although this could be due to the Mobil1 itself as is being discussed in the engine oil forum right now. The M1 hasn't cleaned anything up, but it doesn't seem to have made anything worse either in the last 65,000km.

Because of the age and increasing miles, I've been thinking about using AutoRX to ensure that the rings and things I can't see are clean as well as to tidy up everywhere else. My concern is that my low annual mileage will mean the cycle will take a whole year. If I follow the rules, this is a whole year without synthetic. This makes me nervous, especially with our winter temperatures.

Since I'm not driving a sludge monster, do you think that perhaps any of the following would work:

• using synthetic during both phases, or just the rinse phase (which would be next winter) would be OK?
  • use it for a shorter cycle time (1000 miles each?) with non-synth so I'm back to synthetic in time for the winter?
  • wait until winter and then begin a clean cycle with synth and rinse next summer with dino?
  • Would a "maintenance dose" in my regular M1 synth possibly be enough to clean things up instead of following the two step treatment?

I'm considering trying Redline 5w40 this summer as well, and don't want to waste the extra money on RL if I go ahead with an AutoRX non-synth cycle so I want to figure out what I'm doing in advance.

BTW, for what it's worth, the Auto-RX shipping of $17 minimum to Canada is terrible for a tiny bottle of product valued at $20. Rediculous! I can't help but feel ripped off and I haven't even ordered anything yet. This alone may keep me from ever using Auto-RX until this is improved. There's free shipping within the US, but 50 miles further into Canada it's almost equal to the value of the product being shipped.
dunno.gif

OK, I'm off of my soapbox now.

Thanks,
Craig.

Craig

I am also in Toronto. I have Auto-RXed several Porsche 944s including a Turbo, so german car in Toronto weather about 12,000 Km /year all are similar.

My two cents:
Add Auto-RX to your current Mobil1 if it has at least 2500 Km left in it. You probably want to add a new filter.
Run 2500 Km and drain.
Change oil and filter. Use Dino oil. Run 3200 km or whatever and drain.
If you are doing this in the summer in Toronto I would use Esso XD-3 15w40 HDEO available at WalMart for about $12CDN for a 4 litre jug.
If you are nervous about dino and don't care about spending the bucks on a "synthetic" but want a rinse oil which will not compete with the Auto-RX, use Castrol Syntec which apart from the German or Belgian Castrol is a Group III oil and will not compete with ARX.
Go back to 0w40 synth in time for Winter (you may want to try Esso XD-3 0w40 Synth.)

Most people report that Auto-RX does not do too much for varnish, but LC20 does.

Peter, thanks for the reply. I had a '92 968 until last May so I know the platform well - really missing it with the spring sunshine returning.

Have you used LC products yourself? Again, I'll have to begin the inquiry about where to get this stuff in Canada just like with every other interesting product...

I suppose my original post should not have stated "varnish" but instead "orange/brown deposits", just in case I'm misinformed about the different types of deposits.

Craig.

YUP.

Otherwise, I'm in Mississauga and don't remember any temp. this winter below -18C, so I think you're giving us too much credit. It's global warming after all and 'fake wind-chill' numbers don't count.

I use FP and LC in all 3 of my BMW's with awesome results. You're changing the oil much, much too often. With the A3 oils you've been using, you can safely double your current interval. Using LC in there will keep things clean during that period. You will observe this. ie. be able to perform the full 10-15k interval recommended by BMW and still have clean oil.

I would recommend the Auto-Rx procedure. Has far more cleaning ability, especially ring packs, while driving. You may clean with your current synthetic, followed by a dino rinse. This would be my recommendation before considering any greatly extended oil change intervals.

I've decided to go ahead with auto-rx, and try to rush a clean/rinse cycle in before the cold weather returns. I've picked up Esso XD-3 15w40 HDEO to use during both the clean and rinse phases which will occur during our warm weather.

Frankly, I'm not really considering any longer OCIs. If I drove more miles per year, I would, but right now I'm not interested in extending my OCI to 1.5 years (15,000km). Don't they say to change every year regardless of mileage anyways?

On this car my 5000-6000km oil comes out dark brown. It looks, feels and smells different than new, and the engine is a little quieter/smoother on fresh oil. I've read about M1 0W40 shearing down to 30wt as well as it is used. When my oil looks almost the same at 5000km as when it went in I'll consider lengthening intervals. I don't need a UOA to tell me that something's changed since the last oil change.

On a 1992 Porsche I used to have, the M1 15W50 I used *DID* come out looking almost like it went in at 5000-6000km OCIs, but for the last several years I had it it drove 5000km or less in a year so I changed it annually before storage. If I was seeing results like that on this car I would lengthen my interval without a doubt.

Craig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back