NGK Iridium IX Spark Plug

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking to use some "Lots O' Loot" $5 off $5 purchase and pick-up some spark plugs. I was looking at the iridiums made by NGK. The (2) options were OE Laser Iridium at $13.99 and the Iridium IX for $7.09. From the NGK website, it appears that the Iridium IX is a superior plug designed for "performance enthusiastes" whereas the OE Laser Iridium appears to be a OEM replacement. Other than these "marketed" differences, what really is the difference?

"Laser" plugs are better: BOTH electrodes have iridium. "IX" plugs are cheaper because only the positive electrode is iridium.

Lasers are rated for 100,000 miles. IX's are rated for 30,000 miles.

NGK markets the IX's as a "performance enthusiast" plug as compared to a regular plug, not as compared to a Laser.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
"Laser" plugs are better: BOTH electrodes have iridium. "IX" plugs are cheaper because only the positive electrode is iridium.

NGK markets the IX's as a "performance enthusiast" plug as compared to a regular plug, not as compared to a Laser.

Not according to NGK on both counts.
FAQ
Laser
IX

According to their part finder, there is not a "laser" for my application..2005 MINI S, only IX. For my 2004 Rainier with the I6, they are both available. Check the application guide for your car.

The frickin' "laser" is for an OEM application? The square ground electrode lets the OEM say they'll last 100k? The IX has a tapered ground electrode.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LotI
Originally Posted By: Tegger

FAQ
Laser
IX

According to their part finder, there is not a "laser" for my application..2005 MINI S, only IX. For my 2004 Rainier with the I6, they are both available. Check the application guide for your car.

The frickin' "laser" is for an OEM application? The square ground electrode lets the OEM say they'll last 100k? The IX has a tapered ground electrode.

YMMV. The NGK Iridium IX does not have the platinum pad on the ground electrode - look thru all of the marketing literature and you will find that to be the sole difference between the NGK OE Laser plugs and the Iridium IX.

As others said the difference is the longevity the IX is a " performance" oriented product where as the laser is rated for longevity something that a OE would use for maximum life span between tune ups.

Its like racing oils , you wouldnt want them in your car for too long but you def. want them for maximum protection when your car is under continuous stress.

FAQ
Laser
IX

All of your links point to the same "How often should I change my spark plugs" page. And none of my points are on that page.

See these NGK pages:
Laser iridium:
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/products/spark_plugs/laser_iridium.asp?mode=nml
IX iridium:
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/products/spark_plugs/iridiumix.asp?mode=nml

Like I said, the primary difference is the addition of an iridium pad on the ground electrode for the Lasers so that the plugs have TWO iridium electrodes. IX's have ONE iridium electrode. That's why the Lasers are OE-spec and are more expensive than the IXs: Many OE plugs are rated for 100,000 miles these days.

I wonder if your application may not take a 100,000 mile plug. Maybe leaving plugs in that long may cause other problems, such as seizure of the threads in the head? What does your manual say for plug replacement on your engine?

Figure 60k for one, 100k for the other.
With the coupon deal, I'd go for the IX, especially if the plugs are easy to change and you don't mind doing them in 60k again.

I'm using the Lasers in my car now, and I always understood that besides the obvious added ground electrode pad on the Lasers, that the CENTER electrode on the IXes was thinner in diameter as well (to compete with the performance ONLY oriented Denso Iridiums), no ??
21.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
I'm using the Lasers in my car now, and I always understood that besides the obvious added ground electrode pad on the Lasers, that the CENTER electrode on the IXes was thinner in diameter as well (to compete with the performance ONLY oriented Denso Iridiums), no ??
21.gif

This.

Narrower tip makes it easier (lower voltage) to fire but don't last as long.

I can't see paying $14 for an NGK plug when the Autolite XP Iridiums do just as well for under $7

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I can't see paying $14 for an NGK plug when the Autolite XP Iridiums do just as well for under $7

I might try these next change
thumbsup2.gif
, or the Delco Iridiums (if I can confirm that they are NOT just the quick wearing, narrow center electrode Densos in a Delco box, with Delco labelling on the porcelin).
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back