2013 Subaru Legacy Oil Weight

Status
Not open for further replies.
The manual on my new Legacy calls for 0w-20 but I have a bunch of Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 around, is it ok to change weights?

Many people are having issues with the new boxter burning oil and I would like to avoid that. Will the Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 be ok or should I stick with the Subaru (Idemitsu) oil at the recommended 0w-20?

FYI - I'll be running the OEM Subaru filter.

What engine is it? Should be fine either way except I don't know if 5w30 is warranty compliant on that model. I'd check the manual but if you don't care about your warranty it will do fine in your engine.

First welcome to BITOG!

During the warranty period I'd stick with the specified oil grade; but you could certainly use the PP for topping up if necessary.

If you can return the PP 5W-30 for refund or if that's not possible exchange it for any API 0W-20.
You don't have to stick with the Idemitsu made Subaru 0W-20. Any API 0W-20 bought on sale will do.

It's the 2.5L

I just bought it and it has a 7 year, 100k warranty so I'll stick with the 0w-20.

Now I'm wondering if it's ok to use Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20 or if I actually have to use Subaru fluids. I don't think they can legally require I use their fluids to keep my warranty.

EDIT - Post above answered my question.

Last edited:
its the FB25 engine that they started using in the 2011 forester

5w20 wouldnt bother me AT ALL.. but 5w30 may want to refrain.

Walmart at least around me carries m1 0w20 afe

and pp0w20 in 5qt jugs now.

Last edited:
Don't forget the bit in the owner's manual about 5W-40 conventional being allowed for replenishment.
lol.gif

-Dennis

Wife has a 2013 Legacy with the 2.5 FB motor. First oil change was done with Mobil 1 0w-20 AFE. Second change was PP 0w-20. Walmart got the Pennzoil in my area. Any quality 0W-20 will be fine. Knocking on wood I haven't seen any consumption problems with factory fill or either subsequent oil change. I have never had a Subie oil burner for that matter.

BTW: Congrats on the car. We love ours.

As far as I know, 0w20 is the recommended oil for the FB25. I'm not sure there's anything in the owner's manual saying 5w30 cannot be used.

My 2012 Legacy has the old EJ253 that recommends 5w30, but also includes a temperature/viscosity chart that allows just about anything under the sun.

Originally Posted By: JTK
As far as I know, 0w20 is the recommended oil for the FB25. I'm not sure there's anything in the owner's manual saying 5w30 cannot be used.

My 2012 Legacy has the old EJ253 that recommends 5w30, but also includes a temperature/viscosity chart that allows just about anything under the sun.

The viscosity chart is no more, I believe. It has already dropped from the Impreza and Forester manuals. Even the WRX and STI. As I mentioned above the manuals only refer to 5W-30 and 5W-40 for replenishment only.

The manuals now state that 0W-20 synthetic (5W-30 for turbos) is "required for optimum engine performance". Which is different than stating those grades are "required", IMO.

-Dennis

I think keeping it for top off is an excellent idea. You could always try selling it locally or exchanging anywhere that carries it like Walmart. I know most Walmart will exchange for store credit with no receipt.

Thanks for all the responses.

I had been using Pennzoil Platinum for a few years in my 4Runner and never had any issues. I was just concerned because I've heard the new FB25 is very particular about oil and many are having problems with burning up to a quart in 2,500 miles (especially with Mobil 1) and I'd like to avoid that.

I think I'll stick with PP in 0w-20 and OEM filters. I can put the 5w-30 in my gf's Highlander.

Last edited:
Use a lower NOACK 0W-20 synthetic (i.e. PP) during the warranty period and top-off with a thicker oil.

i think you are stuck with 0w20 for life, that engine has been engineered to require it. save the 5w30 for something else.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: glock19
Thanks for all the responses.

I had been using Pennzoil Platinum for a few years in my 4Runner and never had any issues. I was just concerned because I've heard the new FB25 is very particular about oil and many are having problems with burning up to a quart in 2,500 miles (especially with Mobil 1) and I'd like to avoid that.

I think I'll stick with PP in 0w-20 and OEM filters. I can put the 5w-30 in my gf's Highlander.

I am currently using the OEM black filters on our Legacy. I just can't make myself use the blue Honeywell produced OEM filters.... reminds me too much of the OCOD. Don't think you'll have any problem going with PP 0w-20; good stuff.

Originally Posted By: sopususer

I am currently using the OEM black filters on our Legacy. I just can't make myself use the blue Honeywell produced OEM filters.... reminds me too much of the OCOD. Don't think you'll have any problem going with PP 0w-20; good stuff.

Thanks. Good to hear from another Legacy owner.

Yeah, use 0w20 for the life of the car unless it gets back specced at some point to 0w16 or something.....

I use only Toyo Roki OEM filters in mine. I bought 24 of them....

I am running Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic 0w20 in mine. It seems to really like this oil. You can get it for about the same price shipped as the M1 AFE or PP.

I have watched the forums showing oil burning with the FB25 engine. I never saw the clear cause or fix except engine replacement though I did see a few examples where persons suggested a bad batch of control rings were blamed. Regardless I'm doubtful oil is an issue or a cure as many of the problems start almost imediate. I would just run the recomended weight and regularly check the oil.

My FB25 hasn't burned any oil at all in 6k. I think most people only post of oil consumption if they have it..... Most don't post if they have no issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back