Where can I buy the cheapest motor oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where can I buy the cheapest motor oil?
Walmart? or the motor oil distributor in my city?

PS:I am at San Francisco

The motor oil you should use, at the cheapest price, is most likely at Walmart.

Find out what you need and check out their availability online.

Walmart has the most consistently low prices. You can also get it cheap on certain sales. This website is good for catching these in time.

I was in college in S.F. in the old days when it actually was cheap to live there. I am a geezer now. Do you still have a Sears there? There used to be one on Geary. Is Grand Auto any good? You might to find when the sales happen and then mix them with a trip out of town.

I do not want this to be about politics, but people in S.F. hate Walmart. Why, I do not know. Their bargains are outstanding.

Walmart in your part of CA only has stores in the East Bay. Take a trip.

Originally Posted By: Cristobal
Walmart has the most consistently low prices. You can also get it cheap on certain sales. This website is good for catching these in time.

I was in college in S.F. in the old days when it actually was cheap to live there. I am a geezer now. Do you still have a Sears there? There used to be one on Geary. Is Grand Auto any good? You might to find when the sales happen and then mix them with a trip out of town.

I do not want this to be about politics, but people in S.F. hate Walmart. Why, I do not know. Their bargains are outstanding.

Walmart in your part of CA only has stores in the East Bay. Take a trip.

Do you know the MOS team in Kent WA. Here's its website:
http://www.motoroilsupply.com
What's theire price?

Regarding SF auto stores. Grand Auto's long gone. As is Kragen. They've been replaced by O'Reily's Auto. Sears on Geary / Masonic's gone too. Hearing the name Grand Auto brings back memories from the 1990s when it was Grand Auto vs Kragen in the area.

The cheapest oil around here would probably be Walmart but you'll have to go to the warzones of the East Bay. There's one in Sunnyvale but it really sucks.

Originally Posted By: HJC
Regarding SF auto stores. Grand Auto's long gone. As is Kragen. They've been replaced by O'Reily's Auto. Sears on Geary / Masonic's gone too. Hearing the name Grand Auto brings back memories from the 1990s when it was Grand Auto vs Kragen in the area.

The cheapest oil around here would probably be Walmart but you'll have to go to the warzones of the East Bay. There's one in Sunnyvale but it really sucks.

What do you mean by "it really sucks"?

Originally Posted By: achange
Originally Posted By: LScowboy
Originally Posted By: achange
I found a distributor. How do you think about the price of mobil 1 5w30
http://allworldautomotive.com/auto_parts_for_sale_manufacturer_miscellaneous_motor_oil_ots35302.html

this place is not an authorized Exxon Mobil distributor as best I can tell, and Walmart is still cheaper at $22.47 for 5 quarts

Yep. And if there is a Walmart, the oil distributor in that area will probably go bankrupt.

There's a Wal-Mart store near most every oil distributor in the country. Most people don't buy their oil from an oil distributor. An oil distributor caters to professionals like where I work. I'm a longtime UPS journeyman semi diesel mechanic who's a Teamster. I get sick of the dumb anti Wal-Mart propaganda my union and the UFCW has pushed over the years. Working big chain retail all pays roughly the same which probably isn't good.

Walmart typically has the lowest non-sale prices on motor oil, although we have a regional chain here, Meijer, that typically offers similar prices.
The parts chains have oil and filter oil change specials every month that are sometimes a better deal than what you can get at Walmart, particularly if you want to use a high-end oil filter.
Always check for closeout or clearance deals, since these can bring you some really cheap oil.
Also, unless you hate MIRs, there are offers from time to time that will net you free or very cheap oil.
Had you asked this question a couple of years ago, for example, you'd have all of the FAR QSUD, G-Oil and Nextgen you could stand.
There will be more FAR offers in the future and that's one way to build a stash, which will then offer you a selection of oils to use for which you had very little out of pocket outlay.

Hello, After thoughtfully selecting a motor oil, learning the lowest practical $/qt. price -off set by shipping/transportation charges- shouldn't be too difficult. It's been my experience that poking my head into any store I'm near to check prices doesn't cost anything since I'm already there. Oddly enough, that's when I frequently find things on sale-oil included.

Regarding "Anti-WalMart sentiments". Part of any discussion about big chains seems always to involve the huge stores' impact on Main Street USA. It's not the only part of the discussion. In my opinion, what happens is that people without facts regarding such impact OR the effect on homogenization of consumers' options OR the paucity of US made goods in these stores OR the abysmally high amount of corn syrup fortified food products OR limited selection of greens OR the huge barrels of videos and video games etc, simply end up merely picking a side-FOR or AGAINST. It's not that simple and WalMarts are simply a continuation of well established trends.

Careful shopping for quality products is the only vote we get on this matter. I try to avoid common, cheap consumerism by keeping my purchases simple. If you buy corn syrup fortified foods and disposable bicycles at WalMart you're no more guilty than if you bought that stuff on Main St. You might be guilty of "aiming low". Kira

BJ's and Costco has a free 60 day trial membership in which you can stock up on oil.

Besides that, Walmart has every day low prices on oil.

The Walmart over in Covina on Azusa Avenue has an outstanding selection of greens and fresh vegetables in their grocery department.

As for non-perishables, I always tell people that I will pay $17.00 for a Bangladesh shirt at Walmart and $70.00 for the very same Bangladesh shirt at a California "mom-and-pop" store. I am not going to provide money as a gift to anyone to keep their business afloat. That is something for chumps, not for a retired person who has to be careful with money.

That ship sailed a long, long time ago.

On the other hand, Walmart lacks a lot of specialized items that there is a limited market for.

The original poster lives in S.F. If he makes trips to the Reno area now and then, that's also the time to stock up as Nevada sales taxes are lower. It is also funny that when you cross the California state line gasoline will drop from $4.20 or so per gallon to $3.40 or less.

Of course, since there are zero Walmarts in San Francisco, the OP will probably spend more money on bridge tolls and gas to the East Bay than what he gains from buying oil in a Walmart. I'd suggest to look for an auto parts store like O'Reilly or AutoZone and just buy what's currently on sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back