Castrol Edge 0w40 VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
I suspect Edge 0W-40 will be similar and IIRC PU 5W-40 and 0W-40 are nominally around 11.5% as well.

So M1 0W-40 has 20 point higher VI and a NOACK under 9%.
To consider buying either BC, GC or PU it would have to be pretty cheap over the already inexpensive and readily available M1.

I am going to have to agree with you. When price,availability and certifications are all taken into account M1 0w-40 is very tough to beat if an engine requires those certifications.
There are better oils out there in my opinion however once the whole package is considered Overkill pretty much nailed it.
"Nectar of the Gods"
PU is a better oil in my opinion however since availability is sporadic,if even attainable. Or has to be ordered online. If I'm going to order oil Amsoil is pretty much the top of the food chain in that department so if I've gotta order oil its going to be Amsoil.
Tough to find it on rollback though,so while you guys talk shop about these top notch products I'm going to count my change so I can get a jug of PYB.

Thanks again for the VOA. It looks like all the other light 40 weight Euro spec oils. I will stick to Mobil 1 0W-40 in my GTI. Now that it's $4.49 a quart everyday. There isn't a reason to search out another oil for my application.

Originally Posted By: Ibrahim
Thanks for sharing this VOA, but overall I too think that M1 Euro has an upper hand!

I agree!

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
To consider buying either BC, GC or PU it would have to be pretty cheap over the already inexpensive and readily available M1.

True. Some stores here do have occasional BOGO sales on Castrol, in which case it may make sense to buy.

Originally Posted By: Leonardo629
I thought VOA only tells half of the story if not less, shouldn't we reserve our judgement before an UOA surfaces?

You are correct: a VOA is only part of the story. But many of us are still curious what's even in the oil to start with.

Thanks for the VOA, Dan. I was going to do one on the stuff I picked up from the AAP sale last month, but never got around to it.

Very disappointed to see there's almost no moly or boron in the BC. It looks like GC doesn't have any either. Good thing I only have one change of each, then it's back to M1.

That's weird, why isn't their any Titanium? It's meant to have Titanium in it according to Castrol... that's what their Fluid Strength Technology is.

Originally Posted By: LoveOil
That's weird, why isn't their any Titanium? It's meant to have Titanium in it according to Castrol... that's what their Fluid Strength Technology is.

the ones that have titanium are labeled as "titanium fluid strength technology" or "FST Titanium." the PDS for this oil doesn't mention titanium anywhere.

Originally Posted By: LoveOil

Castrol puts their current Titanium oils in gold bottles. Castrol 0w40 is an a black bottle.

That is why there is no titanium.

Exactly.

"Edge with Syntec Power Technology" in a black bottle is their 'value' synthetic.

"Edge with Fluid Strength Technology" in a gold bottle is their top of the line synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back