Gun oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are some of the best gun oils, and what gun parts do they lubricate?

Only thing I can think of is the slide on semi-automatics, and I heard Glocks "like not a lot of oil." Could be 100% wrong, but. Please explain?

i dont get fancy and im sure its not the best, but i stick to Remington gun oil and hoppes for cleaning solution. anything metal gets oiled not just for lubrication but for anti-rust etc. I do mine twice a year and my gun cabnet is full of clean well maintained good looking guns.

The only gun care product I own is FP10. Cleans, lubes, protects, smells like cinnamon and is (allegedly) non-toxic.

Over the past five years or so I've been using two gun oils: Aeroshell Fluid 18 and Royco CLP. Both are very light oils that are very creepy and have good EP and ain't-rust additives.

I've been getting them both from Skygeek.com. The Fluid 18 is about $30 a gallon while the Royco CLP is around $75. I usually use the CLP more for cleaning but it works very nicely as a lube too.

BSW

A guy here who goes by the user name of AMC did a lot of research on gun oils. He said that he is an armorer. Right now he seems to feel that CorrosionX is the best. He said that Breakfree had declined in quality from where it once was. He also mentioned Ballistol and Birchwood Casey Synthetic gun oil.

I am using a combination of Breakfree and Birchwood Casey PTFE synthetic gun oil to lubricate my guns. The Birchwood Casey still has PTFE at least in the older containers. And the Breakfree still can clean and protect from rust pretty good.

I might start using CorrosionX.

I am using Hoppe's at the moment just because thats what I have. I use it mostly to wipe down my guns to prevent rust. I don't put much oil at all on the innards of my guns. Seems all that does is collect more gunk. I'll wipe down the working parts the same as the exterior.

Best (gun) oil will get you many answers!

Lube only the areas the manual states, if no manual find one online. Or ask.

I use a variety of oils and a little grease depending on the gun and the weather/usage.

I use and like Corrosion X. For a bit lighter lube I use Amsoil MP. But when a light grease I use Amsoil spray grease:

Amsoil Spray Grease

Naturally I use grease when grease is called for and I also like to use it for breaking in guns with stainless/stainless slide/frame. Not too much and not in dirty environments.

For cleaning I use a 50/50 mix of Kroil/Hoppe's #9. It's the best. I "rinse" that off with a real lubricant. I really don't consider either a lube.

Strike Hold. Its a cleaner and dry lube all in one. Spray it on, let it sit for 10 minutes, wipe it off. It repels moisture and dirt. I was unsure about it at first but saw a demonstration at a gun show. Guy had a fish tank full of water, and had applied strike hold to his pistol barrel, and had it in the water. When he took it out, the water just runs off and you can feel the lube still on it. Does a great job cleaning guns too, and has many other uses as well.

The Hoppes product I'm talking about is in an orange bottle and it is the oil, not the cleaner.

It is like sewing machine oil but thicker like a 20-wt motor oil.

I have used it since I was 4 years old (believe it or not). Never a problem.

My father was an avid gunner and introduced me to shooting at 4. Shot a .22 cooey that he cut down the stock for my short arms haha.

He started shooting at 12, and I believe that is the gun oil he used as a kid as well.

http://www.hoppes.com/

EDIT: Just saw this and may get some:

http://www.hoppes.com/gun-oils/elite-gun-oil-with-t3

Maybe even use that stuff on car door hinges and in car door locks!

Last edited:
I have yet to find anything better than Weapon Shield. It is formulated by a long time lubrication engineer that is also a shooter. A true CLP, it's about all I use to maintain a gun. Loaded with EP and has done very well in all of the rust tests around the web.

I run my guns wet and the crud just wipes off, especially after a few trips to the range.

I don't like grease much on guns, but I have used the WS grease which has about the perfect consistency for guns. Fully compatible chemistry with WS as well.

I have also used the Jardine's grease and it is also excellent. It is in fact a unique product, also formulated by a lube engineer and shooter.

Quote:
and what gun parts do they lubricate?

There are lots of moving parts in guns. Any place two parts move together, they should be lubed. Even non-friction areas need corrosion protection, so those areas should get a very thin coating of oil as well. Remember that the oil itself isn't doing much to protect the metal, it is the corrosion inhibitor additives doing most of the work.

Many people compare guns to engines or other parts of a car. These are false comparisons. Other than at startup/shutdown, engines and other parts of cars mostly operate in the hydrodynamic regime, due to their spinning parts.

Other than Gatling types, guns don't have spinning parts and operate wholly in the boundary regime. This is why EP and AW are important with guns, especially with stainless steel. Surface reacting EP additives tend to smooth the asperties on the surface of the steel, lowering friction, and improving reliability.

I'd compare the workings of a firearm to what a locksmith would have to encounter in a lock mechanism.

You can over do with lube and it just gets dirty faster and jammed.

I was always an over-luber myself as it is very humid in Quebec.

I gave up and just own Stainless Steel with synthetic stocks whenever possible.

But, all the internals are still carbon steel. I just got fed up of wiping guns down after looking at them or worried if I am camping or hunting and it rains on it.

A few drops of oil in the sear mechanism or trigger group, brush and swab the bore, a few drops on the bolt, and wipe with an oily rag and done.

Don't get any lube on wood, wipe that off. Although, I have never had issues with an oily film of Hoppe's doing anything bad for wood.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back