200K Mile Automatic Transmission Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
My old 1999 Cavalier had over 240K miles on the original 4T40E when I sold it. I changed the fluid every other year with an AC Delco filter, and whatever DexIII I found on sale. Shifted perfectly, no slipping, no troubles at all.

1984 mercedes 300 diesel

265000 something miles

original transmission, still chirps tire on first to 2nd shift

original owner drove it on highway everyday for 263000 miles. the fluid is still red and smells good. records indicate every 30000mi flush.

I've had 2: 1971 dart swinger w/904 auto- had 218k on it when I sold it
1987 mercury Cougar w/AOD had 207k on it when I gave it to my brother

Most of my other automatics that I kept until failure rarely reached even 100k. The ones that didn't fail in my use, I couldn't say how far they went.

1995 Toyota Corolla Base, 1.6L 3 speed auto, 210k Miles, any ATF 30k each.

1997 Acura Integra RS, 245k Miles, Honda Z1 / Valvoline Maxlife / Castrol IMV whichever is cheapest, 30k each.

1994 Pontiac Grand Prix, I gave it away with 212k miles on it in 2007. Pan drop and filter change (7.5 qts) every 30k miles with a variety of Dex III dino products such as AC Delco, Valvoline, etc. Worked like new the entire time. I bought it with 18k miles on it in 1995.

In a couple of months I'll be adding my 2001 GP to this list, 195+ and counting. Same routine on that car other than I used M1 ATF for the first 90k, Dex VI for the next 90k, and I have Redline D4 in it now. Owned it since new.

2006 Honda Odyssey

207,500 mi !!!!
(is there another Odyssey original tranny on the road anywhere with more mileage??)

Best guess from feeble memory:
35k - Honda Z1
70k - Honda Z1
100k - Amsoil
140k - Amsoil
175K - Z1
199k - Maxlife + Lubeguard Red

Trans starting getting the 30-40mph low throttle shudder late in the last Z1 run. Went to Maxlife plus some lubeguard red. That eliminated 90% of the shudder. Now, I have learned to avoid the speed/rpm area in which the shudder is prone to happen. If I ever have to go back to Honda for work, I will get them to do the shift schedule TSB to reduce shudder even more. Otherwise, the trans is in great working order (knock on wood).

2004 Ford F150 2wd Lariet

201,000mi

105k mi - Motorcraft Mercon V
175k mi - Motorcraft Mercon V

Trans still feels as good as new!
Spends weekdays making 65 trip to/from work. Weekends often spent pulling around a mid-sized bass boat or a couple of ATV's.

My father-in-law had a '68 Caddy, 472 V-8, 400 Turbo-hydromatic tranny that went 212,000 miles. He put it out to pasture when the timing chain broke on the motor. Original transmission with two fluid and filter changes during it's entire lifetime. Car didn't see light service either - he pulled his travel trailer all over the country from Florida to California and used to pull it up to Colorado in the Rockies every summer, (around Monarch Pass). Tranny never gave him a bit of trouble.

'98 Honda Odyssey (1st-gen; 4-cylinder)---255K miles, 30K drain & fills w/Honda Z-1 (but that was all she wrote; reverse failed at 255K and the Ody went off to the junkyard).

1984 Dodge Caravan, 4??,??? miles.

Trans completely neglected and fluid not changed in at least the last 9 years, maybe 15 years or more.

Dads 01 Supercharged Frontier.

251 k

Several drain and fills over the years with various brands of Dex 3.

Trans still feels great.

1995 Villager with 233k miles on it; all stock; never one problem. Routine fluid changes with house brand lubes (ST, AAP, etc). UOA shows no problems whatsoever. Generally smooth and clean shifts.

2000 Galant with 199k miles on it; all stock; never one problem. Bought used, but I know the previous owner, so history is known. Fluid only changed a few times in that 199k miles! I changed it again at 197K miles when I got the car. Shifts great and smooth. House brand lubes used.

Has your original automatic transmission gotten to 200,000+ miles without a rebuild, on all original components? Yes.

- 1997 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 5.7L

- 237,000 miles and counting

- Dexron III never changed the pan filter because it looked brand new when I dropped the pan when I first got it, since then 1/year spin on intervals (I have installed a spin on in-line aux filter) I do 1/2 capacity change out each spring.

- My ATF is bright red all the time. The transmission shifts like new, I tow anywhere from 3500-5500 lbs in the spring/summer/fall. I use 3rd when towing always.

I'm getting married, so I just inherited the maintenance responsibilities for a 200k+ mile 2005 Scion xB.

The transmission is original with no major work. My fiance bought the vehicle from her aunt when it had 198k miles and she wasn't exactly strict on the maintenance. Going through the service records it looks like she had the dealership change the fluid in the transmission at about 138k, which means that unless she had it fully flushed about 50% of the fluid currently in the transmission is original from the factory.

I've never driven one of these with fewer miles but I can't imagine it operating smoother than it does. Overall I'm impressed with the car, for the number showing on the odometer it drives great. The only major problems this vehicle has ever had are all in the air conditioner, which has had a few thousand thrown at it over the years.

The fluid doesn't look or smell burnt, and is still the appropriate color even if it's probably darker than it should be. Since I'll be taking over the maintenance I'll be putting it on a drain and refill schedule using Toyota house fluid in hopes to make the currently strong feeling drivetrain last another 50k to 100k miles. At some point, probably when multiple kids are involved we'll upgrade her car to something bigger and nicer, but since she's really just learning to drive I think the little xB is perfect for her.

Originally Posted By: WishIhadatruck
1994 Pontiac Grand Prix, I gave it away with 212k miles on it in 2007. Pan drop and filter change (7.5 qts) every 30k miles with a variety of Dex III dino products such as AC Delco, Valvoline, etc. Worked like new the entire time. I bought it with 18k miles on it in 1995.

In a couple of months I'll be adding my 2001 GP to this list, 195+ and counting. Same routine on that car other than I used M1 ATF for the first 90k, Dex VI for the next 90k, and I have Redline D4 in it now. Owned it since new.

Well, the 2001 Grand Prix GT finally made it. 201k miles as of today. Still has the Redline D4 I put in it at 180k miles.

220,000 Miles
1997 F150 4.6L w/ 4R70W. Fluid & filter changes every 50,000 miles with Amsoil ATF and Motorcraft filters. Zero problems. I back off the pedal prior to shifts and hold a gear if I'm in a situation where the transmission might be hunting for a gear. Everytime I pull the pan, I am hard pressed to find the slightest bit of material in the pan. It pulls a 6000 lb boat 2000 miles a year. At 40,000 miles I went from a 3.31 axle to a 4.10 axle, put bigger wheels and tires on it for an effective ratio of 3.76. Since doing this, there is notably less slippage on shifts.

1996 Toyota Camry 3.0L V-6. 290,755 miles. Mobil-1 ATF. The transmission has a factory drain plug. I did one fluid transfer through the cooler line, at about 135K. Before then, 2 or 3 pan drains. Since the fluid transfer, it's had pan drains every other engine oil change (averages 12-15,000 miles). I bought this old car new and it has been operated its entire life in one of the dustiest environments in the U.S.A. Despite the dirt roads, heat & dust, it shifts seamlessly and is as smooth as it was the day I drove it off the lot. These vintage Toyota engines and transmissions are called, 'bulletproof,' and I believe it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back