how to clean pistons with anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a 1995 neon, SOHC engine, has 73,200 miles. i wanan clean my pistons, without removing hte head. ive heard that poeple have used, ATF fluid, b12chemtool, sea foam, and marvels mystery oil. is this actually safe, to pour down the spark plug holes? is their another prduct, or method of doing this? any help would be deeply appreciated!
thanks; )
smile.gif

it all depends on what you want to "clean".

If it's just the piston crown (top part) you want to clean for visual's sake, any previously mentioned chemicals such as B12, Techron, Seafoam, etc., will work somewhat.

If it's the oil control rings and grooves you want to clean then you shall consider taking apart your engine and pistons and do some manual scrubbing with chemicals. "soaking" it while the pistons still in the cylinder works diddly if you know what I mean (almost no effect).

AutoRx works in cleaning the oil control rings and grooves somewhat but it all depends on how "bad" your rings are clogged.

Add a bottle of techron concentrate to your fuel at your next fillup.
That should provide enough cleaning. And, if the engine is out of tune, cleaning is a waste since it'll just get dirty again.

You can use the "MolaSoke" with LC for piston crowns, or use ARX as prescribed on their website for cleaning ring packs.

You could do a water de-carbon treatment through the brake booster vacuum hose, if you're really brave, or is it really wreckless???.....I always get those confused.
wink.gif

I know of aircraft mechanics who sometimes use ty wraps placed on the end of a long drill rod. Then spun up with a die grinder. This will knock off much of the combustion chamber deposits. However that is a last ditch effort before disassembly.

It is likely that ty wraps would dislodge and be difficult to remove through a small spark plug opening.

Chris

B12 or valucraft carb cleaner, works pretty good, threw a CEC on a 2000 kia...cylinder 1 misfire and another for a fuel level sensor malfunction, blew a nice amount of stuff out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back