2014 Acura RLX Suspension Walkaround

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/track-tests/2014-acura-rlx-suspension-walkaround.html

It has an interesting rear $teering arrangement.

Fixed that for you!
grin2.gif

Pass...

AWD will return next year or later this year using electric motors in the rear, in some sort of combination with a hybrid powertrain.

Acura seems content to keep this car a low-volume seller, with the pricing it's putting on the it.

Another question; how did they get 310 hp out of the same 3.5 V6? Is Honda doing direct injection on this model?

If anybody is in the market for RL or RLX, just pick them up cheap when they come off the lease. If my calculations are not wrong, it has the largest percentage depreciation of all the Honda/Acura models. I would be hard pressed to find the least popular car between ZDX, Crosstour and RL/RLX! At least with RL/RLX, you do get a non-hideous looking vehicle :)

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Is Honda doing direct injection on this model?

Yes. The RLX and Accord I believe are the only two to get the direct-injected J35 V-6 at this point. Others will follow I'm sure.

I've driven the RLX. Here are my impressions.

Appearance: it's a little too conservative on the outside IMO but it is a handsome vehicle that has somewhat of a "presence" that doesn't show in the pictures. I suspect shoppers for this type of a car will want a little bit more of a statement though.

Interior: the design of it looks somewhat plain which may not fly in this class however I can assure you the materials and build quality are even better than BMW or Audi (yes, really). Those may have more sophisticated designs but there are more hard plastics in them than the Acura where everything is beautifully soft and smooth. Another thing I can appreciate about it is there are still some buttons for important functions. I think Cadillac's CUE is a terrible idea as a driver cannot reach down and instinctively know what control he's touching without taking his eyes off of the road.

Engine: the new engine is potent and moves the car along easily but is quite muted in the cabin. I guess that's what people want from a car like this.

Handling: Probably because of the P-AWS (precision all wheel steering) the car handles like a smaller lighter car. You won't think you can throw it around like a Mini but it was a very pleasant surprise.

Technology: the Krell audio system was amazing which is quite a statement considering the ELS system is still one of the best around. However many people don't have media that can take full advantage of the fidelity. It also has stuff like Lane Departure Warning which worked really well. I didn't get to try the active cruise control or the collision mitigating braking system (thankfully).

All in all it's a really nice car but I don't know as it has the "wow factor" it needs. Supposedly, from some insiders who have driven it, the e-SH-AWD version will be a performance game-changer but I maintain that Acura made a miscalculation by letting the base FWD version be people's first impression of the car.

Last edited:
It's not a bad car, but due to the competition it will sell as poorly as it's predecessor. When I was selling Acura, there was virtually no interest in the RL. Lease it new but don't buy it unless it is used, off of lease.

When the previous RL came out, SH-AWD was literally the most advanced AWD system in the world and it performed really well but they did a terrible job of marketing it and the lack of rear seat legroom turned off many who otherwise would've been interested.

There are a lot of cars that are very appealing to a small number of people, but don't make it as mass-market vehicles. Like the Prowler and Crossfire. Neither sold in enough volume to justify dealer lot space, but both were still neat cars in their own ways.

There are a lot of cars that are very appealing to a small number of people, but don't make it as mass-market vehicles. Like the Prowler and Crossfire. Neither sold in enough volume to justify dealer lot space, but both were still neat cars in their own ways.

Good point, there's a LOT more of those. Just depends on how you set up the search...

Judging by the outrageously high pricing (starts at 49k?) Honda doesn't want to sell very many of these. For what appears to be a mainstream luxury car I am puzzled by the strategy..

Last edited:

How in the heck can you compare a normal luxury sedan to niche cars like that? As I said, the problem wasn't that the RL was a niche vehicle, it was marketed poorly (barely at all) and it had poor rear seat legroom for buyers to take grown family members or business associates around with them.

That's a nice looking car. I'd drive it.

On second though, at that price point I think the first car I'd look at is the 300C SRT-8.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Good point, there's a LOT more of those. Just depends on how you set up the search...

Judging by the outrageously high pricing (starts at 49k?) Honda doesn't want to sell very many of these. For what appears to be a mainstream luxury car I am puzzled by the strategy..

I feel the RLX falls short of what it needs to be but at the same time I feel compelled to add perspective that seems to be missing here.
For the same money as a RLX with Nav you can get an Audi A6 with front wheel drive (but no P-AWS), a 4 cylinder engine (with 99 fewer horsepower), and lacking other equipment the RLX has. So why would it be any worse than the previously mentioned A6 which is a joke for that amount of money? Sure the A6 can be optioned up to easily beat the RLX but in an apples to apples to comparison it starts off better.

Back on topic, whether you like the pricing of the overall car or not, if you read through that suspension analysis, there's some really really slick engineering they did there; love that kind of problem solving.

Caliper covers with Acura logos to make run-of-the-mill single-piston sliding calipers look more premium?

That is like finding out your date is stuffing her bra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back