VSOT, Moly ,New Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where VSOT is concerned, am I wasting the stuff, or creating sludge with excess additive with VSOT? IS the moly really necessary in a brand new car? Is the moly in the VSOT redundant with all the moly in Havoline @ 400PPM, or even M-1 with 70-80 PPM? Or are moly, calcium, zinc and boron the collective holy grail, and no matter how much is in the oil you use for your OCI, more is always better via VSOT-add? For sure the stuff thickens the oil a little, is THAT a factor to consider?

Those questions asked, in my old 92, I added an ounce a qt at OCI of M-1. And in this new car I added an oz. a quart with the motorcraft changes, none for the Havoline OCI, as Havoline seems to have a ton of moly as it is. Does a new engine on M-1/5000-7500 mile-OCI really need VSOT?

Thanks!

Thats a good question. I use 7oz of VSOT in my 05 Mustang GT with Mobil 1 5w20. I use the car hard and drive it very little(3k in 1 year). I think that it probably isn't necessary, but it can't hurt. I do not think that VSOT will cause sludge at a regular OCI., using either synthetic or dino oils.

I'm curious as well whether there is a limit to hw much moly/adds you should have in an oil. that said, I don't think adding VSOT, even a full bottle, will ever add as much moly as Redline or moly-based oils have; some of them have nearly 1,000 ppm of moly in them!

VSOT is not a moly-only additive. There are other goodies in it. Check the VOA Section here at BITOG. I started using it in my Colorado at 3K - beginning with a full bottle & Mobil-1. I now use 7.5 oz. (half-bottle) in the six quart crankcase -- about to switch to Pennzoil Platinum.

I understand VSOT isn't moly-only, there's calcium, boron, some zinc, too. Lots of it per ounce. But what I'm wondering is, what is the breaking point for beneficial vs. too much? I've seen the VOA on VSOT and Max-life, and they're rich in this stuff. I know we all (lots of us, anyway) have the feel-good thang goin on with the adds we put in our cars, but is it really helpful, especially with new cars?

Or are we really just burning cashish to no practical end? I'm not arguing with anyone, but rather just hoping, I suppose, that there's an auto-oriented chemist with the savvy to weigh in with an opinion on the subject?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back