Mini-14: grease or oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use synthetic grease in hot dusty environments. The Mini-14's generous clearances inside the action enable it to function in a dusty environment. Being a straight blowback design (versus impingement) helps too.

A mini-14 is a rotating bolt not straight blow back.In a dusty environment you want something that won't hold dust like a dry lube.

DI, rotating bolt, etc... in dusty environment grease and/or oil will cause you build up sooner or later. Dry lube is the right direction. MilSpec sighting device also good idea as wind blown sand much like water - finds its way into everything you don't want it to!

I prefer to use a very small quantity of oil. We're talking barely moist. If it's really dusty, not a heck of a lot you can do to stop it. But I also kept a toothbrush handy and a quick brushing during quiet moments worked for me.

LOL guys to set the record straight, the Mini 14 is a full (long) stroke piston operated gun, similar to the AK-47. It is not blow back or direct impingement.
You will want to use a little bit of grease on the the operating handle, the bolt roller, the bolt tracks on the receiver and the recoil spring guide rod. Every where else on the gun, use oil. Dust doesn't bother the Mini at all.

Light coat of oil is all I use on my Mini 14 and Mini 30. Dry lube sounds like a good idea, though, if you are talking about some serious use in a bad environment. But, for us casual shooters I bet the gun does well even without lube.

Originally Posted By: AMC
LOL guys to set the record straight, the Mini 14 is a full (long) stroke piston operated gun, similar to the AK-47. It is not blow back or direct impingement.
You will want to use a little bit of grease on the the operating handle, the bolt roller, the bolt tracks on the receiver and the recoil spring guide rod. Every where else on the gun, use oil. Dust doesn't bother the Mini at all.

Yeah, it is a Garand based action, my understanding common practice is to use grease on anything that rotates and oil on anything that slides. I don't own one though, and I know AMC knows what he is talking about.

The mini 14 is actually a cross between the m1 carbine and the older remington 742. The new mini 14's are just as reliable and accurate as any ar-15 when used with Ruger mags. Don't let the horror stories of the older mini 14's sway your opinion of them, they are a completely new animal now.
AVB, thanks for the kind words but you got it a little backwards. Grease anything that moves linearly or slides. Oil anything that rotates or pivots.

Thanks for the correction, that make more sense. I had never heard that the 742 was used in the development of the Mini 14.

It is not outwardly said that the Remington 742 had any influence over the Mini-14's design but the Mini-14's gas system is almost an exact copy of the remington 742. Do a google image search for ruger mini 14 gas system and then do another search for the remington 742 gas system, you will see the similarites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back