Installing new brakes today...bed-in or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: oilmaven
I'm having the front brakes replaced on the van today. Although the pads still show quite a bit of "meat" on them, the rotors are pretty warped and its bothering me enough to just replace them. I was able to get some OEM Ford pads (recommended on a forum for the vehicle and very reasonably priced) and have specified higher quality rotors be used (probably NAPA or Car Quest brand). Any opinions here as to whether its a good idea to use an aggressive "bed-in" (procedures for this are available) when they're new or just use them gently for a couple of hundred miles?

Use the pad recommendation procedure.... Not the rotor.

Here's a common one:

http://zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

Last edited:
Rotors don't warp...it is uneven brake pad material deposited on the rotor that gives that sensation.

However depending on the metallurgy on the rotor and brake pad material. Pads have been known to destroy lesser quality rotors quite quickly leaving the pad virtually intact.

The big thing is to makes sure the calipers work freely and apply pressure evenly on both sides of the rotor.

After all the brake threads on BITOG, when I did new pads and rotors last month on both vehicles, I went with the slightly more aggressive break in of ~7-8 moderate stops from 60 to 10 mph.
No issues so far. Can't compare vs a gentle bed-in, though.

Originally Posted By: Mr_Incredible
Drive them normally for the first 100 miles. Then drive them normally for the next 50,000 miles.

this!

Always worked for me.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
I had a set of Wagner TQs and OEM Ford on my FX4 within a few thousand miles of each other due to a problem with a front caliper (TQs first and OEM next). The braking power of the OEM pads dwarfed the TQs; so I put a strong vote for the OEMs. Additionally, the original Ford OEMs are still on the rear and have plenty of pad left. The original front pads lasted into the 80K range, which again is a testament to the durability of the pads.

I bedded the TQs, because the braking power was quite weak immediately after the brake job. I did not bed the Ford OEMs because they grabbed harder from the start. I think you should do whatever makes you feel comfortable, but should not brake too hard when bedding them if you choose to do that.

Were they the same type of pads? Ceramic or semi- metallic? Same ratings FF GG?

TQs were ceramic; not sure about the OEM. No idea about the ratings. However, the fact the OEM went 80K on the front and over 100K on the rear (and still going) while towing for 45K of the 100K is more than enough testimony for this BITOG'er to stick with the Ford OEM pads from this point forward.

I like to take a trip up into the mountains and run it hard.

Beds the brakes in perfectly everytime.

I don't let up until I smell them. Then I pull over and let them cool down. I do this twice and the pads/rotors seem to last forever.

Originally Posted By: Danno
Looking for input on a technique I use to preserve brakes. If I come to a stop from a high speed and face a longish wait - say at a traffic light - I will leave enough space to the car in front of me that I will roll forward a foot or so every 15 seconds to keep the pads moving over the disc surface and not stay on one spot for the full 2 minutes that I have to wait for the light to change.

Thoughts on whether this might help prevent brake warping?

Why not put the car in N for long waits...? I do that with my MT (on flat roads of course)...with no pressure on the clutch and brake pedals.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Danno
Looking for input on a technique I use to preserve brakes. If I come to a stop from a high speed and face a longish wait - say at a traffic light - I will leave enough space to the car in front of me that I will roll forward a foot or so every 15 seconds to keep the pads moving over the disc surface and not stay on one spot for the full 2 minutes that I have to wait for the light to change.

Thoughts on whether this might help prevent brake warping?

If I have to come to a stop from high speed I usually leave myself several car lengths between me and the car in front of me after I've almost completely slowed down. From there I just roll forward gently until it's time to stop. This keeps the rotors turning in the pads for that last few seconds while they come down to normal temp.

I've never had issues with a pulsing brake pedal.

Originally Posted By: LckydevL

I like to take a trip up into the mountains and run it hard.

Beds the brakes in perfectly everytime.

I don't let up until I smell them. Then I pull over and let them cool down. I do this twice and the pads/rotors seem to last forever.

You did everything correct except pulling over. You need to drive without touching the brakes until they cool. This can be a while in some cars, not very long in others.

Either way bedding is far from a 'needed' procedure for most cars, and only appreciated by track rats and other enthusiasts who want optimal performance from their brakes.

Just an anecdote; I had pulsing brakes on my van and just accepted that the rotors were wrapped. Sometime ago, I had to panic brake. Afterwards, I realized that I had no more pulsing brakes!

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Just an anecdote; I had pulsing brakes on my van and just accepted that the rotors were wrapped. Sometime ago, I had to panic brake. Afterwards, I realized that I had no more pulsing brakes!

About 6 years ago I discovered the bedding idea. Now whenever our fleet trucks have a vibration I check out the braking system and then take it for a little spin down my 'bedding' road.

I have cured a LOT of what we used to call warped rotors this way!

Lots cheaper...

Originally Posted By: Vikas

WRAPPED??? Warped?

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
C'mon, you knew what he meant...

Grammar and spelling police on alert!

This is an international forum where many readers are NOT speakers/readers/writers of English as a 1st language....

...please be courteous of those who may be confused by misspelled words that are correct spellings of OTHER words....spell-check cannot be relied upon to find and correct such words...

Last edited:
And "be courteous of those..." isn't exactly smooth grammatically either. So the question becomes do we nitpick every spelling and grammar error or do we use uncommon sense and think just a bit to figure out the meaning?

Ever hear the word context? It's a clue!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back