PYB 5w-20; 1k miles; Honda Civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't figure out how to post it. But I only ran the oil pyb 5w20 for 1,000 miles because at certain rpms the engine make a rattle sound. Well they said my iron was at 5 and said its a little high and could stand to read lower but everything else was great. Any opinions on this? It's on the honda civic has the. D17 engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
5 ppm of iron at 1000 miles is really quite meaningless, I'm afraid.

As far as how to post the report, it's best if you just type it up.

Aluminum 3
Chromium 1
Iron 5
Copper 1
Lead 0
Tin 0
Molybdenum 23
Nickel 0
Manganese 0
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 0
Boron 134
Silicon 7
Sodium 6
Calcium 1717
Magnesium 206
Phosphorus 688
Zinc 818
Barium 0
Sus viscosity @210 52.5
Cst viscosity @100 8.04
Flashpoint 405
Fuel Antifreeze 0
Water 0
Insolubles 0.2
Oil run 1,000 pyb 5w20
Oil before Mobil 1 5w30

Well, like I said before, wear metals will always be somewhat higher right at the beginning of an OCI, and then they'll level off, so they'll decrease on a per mile basis. There is nothing alarming in this UOA.

Even trying to account for the short run and the M1 you ran before, that does not look like PYB at all, although it is a 5w20 no doubt.

PYB uses much more molybdenum than this, doesn't use magnesium, and should have more calcium, too. I might ask the lab if they're sure these are the correct data.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
PYB uses much more molybdenum than this, doesn't use magnesium, and should have more calcium, too. I might ask the lab if they're sure these are the correct data.

I agree, I think the magnesium came from the prior run of M1, but the calcium and moly are both way, way low for PYB even if it is a first run of it.

Well It was just pennzoil Dino 5w20.... I don't know maybe the oil has changed ? Or they just screwed up. Took them two months to do it you would think it would be a perfect analysis.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
A busted rod bearing may produce hunks of metal too large to appear in a lab particle sample.

I doubt it has any issues like that. We are talking about a honda that's been religiously maintained and 122,000 miles......
The noise hasn't gotten better or worse either it just there.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
A busted rod bearing may produce hunks of metal too large to appear in a lab particle sample.

I doubt it has any issues like that. We are talking about a honda that's been religiously maintained and 122,000 miles......
The noise hasn't gotten better or worse either it just there.

Post a video with the noise.

Then we guessing about the rattle based on a UOA. A UOA will tell you how the oil is doing, how the engine is wearing, but may not tell you if somethings broke.

I could post a video of it but none of the other forums knew what it was either. One other guy had the same exact noise and he's had it for 5 yrs and 100,000+ miles and no issues.

So what oil is in it now? Did you also change the filter? Has the sound changed at all with the change in oil and/or filter? Have the valves ever been adjusted?

I still believe I'd call the lab about the results they sent you. The oil has about 10% of the molybdenum normally seen in Pennzoil (and only about 20% of what the Mobil 1 would have). The Magnesium is very high; typical for Mobil 1, but very atypical for Pennzoil, and higher than what I'd expect if the oil were truly changed 1,000 miles ago. The calcium is also low for Pennzoil. The Mobil 1 and Pennzoil both contain more calcium than this I believe.

It is possible that Pennzoil's formula has changed, but if it has, it has changed VERY recently, and in a dramatic fashion.

I emailed them. Will wait and see what they said. I adjusted the valves right after the uoa they were a hair loose but nothing dramatic. Engine runs the same as before as well.

Ram_man, please let us know what they say. I don't think you got what you paid for.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Ram_man, please let us know what they say. I don't think you got what you paid for.
frown.gif

Yeah, I'm thinking it's not his sample at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back