UCL usage rate and crankcase oil consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have any of you experimented with the ratio of UCL in the gas and its influence on crankcase oil consumption? FP, Lucas UCL, ATF, etc...

I generally run between 1:500 and 1:1000 UCL to gas, and find it has a marked influence on the amount of crankcase oil used by the engine. I first noticed this in my lawn equipment some years ago with ATF. I want evidence that the UCL is wetting the top ring, and the influence on oil consumption is giving it to me. But I don't want to stop oil flow from the crankcase past the top ring though, as this oil has the ZDDP in it.

I've stopped using ATF recently, and have begun using Lucas UCL. The ATF is a little more effective in controlling oil loss rate, but I feel alot better about using the Lucas from a sooting and ashing standpoint. I've entered the 21st century.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Anecdotally I do agree with your findings and ratios when blending 2-stroke oil in 4 stroke motors.

I am always so pleased at the condition of the upper cylinder bores in my 2-stroke stuff when I pull the heads. That has influenced me to add UCL to the gas in my 4-stroke engines.

Pablo, what ratio of 2-stroke oil do you use in the gas of 4-stroke engines?

i read a article years ago about honda and williams formula 1 engines in the mega-boost days using all kinds of stuff as upper cylinder lubricants to keep the very hot running engines from cooking themselves on the first lap. if i remember honda wound up using a blend of good old 2 stroke oil and some synthetic light oils. williams used synthetic 2 stroke oil. i think that they were on to something there. how much does lucas ucl cost?

The Lucas UCL costs me about $26/gallon full price at NAPA. The recommended dosage leaves the pistons too bare, so I cut it back to 1:1000 or slightly richer. I'm just starting to blend it with 2-stroke oil, so I have no conclusive results as of yet on that blend.

Here's my witches brew: 1/3 each of MMO, Lucas UCL,and Mobil Racing 2T. This is mixed in a 32? OZ. Lucas container and added at the rate of 4 OZ. to 12 Gal. gas. I've been using this mix for awhile on several vehicles and the outdoor power equipment. I can't say with scientific accuracy but I think engine smothness at idle has been improved. I also believe this type of mix would increase lubrication throughout the fuel system. Proof that anything is happening except for a lighter wallet? That would be hard to come by I reckon.
dunno.gif
Rickey.

Rodbuckler please don't take my comment as being in disagreement with your findings. I apologise if it sounded that way.
smile.gif
Obviously cleaning the tops of pistons is noteworthy and could indicate a more thorough combustion process,better deposit control or both. I like the idea of increased lubricity in the top end area as well as lubrication for the fuel system components. And by "proof" I meant proof in the scientific sense. I for one would like to see scientific testing in this regard. By the way my main purpose for the MMO in the "brew" is to cut costs a bit. Good luck. Rickey.

Rickey - I didn't misinterpret your post. I was using MMO, but then switched to ATF for economy. I don't think that was a good decision, but the ATF did limit oil consumption. I am currently playing with Pennzoil semi-synthetic 2-stroke oil at $8/gal mixed with the Lucas UCL.

Shannow - What ratio mix do you use, and why do you use it?

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Anecdotally I do agree with your findings....

The plural of anectote is NOT data.

Why is a change in crankcase oil consumption a recommendation for upper cylinder lube? I don't see a need for a UCL, in any case. The oil control rings are supposed to leave a very small film of engine oil on the cylinder wall to lube the piston skirt and rings. This oil will be consumed. And, I'd never use ATF in fuel...ATF has metallic salt compounds as dispersants that form an abrasive ash after burning.

Ken

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:
Why is a change in crankcase oil consumption a recommendation for upper cylinder lube?

It's not. It is just evidence that the UCL made it to the UC, for better or worse. In the case of 2-stroke oil, I would guess it is for the better.

Rodbuckler, I use 1:1000 of Lucas, and 1:1000 of two stroke.

By diluting my (expensive) additives with (inexpensive) two stroke, I waste less lucas by overdosing.

Thanks Shannow.

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:
I don't see a need for a UCL, in any case.

The UCL serves other critical functions. If the UCL just kept the back of the intake valve clean, that would be reason enough for me to use it.

my vehicles never use a measurable quantity of oil, een over many thousands of miles... My saab goes well over 10k miles without a notable difference in level... Should I be worried???

The presence of UCL instead of lube oil presents an opportunity to get into the bulk lube oil... thus the reason why we see varied UOAs when lots of additives and UCLs are used... FP doesnt do this, but supposedly even lucas will.

Is it really a necessity to hae ZDDP at the UC interfaces? Or can other things do the job?

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by Rickey:
Proof that anything is happening except for a lighter wallet? That would be hard to come by I reckon.

Interesting mix. I notice a change in the carbon on the piston crown, and change in the oil use as well when using UCL. You might track these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back