Volvo Turbos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I'm doing a double AutoRx cycle on my car ('95 volvo 850Turbo 180k miles) and a single cycle on my fathers (02 S40 turbo 45k miles).

Both engines normally run M1 0w40, and for the rinse phase I would like a good oil due to the turbos (I know it's only a 1000 miles, but oil is much cheaper than turbos). Anyway, I was thinking 15w40 Shell Rottlla T or possibly Chevron Dello400. Any words of wisdom?

Thanks guys,

Oh, I have a case of M1 T&SUV 5w40 sitting in my garage for the next chg, although I was conidering sticking with the 0w40 for the (MN) winters.

Erik

Erika,
After the Auto-rx cleaning, you might consider a 5W-40 oil instead of the Mobil 1 0W-40. I don't think that Mobil 1 is a suitably robust oil. I run Schaeffer's 5W-40, and Mobil 1 5W-40, or ConocoPhillips76Kendall 5W-40 are also some of the very good ones.

Ken

For these shorter intervals, any good GII+/GIII 10w-30 will work fine in normal service. Even with a turbo. Just don't drive it like a maniac or track it. But you'll be tempted, as you're likely going to get peppier spool up on this vis.

Save the 40 weights for the longer changes and hotter climates. The M1 0W-40 is plenty robust (and more than heavy enough - even as it shears) for either of those engines at OCIs up to 5k.

Yeah, after I posted this, I went back and did some more reading, etc...

My plan is: Rotella Syn 5w40 for both rinses and second cleaning cycle (first autoRX is in with Ow40 M1 right now). From then on, I'm going to stick with the Ow40 M1 in both these cars, as well as the '04 V70 2.5T AWD and the 02 VW Jetta GLI (24v VR6). 5k intervals in the turbos. I was using 10k intervals in the GLI, but that was with 22K+ miles/yr of mostly open freeway comute, and now the car will be getting more like 6-8k/yr of mostly city driving, so I might just start doing that one every 5k/6mo or something.

Thanks,
Erik

The 0W-40 will shear down into the 30s relatively quickly, which is not such a bad thing here.

Oiling a turbo engine is a bit of a tightrope act. You don't want to get too thick or the turbo can get sluggish, which dampens everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back