Glue in a new Amsoil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I was about to install this filter in a race, expensive, car, when I saw this:

2013_06_04_1497.jpg

I think it's just glue used to seal the filter media to the bottom, BUT...
is this glue going to unstick/melt down and go in the engine?

Even a 0.01% probability would be too much...

Thanks

15 dollar filter VS ??? dollar race engine not this guy will it come off don't know can it I am not one to take that chance.

I wouldn't worry- if that piece of glue comes loose or melts, then all the rest would come loose or melt as well and you'd have bigger problems.

BTW- from the construction of the bypass valve retainer, its (again...) apparent that the Amsoil and Royal Purple filters (among others) are all made by the same folks.

I would put a screw driver in there to see if it it can be knocked loose or to judge if it has a strong bond. If it comes loose I would return the filter as defective, or try to get it all out. It is on the clean side of the media and if it comes loose, no telling where it will end up or what it screws up.

sloppy work, Amsoil, is this a Wix-made Amsoil or a Champion-made Amsoil? - it appears to be a Champion from the photo.

I think they need to send you a free replacement and you need to donate that one to BiTOG science by cutting it open!
35.gif

Good thing you looked, its on the clean side, headed to the engine! If its a glue its rated for oil temps, its not going to melt. No doubt that would get hung up somewhere if broke free with oil flowing under pressure which is very likely looking at it. Most wouldn't have looked, blinded by brand name.

Disagree with Pablo, if Amsoil cares about quality they will want to test it, you should contact corporate.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals

Disagree with Pablo, if Amsoil cares about quality they will want to test it, you should contact corporate.

When did I say it shouldn't be returned? In fact that's what I said. Get it back to the dealer, get an exchange. OP shouldn't hassle the return, dealer should.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

When did I say it shouldn't be returned? In fact that's what I said. Get it back to the dealer, get an exchange. OP shouldn't hassle the return, dealer should.

Thats what I disagreed with. A dealer or reseller exchanging doesn't care and will just mark it as a return. Corporate wants that filter directly for quality purposes. Unless the dealer marks the filter as defective corporate will lose a chance to monitor quality. Corporate will do the same thing as the dealer would, take care of it, maybe give him stuff like Fram did for another guy.

A dealer or reseller exchanging doesn't care and will just toss it.

Huh? That's untrue and speculation on your part.

I have no problem if the end user wants to return it directly, but I'm all about getting the consumer whole - either get him a replacement filter or money back and THEN get the filter back for analysis. That's why I'm here.

If the glue isn't going to melt when you run oil through the filter, i doubt its going anywhere during the regular OCI.

I would probably poke at it with a long object first to see if its in there good and if it doesn't budge then go from there.

Looks to me like it could be a grease type substance?

I'm sorry I now realize it'd been better not to name the brand of the filter, it was not my intention to bash anyone.

Yes, it's on the engine side, that's why I'm bit worried as I use very tight clearances in that 40,000 USD race engine.
I always check and vacuum clean all the filters, and that's why I'd avoid to poke it with a long object (filter is 6" long), as you'll never know if some tiny particles will get captured there in the media, ready to be pushed in the engine at the first start.

Will contact my USA dealer.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: Wolf_Tm250
I'm sorry I now realize it'd been better not to name the brand of the filter, it was not my intention to bash anyone.

What the helll?

OF COURSE you name the brand of the filter! - otherwise corporations will not ever clean up shoddy quality control!

This is the whole reason for a forum like this, to compare notes with others, that's what makes filters and oil improve over time!

Thanks

I saw no bashing in this thread.

I think Amsoil can wear big boy pants by now, subject as they are to the issues caused by multiple filter manufacturers over the years.

Originally Posted By: LScowboy

What the helll?

OF COURSE you name the brand of the filter! - otherwise corporations will not ever clean up shoddy quality control!

This is the whole reason for a forum like this, to compare notes with others, that's what makes filters and oil improve over time!

I agree, but what I meant is that before name the brand, probably it'd be better for me to understand if that "glue" was really a bad thing or not.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Thanks

I saw no bashing in this thread.

I think Amsoil can wear big boy pants by now, subject as they are to the issues caused by multiple filter manufacturers over the years.

Ok, thanks a lot.

Thanks for posting. My responses were to help quality, nothing else. What we learned is you cant assume by brand name its perfect, nobody is, always inspect. There are filter posts with pics for many brands on here with different failures/problems.

Also, would think on a racing engine its all about flow. Flow would be the lowest efficiency filter you can get. Just enough to catch a hunk of metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back