Is there an Additive that can Extend the Head of my Mitsu?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an old Mitsu Mirage (1992 with 141,000 miles)that has been recently diagnosed with a leaking head gasket. I do not think that the coolant is leaking into the oil (and vice versa) and do not think this is a new thing (I suspect it has been leaking for awhile, there are also numerous oil leaks). I do 3,000 OCIs with dyno and have done a ARX cycle.

I am not going to spend $1,400 for the head job and associated fixes, so at this point I wonder if there is an oil or additive that anyone believe helps to extend the life of the head? I have done 3,000 OCIs for years on this car (I think the reason it is still running) and it still runs fine. I have used Lucas in the oil in the past (not recently) and wonder if there is a type of oil or additive that would help. I has used cheap 10W30 for years that seems to work just fine (Supertech and Havoline).

Thanks to all for this great board......

Larry X

Thanks Michaelc80. The leak I can live with and I have used some stop leak in the coolant. I just wondered if anyone had an opinion on an oil or additive that may help this.

LarryX

quote:

Originally posted by LARRY X:
Thanks Michaelc80. The leak I can live with and I have used some stop leak in the coolant. I just wondered if anyone had an opinion on an oil or additive that may help this.

LarryX

Actually, I think I saw a head gasket/block sealer made by BAR LEAKS at Advance Auto Parts today...

I don't know how well it works though...

I used the Bar's stuff on my last saab only to learn it was a hose! lol
grin.gif

Im in the same boat with my 88 BMW 528e. I bought it 10 yrs ago with 150k miles on it and now have 315k miles. It still runs fine. Since day 1 of my ownership, it has leaked oil from the head gasket. It uses a qt every 1500 miles. I use cheap 20w50 lately Supertech, and STP filters. I'm sticking with this regimen until I get get rid of it, hopefully north of 400K miles.

In my opinion the only real way to fix a leaking head gasket is with a new head gasket. You could try some of the coolant additives, but those are hit/miss at best and not a permanent solution.

I used a product by the name of Blue Devil. Claims to be a permanent repair for minor leaks caused by faulty head gaskets or cracks. I don't know about permanent, but I used it in a 200k '05 Aerostar with great success.

Only special thing done was flushing the rad/block throroughly before refilling with coolant/sealant. Put an additional 10k on it before someone ran into me and didn't lose a drop of coolant or have any issues with the oil (did change it once during that time).

Bar's Leak stuff doesn't seem to work well at all. Their website totes their primary sealant as a preventive additive vs. an active temp/perm fix last time I checked.

Of course, milling the head and replacing the gasket is always the best course of action, but not on a car with a value that is potentially less than the repair. Spend 60 bucks on the Blue Devil. Worse case scenario.. it doesn't work.

I've had decent luck with Bar Leaks as a sealer for a minor water pump gasket leak using the bottle with the big think pellets that look like dog food (I never got the old gasket off fully
frown.gif
).

But the stuff I saw, and posted a link to, was different all together...

These old Mitu's leak like mad so it is hard to estimate how much oil/coolant I am loosing. I did and ARX cycle and that seemed to slow the oil leaks.

Can I assume the Blue Devil Additive is for the cooolant? I have done the liquid sealer in the coolant and it does seems to have slowed the leak of coolant a bit.

Thanks to all for your help.

LarryX

I replaced the radiator over a year ago (the old one lasted over 10 years and 100,000 + miles.

I am sure all heads will fail in time, I am just trying to entend.

Thanks to all.

LarryX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back