Auto-RX clean phase pics + interesting discovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great pictures!!!It is also a smart way to discover things that isn't picked up by the oilfilter.

That's very interesting.

That stuff in the drain pan is the reason I run the engine hard to get the oil fully hot, and drain it immediately. The hot oil flows quickly, and carries any of that stuff out with it.

I also use a clean drain pan like you so I can see the dregs after an overnight settlement period. I usually top the engine off with fresh oil to the full mark prior to the oil change run.

First off this is a 2001 Saturn SC2 1.9L DOHC, bought the car at 36,550 mi, started the clean phase up till 38,223 mi, used Valvoline 10w-30 mineral. I had extra time this weekend so I cut open the filter to see what was inside.

-

-

media looked fine to me

-

-

Not much caught in the filter media so one would presume that not much carbon had been removed.

-

Small debris of carbon inside the filter.

-

I was looking at my drain pan after about half an hour of draining the oil and I spotted carbon deposits at the bottom of the pan. This pan was completely clean when draining oil, I do this on every oil change to see if anything settled to the bottom when I pour the oil out, a great indicator of what settles to the bottom of the crank case and does not get picked up by the oiling system

-

This is the carbon after wiping some paper through it, WOW I am amazed how much carbon was just sitting at the bottom not being picked up by the oil system.

I would like to thank Dr. Frank for this great product, as I mentioned what amazed me is how much carbon settled at the bottom of the pan. The previous oil that I drained had just some minor debris settle to the bottom, but nothing to this extent. Many here judge the thoroughness of AUTO-RX by how much gets held up in the filter but I just found out that may not always be the case. Hoping all that removed carbon is from the ring pack area, also let’s not forget that this is the clean phase, I have Valvoline 10w-30 dino for the rinse phase. It will be very interesting to see how the filter and the bottom pan pictures will differ after that phase is complete.

One final note: I have no idea what the previous maintenance on this vehicle was, therefore it is hard to state whether so much carbon accumulated due to the fact of poor maintenance or just regular engine wear and tear. If however the engine had regular oil changes than I am amazed at how much carbon build up is in the engine over such a small period of time. I will not be taking the valve covers off any time soon as I do not have the time right now, and I do not know whether this type of an engine is classified as a sludge monster.

I still have many months to decide whether I want to pursue the LC20 or 3oz of Auto-RX route. I did not take compression ratings before, but I would like to borrow a compression meter from a friend by the time the rinse phase is complete. Once I can take valid compression readings regardless whether I decide to go the 3oz AUTO-RX maintenance dose or LC20 route it will be nice to see if either product will keep the rings clean. I do not doubt the instructions, but those who have been hired to test these products state that there is not enough substantial evidence to support that the prescribed dosages are enough to keep the engine clean. Don’t get me wrong, after returning back to synthetics, and after achieving a full engine warm up, I love to drive my cars hard. We all know what happens when cars are driven hard, some wonderful oil cooking around the ring area, and that I hope will be reflected in future compression results.

You will not get much in filter during cleaning phase (unless your removing sludge) open filter after rinse and there is where you will see what has come out of your engine. All the dirt contaminants are lying all over oil lubricated rotating parts, ready to be rinsed and driven to filter. Thank you for photos and report.

Also you can only seen particles that are roughly 40 microns. Anything smaller then that in your oil filter will not be seen with the naked eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back