scandalized that cruise control is not standard...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My xB doesn't have cruise, and it was a dealer added option for all of them when the car was new. After two years of ownership, I'm installing cruise for a 2000-mile trip in August.

Before I leave, I'll install the "official" Rostra unit the dealers installed in new ones, available from Amazon for a little over $200. Install time will depend on how easily I can get the clutch switch set right.

I haven't missed cruise in the two years I've owned the car, and wouldn't miss it for quite a while longer if it weren't for this upcoming trip.

With the newer DBW Fords, people have had good luck buying the Cruise steering wheel(only difference), switching it out and having a dealer go into the computer and enable that functionality..
My first car didnt have cruise, so it was one of the things I had to have. Either factory or conversion. So, I have it and use it all the time.

I like it for long trips.

On my hilly 35 mile drive to work, I get much better mileage modulating the throttle myself though.

Wouldn't own a car without it. I use it all the time( 40 MPH and above ). Big help saving fuel and on long trips it is a real bonus.

I would imagine that there can't be too many new cars left without cruise control.
The last new car we bought without it was our '97 Aerostar XLT.
Only a very low trim level cheapy would come without either cruise or AC these days.
Cruise is nice, since you can set it to some speed not too far over the posted limit on the interstate and not have to keep your eyes peeled for the policia.
Makes for a relaxed and easy drive, and you don't typically save all that much time going faster, since while you can jet between the traffic clumps, you then spend lots of time working your way through them.

People dislike leather because it's as hot and sticky to sit on as vinyl.
I'm not a fan for that reason, and I hate it on airline seats.
OTOH, it's also as easy to clean as vinyl.

Around here, A/C is a requirement. It's already hit 100 degrees a few times.

I rarely use the my cruise control except momentarily to give my feet a rest. For that, it's wonderful. Same reason I have a $20 throttle lock on my motorcycle; it's never going to maintain a constant speed but for giving my hand a brief rest it's great.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OriginHacker21

Now that I have a Civic with cruise control... I am constantly annoyed by people's inability to maintain speed thus am never really able to take advantage of it unless I drop to 60mph and follow a Semi. Even they have a hard time keeping a consistent speed with the countless idiots that enter a freeway doing 30mph.

This. People do not know how to use interstates, making cruise nearly useless except when there is no traffic. Erratic interstate driving should be a traffic violation of some kind.

Factory cruise is a must-have in my opinion. I use it every day on my commute.

I have aftermarket Rostra cruise in my Nissan and it sucks. Rostra is a high-end brand and it was professionally installed, but it just doesn't work very well.

The problem is on some brands you can't get cruise with a manual or you can only get it with a dumb package that includes a bunch of stuff I don't want.

With DBW throttles, cruise is so easy to implement. A few buttons on the steering wheel, and a little extra code in the computer.

Originally Posted By: asand1
I'm suprized no one mentioned the economy gained by maintaining a constant speed. In a car market largely driven by fuel economy themakers should all be including standard CC.

You can get better fuel economy by working the throttle rather than using CC.

Cruise control is meant to hold a constant speed, which is not good for fuel economy if you are driving on non-level roads. I can get better fuel economy modulating the throttle rather than using CC especially when encountering large hills.

I'd much rather prefer a CC based on engine load, not speed.

My max came standard with V6, AC, Cruise, power windows, power locks,AM/FM cassette, and power mirrors. It did not come with heated mirrors, heated seats, power adjustable seats, or fog lights. I installed an adjustable delay wiper switch myself.
Thankfully it does not have TC or ABS, because I don't care for either.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: asand1
I'm suprized no one mentioned the economy gained by maintaining a constant speed. In a car market largely driven by fuel economy themakers should all be including standard CC.

My car theoretically improves economy vs an identical car driven with the right foot. (It's a HHR with DBW and auto trans.) It is pretty good at holding Overdrive and Lockup until around 70% throttle (I estimate). It then goes into "driven like stolen" mode, skipping third sometimes for 2nd or at least hitting 3rd without lockup. I guess I've got to get one of these with a stick.
laugh.gif

I still goose the gas a little at the bottoms of hills to build up speed in OD. With DBW, it's disconcerting, as the pedal does NOT move like Knight Rider.

For me, cruise control with a manual trans car has always felt weird. My last four cars all had it, all manual transmissions. Only used it once on a 6 hour trip where my leg was literally falling asleep (pins and needles).

With my driving style, I could live without it.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I would imagine that there can't be too many new cars left without cruise control.
The last new car we bought without it was our '97 Aerostar XLT.
Only a very low trim level cheapy would come without either cruise or AC these days.
Cruise is nice, since you can set it to some speed not too far over the posted limit on the interstate and not have to keep your eyes peeled for the policia.
Makes for a relaxed and easy drive, and you don't typically save all that much time going faster, since while you can jet between the traffic clumps, you then spend lots of time working your way through them.

That's weird...my friend had a crank-window, rubber-mat Aerostar XL cargo van, and it DID have cruise control!

I find it amusing what's considered standard these days.

Some of the entry-level Hyundais, Kias, and Fords come with Bluetooth and a touchscreen standard, but no cruise control or power windows. *shrug*

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
People dislike leather because it's as hot and sticky to sit on as vinyl.
I'm not a fan for that reason, and I hate it on airline seats.
OTOH, it's also as easy to clean as vinyl.

Not sure why we are on this here, but I agree. Plus after a few years the leather looks old and wrinkled while cloth/vinyl still looks like new unless the owner is a slob.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
I have no interest in it, power mirrors, power windows, power locks, stereo, power steering or A/C.

Just one more thing to increase the cost of purchase price, and of course, one more thing to break.

What kind of car do you drive that doesn't have any of these features? I would not think of buying any car without at least all of these features.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back