Auto RX or Diesel oil cleaning, Dirty 4.0L I-6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle is a 1994 Jeep Wrngler 4.0L 242ci. I6.

A little history; The previous owner put approx. 75-80K on the ticker when I bought it 3-4 years ago. Since I have owned it, I have put maybe 10-14K. Most of those 10-14K miles were in the first year I bought it because it was driven on a daily basis. Over the past 3 years, I have put maybe 3K on it. The jeep is just a trail vehicle and does not get out much. I have been running regular ol' 10w30 (not that says much - I have only changed the oil twice since I have owned it) I know, I know... I do start it up (let it run for 15-20 minutes) every couple of weeks when I am not driving it though.

The valve springs and lifters have some varnish build up on them and the whole top end is dirty! I was thinking of do the Auto RX gig but wonder how it will work with the limited milage I put on the jeep. Since I only drive it maybe 1K a year, how can I do a good cleaning and rinse? It's litterally only driven to and from the trails. It's not really practical to get out and drive around town to get a good cleaning cycle in. Heck, there are some years where I only put 200-400 mile on it.

Or would I just be better doing the Delo 15w-40 since it has more detergents in it. I really don't think the thicker oil will hurt the inline 6 and the fact that it is only driven in the summer.
Any help would be appreciated!

Need some LC20 for that varnish.....AutoRX is a good product no doubt, but LC20 has additonal benefits as well and would do this engine some good.

Get FP60 in the fuel tank ASAP!

LC20 & FP60, huh? I'll do some research on them, thanks! I have seen them in several posts, but not framiliar with what they do. I just don't think that auto Rx is right for this particular situation.

Quit with the 20 minute startups/idling. That does nothing. Either drive it or don't run it at all.
Use fuel stabilizer and keep the fluids fresh everywhere. And, if the vehicle is going to sit for a while, fog the cylinders.

Take some engine crud/varnish pictures and post them.

Since you don't drive it regularly enough, consider a storage oil additive like
http://www.specialtyformulations.com/Classic_Form.htm , along with any HD 15w40 or synthetic 5w40(like Rotella-T/ValvolineExtreme/Schaeffers9000).

http://www.corrosionvci.com/pdf/Nox-Rust1100.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back