Jeep Grand Cherokee gas tank skid plate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given the lack of recall, I inquired about the OEM gas tank skid plate and its $399 online & discounted.

RockAuto does not have one (yet).

I also have a new frame mounted class III trailer hitch for my Jeep in a box. (Its NOT the OEM style that has a cutout in the bumper). Wonder if that would protect the gas tank just as well?

I am thinking if you got the OEM one and they latter had a recall, then you would be compensated. Probably not so if you got an aftermarket one.

I would get the OEM one because it should be an exact fit and easy install. You could find the extra few bucks well worth it.

I've got an aftermarket hitch (Uhaul) that uses a 4 bolt mounting to the subframe. It protects the rear of the gas tank, but not the underside.

I'd put that hitch on since you already have it, and a lowering ball as well. They say "underrun" accidents from cars nose-diving with their brakes on are the culprit.

If you have a low riding ball, it'll skewer tailgaters. Maybe subconsciously they'll stay further back.

Originally Posted By: Doog
I would get the OEM one because it should be an exact fit and easy install. You could find the extra few bucks well worth it.

Is your answer about skid plate or trailer hitch? The OEM trailer hitch is not as heavy duty as the one that bolts on the frame and hangs down (I would assume).

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I'd put that hitch on since you already have it, and a lowering ball as well. They say "underrun" accidents from cars nose-diving with their brakes on are the culprit.

If you have a low riding ball, it'll skewer tailgaters. Maybe subconsciously they'll stay further back.

I am debating. The only thing I would use the trailer hitch for is to hold a 8000 Ramsey winch thats mounted on a mounting plate that will fit the 2" receiver. For my trailers, I have the pickup and its an excellent tow vehicle.

If you have the OEM Class 4, came with the trailer tow package, it bolts to the frame.

The Rear Gas skid is [censored] thick and heavy, I would just go to a junky and grab the skid, and the hitch and the bumber cut out.

Of course if a tractor trailer plows into you doing 65 MPH, while your stopped; it wont matter what you have for a rig, guess that is what started this whole non-sensical investigation.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: Doog

Is your answer about skid plate or trailer hitch? The OEM trailer hitch is not as heavy duty as the one that bolts on the frame and hangs down (I would assume).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back