Average auto A/C BTU rating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something in another thread made me curious- what is the average rating for automotive A/C? I've heard about 20kbtu is average. Anyone have any idea about the truth of the matter?

This link says it's around 18,000 BTU:

http://www.heco.net/maincat/compressors.pdf

I'm sure it's highly variable depending on vehicle type. A large SUV or minivan with rear HVAC systems will likely have larger capacity than a compact car.

As a point of reference, advertising for our Acura MDX claims 19,000, and someone noted that his Acura Vigor's system was 18,000. Those are the only data points of which I'm aware.

I was told my 1970 Impala had the equivalent of nearly 3 tons of AC power! I rebuilt the system and had to buy a bunch of new parts, and in the course of running down OEM stuff at better-than-stealership prices I was told this factoid.

I was told that a car air conditioner takes about 8 HP to run. That converts to abot 20,356 BTU/hr or 1.7 tons. So 18,000 BTU seems correct.

Also the above link shows that car A/C compressors generate more cooling at high rpms, up to 40,000 BTUs.

Last edited:
our minivan A/C, I was told, was the equivalent to what a 1500 sq foot house needs.... so 2 tons? 24,000 btu.

unlike a home a/c which gets to run all day, we get in that little 40sq' foot van and want it cold NOW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back