grooved rotor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that from one of your Saturns?
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Yeppers.
frown.gif

Pedal was soft on the first stop of the day, so I got in there to see what was going on. Pad still had tons of meat, and the rotor was about three years old. No idea what caused the grooves. Chinese rotor, Hawk street pad.

My factory Toyota rotors looked like that too. Wasn't the rotors that were cheap
grin.gif
Replace those pads till ya cant anymore.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
The pad fit great, I tell ya!

That's not "grooved", those are rust ridges. Your friction surface has no grooves to speak of.

The ridges can be chipped off with an 8oz ball-peen hammer.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
The pad fit great, I tell ya!

That's not "grooved", those are rust ridges. Your friction surface has no grooves to speak of.

The ridges can be chipped off with an 8oz ball-peen hammer.

Argghh wish I'd known that. Replaced the rear rotors in the old Camry because of a grinding noise turning. Was scraping the caliper. I could have made it to 300k on those old rotors. But nooo I had to spend money on the rusting hulk.

That ain't nuthin. California does not care what kind of condition your car is in as long as it's registered and passes the smog test.

heck I drove for over 10 yrs with a spidered windshield.

Stuff like this rotor are the norm here.

Nah they're grooved. There's a nice deep one on the inside lip where the pad has a corresponding high spot.

IMG_0119_zps80fd2c2d.jpg

IMG_0120_zps1b45e441.jpg

I've seen worse rusted rotors myself, I just think it's cute the pad likes to follow it around like a kid's train set on Xmas.

And something was going on that made the pedal spongy, whether it was cocking the pads sideways or whatever.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
That ain't nuthin. California does not care what kind of condition your car is in as long as it's registered and passes the smog test.

I can beat that.

From a neighbor's Aerostar:
aerostar_new-old_rotors.jpg

Nah they're grooved. There's a nice deep one on the inside lip where the pad has a corresponding high spot.

Better pics help. But that's still rust, and not really grooves. What you have is very typical for north-eastern vehicles.

IMG_0119_zps80fd2c2d.jpg

IMG_0120_zps1b45e441.jpg

I've seen worse rusted rotors myself, I just think it's cute the pad likes to follow it around like a kid's train set on Xmas.

And something was going on that made the pedal spongy, whether it was cocking the pads sideways or whatever.

Those look like "pads tomorrow" rotors. Tomorrow never came.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
Originally Posted By: Chris142

I can beat that.

From a neighbor's Aerostar:
aerostar_new-old_rotors.jpg

Why would you work on that? The kind of people that sue.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals

Those look like "pads tomorrow" rotors. Tomorrow never came.

Pads had tons of life left, probably only 15-20k on them. They replaced ten year old pads that rusted out and the backing plate unglued from the friction material. So I'm easy on brakes as far as friction goes. The slidy pins, caliper etc were in fine shape, still lubed etc.

I'm going to agree with an above poster, the Hawk pads are just hard on rotors. If you run your fingernail on this it's like a very deep vinyl record.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back