who makes the best fuel system cleaner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i heard techron by chevron is what exists in normal shell/texaco gas (see toptiergas.com). i also used redline sl1 with good results (it is good for the reason that you can use regular, small portions all the time)

Check the top of the page
wink.gif

IMHO, BG 44K is the best "in tank" cleaner out there. It is a little on the expensive side, and not many places besides car dealers sell it.

Good stuff if you can find it however.

I have used Techron with success. I have switched to FP60 as it's more economical. The cars I drive now have never had a rough idle or stalled. The beaters I have owned did and Techron helped.

BG products are supposed to be good, I have yet to find them.

You can buy all the BG44K you want on eBay and a pretty reasonable price.

I have always had excellent results with Gumout REGANE. You pour a bottle in every 3k to 5k.

The best I've found is Techron, but haven't tried the BNG stuff yet...

Gumout Regane imo. Techron helps a little bit I have found but nothing provides as quick and impressive results as Regane I have found.

Make sure though if you get it, that you actually buy the regane. its yellow in a clear plastic bottle identical in shape and size to all the other gumout products. Is says "Regane" in very small lettering on the label, dont know why they make it that small. You would think they would want its name to be easy to spot.

For Performance per dollar its currently a tie:

Gumout Regane at Advanced Auto

STP Complete Fuel System Cleaner at Autozone

Gumout Gas Mileage Improver at Pep Boys

ALL of these are FREE after rebate at their respective stores right now. Buy one, or two and you'll be doing fine.

I've been brainwashed, I mean, convinced regarding LC and FP60. Just ordered a gallon of each...right now they are throwing in a measuring container for free!

NOW, I won't feel bad about buying the cheaper gas around town...previously I bought only Shell or Chevron. I think I'll buy some Kroger, saving 10% on gas cost while spending a little in these additives. I mean, a GALLON will last a LONG time, right?

"I mean, a GALLON will last a LONG time, right? "
---------------------------------------------------------

I thought so too and I have more than half a gallon left. However, I am seeing increased MPG (want to see it consistently before I commit to this statement), and I have family cars that I would like to "shock" dose.

With the price of gasoline nearer to 3 bucks a gallon, I may have to crunch some numbers.

*throws a grenade into thread*

MMO did a great job on my Bosch L-Jetronic Maxima. These cars were infamous for fuel injection problems, and mine had some iffy injectors. MMO really helped.

I had never used any fuel system cleaners in my Durango, which has 104,000 miles on it now. I'm not sure if the previous owner did either, so last night I went to Wal-Mart and picked up two bottles of Regane and a bottle of Lucas UCL, and dumped all of it into 25 gallons of Shell gasoline.

Not sure if what I did was the absolute best thing for it, but I'm sure it didn't hurt anything. Once I get a few miles on this tank, I'll be able to see if anything good came about from it, or if I just dumped 17 bucks out the tailpipe.

I've been impressed by how well Sea Foam cleans the aluminum intake underneath the carb. The manifolds usually have a nasty orange look from the gas, and the Sea Foam cleans them to virgin metal. That's got to be good news for the surfaces of the fuel system, but I haven't experimented with the ratio needed to maintain this cleanliness. A full dosage is expensive.

FP60 as much as possible. I need to reorder now. Techron fuel system cleaner before oil change when I can remember. Neutra 131 recently since I found a local distributor of 12oz bottles. It seemed to smooth idle and I trust the general endorsement found on this site. MMO at 1.5 the recommended treat rate when I am out of all the others. I prefer to have something in the gas tank at all times but I don't do any mixing. I alternate one product at a time. No ATF!!
nono.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back