15w-40 Dino HDEO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are they all created equally, or does one or two stand out with a great add-pack? I'd be using this oil in a 2008 Kubota diesel.

Petroleum quality institute of America has reviewed them recently. You can look at the web site and view details of the oils. You can also learn about many other oils they have tested in the past. Happy reading
coffee2.gif

Originally Posted By: toneydoc
Petroleum quality institute of America has reviewed them recently. You can look at the web site and view details of the oils. You can also learn about many other oils they have tested in the past. Happy reading
coffee2.gif

The Supertech is good stuff and a great value.

Originally Posted By: Keith_Stone
Are they all created equally ...

No - they are not.
But it really does not matter ... allow me to explain.

Any CJ-4 rated lube will more than suffice for your Kubbie. That is what I use in mine. My UOAs come back fine, and I run multi-year OCIs! The Kubie engines just are not that finnicky; don't over think this.

To be more specific to your question, there is no "best" oil. There are many great lubes that do an excellent job. Most of them tweak their add-pack to some preferred corporate edict, but the reality is that there is more than one road to the final destination. Wear and contamination can be controlled by a variety of means, and there is no one specific add-pack formula that will be the end-all-be-all answer for everyone.

Use any CH-4 or higher rated lube in your Kubbie with confidence, and follow the OEM OCI, and it will outlast you. Don't get caught up in brand/grade lube bigotry; mythology and rhetoric run deep in some circles. But facts and data speak the truth; it just won't matter. Your "best" choice will likely be the one that is API qualified and the least cost, and that includes many house brands such as Wally's, TSC, RK, etc. The "big three" are Delo, Delvac and Rotella; they have the lion's share of the market. They are excellent. But so are the "red headed step kids" like Tection Extra, VPB, Peak, Coastal, etc.

There is a recent posting of the VOAs for HDEOs over at PQIA; you can see that they are all similar, but none are the same. Yet they all achieve the same task put to them in widely "normal" use.

There is no "best" oil, but there are many good ones. The small differences will matter more to your emotional brain attraction more so that it ever will to your equipment. Your wallet will notice the distinction; the Kub will not.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Mobil Delvac
Shell Rotella T
Chevron Delo

Take your pick.

I agree any of the big 3 will do,but as stated John Deere's plus 50II is out standing also,its Mobil bottled depending on what part of the country your from.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Originally Posted By: Keith_Stone
Are they all created equally ...

No - they are not.
But it really does not matter ... allow me to explain.

Any CJ-4 rated lube will more than suffice for your Kubbie. That is what I use in mine. My UOAs come back fine, and I run multi-year OCIs! The Kubie engines just are not that finnicky; don't over think this.

To be more specific to your question, there is no "best" oil. There are many great lubes that do an excellent job. Most of them tweak their add-pack to some preferred corporate edict, but the reality is that there is more than one road to the final destination. Wear and contamination can be controlled by a variety of means, and there is no one specific add-pack formula that will be the end-all-be-all answer for everyone.

Use any CH-4 or higher rated lube in your Kubbie with confidence, and follow the OEM OCI, and it will outlast you. Don't get caught up in brand/grade lube bigotry; mythology and rhetoric run deep in some circles. But facts and data speak the truth; it just won't matter. Your "best" choice will likely be the one that is API qualified and the least cost, and that includes many house brands such as Wally's, TSC, RK, etc. The "big three" are Delo, Delvac and Rotella; they have the lion's share of the market. They are excellent. But so are the "red headed step kids" like Tection Extra, VPB, Peak, Coastal, etc.

There is a recent posting of the VOAs for HDEOs over at PQIA; you can see that they are all similar, but none are the same. Yet they all achieve the same task put to them in widely "normal" use.

There is no "best" oil, but there are many good ones. The small differences will matter more to your emotional brain attraction more so that it ever will to your equipment. Your wallet will notice the distinction; the Kub will not.

Remember also, the filter is almost as important as the oil.

A statement like that about the filter really needs to be qualified. If you intend to advise people they must buy the most expensive, highest end filter they can find, I wouldn't agree with that. If you mean that they should buy a sensibly built filter that doesn't include a lot of cost cutting shortcuts and actually functions in the way the automaker would intend the filter to function in the oil circuit, then fine.

Originally Posted By: Garak
A statement like that about the filter really needs to be qualified. If you intend to advise people they must buy the most expensive, highest end filter they can find, I wouldn't agree with that. If you mean that they should buy a sensibly built filter that doesn't include a lot of cost cutting shortcuts and actually functions in the way the automaker would intend the filter to function in the oil circuit, then fine.

Concurrence x2.

Wear is greatly controlled by the anit-wear tribochemical boundary layer this is established as the oil oxidizes. Yes, Virginia, there is such a thing as beneficial oxidation. But like most things it life, too much of a good thing is a bad thing ... That boundary layer is more effective at attenuating wear than a filter, as long as the filter is of a safe, reasonable threshold for any planned OCI.

Any diesel rated conventional 15w-40, conv./semi-synthetic 10w-30, or full synthetic 5w-40 changed regularly will get your Kubota to diesel promised land of 5,000 hours.

I changed the factory oil and filter in my 2012 Kubota 1860 early at around 15 hours w/ Rotella T-5 10w-30 and currently have 55 hours on the clock. I plan on changing oil to a full synthetic 5w-40 before the winter plowing season. I'm in the market for a Kubota RTV1140CPX and plan on doing the same exact thing.

Rotella T5 10w-30 has operated just fine in temps ranging from -10F to 92F.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back