Any magic bullets for increasing MPG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With gas prices heading north, again, are there any legitimate ways to meaningfully increase mpg other than:

tires properly inflated
fresh fluids and filters
engine in good tune
remove extra weight from trunk
etc.

You could look for a Underdrive pulley for your vehicle since this would decrease parasitic loses. But You would have to figure up if the intial cost would offset the MPG benefeits.

I've found FP60 and Lucas UCL to help with MPG, while no positive effect from MMO or Acetone, or other one tank cleanings like techron. I will write up my findings soon, as I think I have enough tanks for the UCL and FP60 to compare.

The biggest factor has been tires and tire pressure, and the tune-up stuff seems to be close to the effect of the above gas additives.

The biggest factor is your right foot.
burnout.gif

Next would be tires.

Make sure your engine is running correctly.

Thats about it.
cheers.gif

Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Go:

I've done a lot of experimenting with my digital instant, average & trip MPG system during the last gas spike, so here you ( and other BITOG'ers too...)

1) When I follewed behind a moderately larger vehicle in the draft (without being too close - duh
nono.gif
), I got 1-2 MPG higher.

2) When you know you'll be slowing down for a stop sign or light, let off the gas way before when you know you'll coast to the stop.
smile.gif

3) Run Chevron Techron in your tank and rev 'er up a few times with it in to blow the carbon out and I saw a distinct gas mileage increase for a while.
smile.gif

cheers.gif

These are some fuel saving tips I can think of.

No drag race starts

Do not exceed the speed limit, and where possible, drive under it.

No passing unless really necessary

If your car has an upshift light, obey it

Keep alignment in spec

Don't carry un-necessary weight

If you have more than one gas station in the area you drive, don't fill your tank more than half way. Think of the weight of 10 gallons of gas versus 18 or 20 gallons

Use the lightest grade of oil specified for your engine, and of course keep it properly tuned up

When traveling up a hill, if traffic conditions permit, allow your car to slow down by 5 mph or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back