Flat storm shelters in the garage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, having had way too many close calls this tornado season, the wife pulled rank and said we "will" be getting a shelter this year.....which means I'll be doing it. Some room in the backyard, but getting equipment back there to dig and put in one of those semi-above ground shelters would really wreck my yard. With that in mind, I've been researching those garage flat storm shelters and after seeing what it did to Moore and left nothing but slabs, I think I'll go that way. My question, if they cut out a part of the slab inside the garage, would it not maybe effect the foundation? House has been solid ever since I bought it and don't really have any cracks anywhere. The house is a slab house with brick. Would installing one of these later lead to foundation problems? They are popular here in Oklahoma, but the soil types can differ from mile to mile. Kind of like the idea of having an enclosed shelter to get into instead of running outside. I have enough room to move my Accord forward to be able for the 3 of us and a barky-arshe dog to get inside. Just wondering about the effects on the overall foundation.

I guess you have to ask around and visit people who have had them installed. But it will not disturb the foundation, only the slab.

Glad I do not live in a fly-over state.

Maybe something else to think of, if you do have a storm and the house falls in on itself, wouldn't you be trapped underneath it till someone comes and cuts you out? How would you contact them and how long can you stay inside said shelter. I'd much rather have it set apart from house for that reason.

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
Maybe something else to think of, if you do have a storm and the house falls in on itself, wouldn't you be trapped underneath it till someone comes and cuts you out? How would you contact them and how long can you stay inside said shelter. I'd much rather have it set apart from house for that reason.

Good Points....

Listened to a whole show on this and perhaps a community (neighborhood) effort might be in order. Particularly un-American, I know (lol), but I think pooling resources might be a better plan.

http://www.americanownews.com/story/18374597/school-bus-converted-into-underground-storm-shelter

Realize later in life, how much I do not know, that dropping down into an underground shelter might not be feasible if elderly or disabled. The guy on the show works for NOAA and installed an above ground shelter; it was cost effective ONLY because he was doing new construction. 15 seconds, bedroom to shelter, Handicap accessible.

edit; here is the show
http://onpoint.wbur.org/2013/05/22/oklahoma-superstorm-preparation

The preparation for living during the Wizard of Oz, some how lost.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GreeCguy

Seems I saw a few that had sliding doors on them, rather than doors that hinge up. If the sliding door slides into a recess it would be foolproof.

We don't have storms like you do, but the thought of an underground shelter does not appeal to me for reasons stated above. If it was my house I would carve out a 6' by 8' or so first floor room or in the garage, cinder block on 4 sides, rebar down the cinder block and fill the holes with cement. Some kind of steel bracing for the ceiling, steel entry door. Tight quarters but it should still be standing even if the house isn't.

Quote:
=Corvette Owner Seems I saw a few that had sliding doors on them, rather than doors that hinge up. If the sliding door slides into a recess it would be foolproof.

I still would be concerned, even with recessed sliding doors. Say for example the roof pancakes on top of the shelter or a wall falls down on the shelter doors with debris on top of that. It's not something you can simply push out of the way. If there happened to be flooding, (say from a broken water main) and you were trapped beneath the house and it slowly filled with water, that would be a rough way to go.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I guess you have to ask around and visit people who have had them installed. But it will not disturb the foundation, only the slab.

Actually...you do live in a fly-over state...but we're just too polite to call it that...

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
Well, having had way too many close calls this tornado season, the wife pulled rank and said we "will" be getting a shelter this year.....which means I'll be doing it. Some room in the backyard, but getting equipment back there to dig and put in one of those semi-above ground shelters would really wreck my yard. With that in mind, I've been researching those garage flat storm shelters and after seeing what it did to Moore and left nothing but slabs, I think I'll go that way. My question, if they cut out a part of the slab inside the garage, would it not maybe effect the foundation? House has been solid ever since I bought it and don't really have any cracks anywhere. The house is a slab house with brick. Would installing one of these later lead to foundation problems? They are popular here in Oklahoma, but the soil types can differ from mile to mile. Kind of like the idea of having an enclosed shelter to get into instead of running outside. I have enough room to move my Accord forward to be able for the 3 of us and a barky-arshe dog to get inside. Just wondering about the effects on the overall foundation.

Something like this I would leave to the experts.

But no annoying billboards :(on the highways
Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: Donald

Actually...you do live in a fly-over state...but we're just too polite to call it that...

I watched cnn about this. when you build one of these shelters inside your garage, your supposed to inform local ems that you have one for your home. so if your home is demolished in a tornado, they know where to start looking first.

Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2
How about having a hole dug in your driveway and install a septic tank?

http://www.monarchproducts.net/catalog/pdf/septic/ST-10.pdf

Somebody on the radio said this can all be done for a couple of grand. You might make a few modifications, but this is the easy/cheap way out.

THis makes sense to me, except arent the concrete covers for the tanks quite heavy?

WHats nice is that one could notionally run power from the home to the tank underground through piping that would normally be used in/out of the tank. Even perhaps a water pipe could be routed out there...

'Fly-over' states? I have never been able to understand people who feel the only worthwhile parts of the USA are California, maybe the rest of the west coast, and the east coast. Are the people in Oklahoma somehow supposed to be less human and less respectable than people in California and New York? It has been my experience that quality depends on the individual and not on where they live.

I saw some shelters that did save people in Moore Oklahoma. One of them was in a garage and had a sliding entry door that could be secured. And like was said above maybe it could do double duty to help with oil changes. It worked-it saved lives.

I have seen four tornadoes in my life. One of them was on the ground and heading towards my house until it changed directions and went north. I would not wish that kind of destruction on anybody. Even in fly-over states. And I live in a fly over state and I like where I live just fine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2
How about having a hole dug in your driveway and install a septic tank?

http://www.monarchproducts.net/catalog/pdf/septic/ST-10.pdf

Somebody on the radio said this can all be done for a couple of grand. You might make a few modifications, but this is the easy/cheap way out.

THis makes sense to me, except arent the concrete covers for the tanks quite heavy?

WHats nice is that one could notionally run power from the home to the tank underground through piping that would normally be used in/out of the tank. Even perhaps a water pipe could be routed out there...

30 or 40 lbs...this might be an area that would need some change. You would want a lock from the inside with lever so the tornado could not rip it off.

Why did a topic as serious as this turn into a topic about fly over states? People died in these tragedies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back