Ultra and Royal Purple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Swarmlord
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I was able to get my RP Synerlec for $6 a quart back in the day :^) If I could get the HPS for that price I`d use it for life. But,my source had a falling out with their distributor,and no longer sell/carry RP products :^( They also sold Max Gear and Synchromax for $6 a quart too.

Military Post Exchange has HPS at $8/qt.
thumbsup2.gif

SWEET!
cheers3.gif

http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/consolidatedpagerndb3.html

Not the boutique additive package most would expect from a Royal Purple oil but this is also SN rated.... It costs way to much for me to even want to try, especially an oil with a non-stellar additive package. In fact, the additive package is pretty much identical to Valvoline synpower and Napa synthetic and people think $25/ 5qts for synpower is over priced, why would some one run this in a normal car at $9/qt???

Originally Posted By: volk06

Not the boutique additive package most would expect from a Royal Purple oil but this is also SN rated.... It costs way to much for me to even want to try, especially an oil with a non-stellar additive package. In fact, the additive package is pretty much identical to Valvoline synpower and Napa synthetic and people think $25/ 5qts for synpower is over priced, why would some one run this in a normal car at $9/qt???

I agree. They lowered the TBN,took out the moly,lowered the zddp,and removed the Synerlec (ester). HPS and/or XPR should be their only oils. BUT,if the SN RP came in $22 WM jugs I`d be all over it. At least it`s still a pao base oil.

Last edited:
I make the claim that RP API SN is nothing special based upon this VOA published by PQIA:

The RP was in no way outstanding relative to the four lower tier synthetics tested in the same batch.

WRT cost, the cheapest I've ever seen RP was $3.74/qt on clearance at Meijer recently.
This was the old SL oil with Synerlec in a 10W-30.
They were down to only three quarts when I saw it, so I passed, since I'd need at least 4.5 qts for a change.
You want to talk prices?
I've got three FAR jugs of Ultra 5W-30, just as an example, while I bagged two jugs of PP 5W-30 for ten bucks each after MIR, and also got a K&N oil filter with each in the bargain.
You can also buy jugs of either PP or M1 for $22.47 all day long at Wally, as everyone already knows.
I could go on, but you get the idea.

Originally Posted By: volk06

x4

Yes, many noticed in the PQIA test Royal Purple's similarity to Napa synthetic (except for the price since RP is twice as expensive).

Royal Purple at best is an overpriced, overhyped average synthetic. The BP link I provided from four years ago proves this as well as PQIA findings this year. They wanted proof and it has been provided.

Another "times a dozen" here.

RP is definitely over hyped and expensive. It is also definitely a decent oil.

It just has a hard time living up to the mystique...

I tried it a long time ago in a couple of my "FI'd motors" and I didn't LIKE the way it came out like water, even at 3K OCI's. Not saying it's a bad oil... just believe it has it's place.

Ah, the rampant lunacy that an RP thread brings out on BITOG. You just have to laugh.
crackmeup2.gif

Let's review the RP histoory here...

When API SM came out and replaced SL RP refused to reformulate to meet the new standard w/ lower ZDDP because they felt it would lower the quality of their product. BITOG members beat up on them like an old west lynch mob for that decision and said SM was a superior oil and they needed to get with the times. The entire time API SM was the current standard RP was repeatedly beat up on for not reformmulating the more popular weights to meet it and their SL formula was called inferior to the average name brand SM oils.

When API SN came out RP reformulated their oils so they could offer an oil that meets current warranty standards for new cars with their new API Certified line. They did exactly what people like the bashers on BITOG hollered for them to do! However, to achieve ceritification to API SN they had no choice but to remove their signature additive( Synerlec )or they could not meet the standard. Now the bashers are beating up on them for lowering the quality of their oil.

When they refuse to reformulate thhey are wrong and when they do reformulate they are also wrong. Doesn't sound to me like they can win at all with these people no matter what they do.

Valvoline Synpower and the Napa synthetic from Ashland which is similar are highly regarded oils here at BITOG. You almost never hear anything bad about them and they are recommended all the time. However, when RP is compared to those oils suddenly they are nothing special and overhyped and such. If the new RP SN stuff truly is the same as Synpower that means it is a very good oil but some here at BITOG would rather shoot their dog than ever give RP and ounce of credit.

The people on this site are flat out a riot at times. This thread is a classic example of the RP hate and bashing that is just so unfounded and hypocritical it isn't even funny. I sometimes wonder if people even think for 1/2 a second what they are actually saying when they beat up on RP?

RP refuses to reformulate to API SM, which required removal of their signature additive, so it was a "bad" oil. The SL stuff was trashed as not good and SM would be better.

RP reformulates to API SN, but has to remove it's signature additive to do so, yet it is still a "bad" oil? They come out with the HPS line that retains their Synerlec additive for those who want it. Now the same people who trashed RP for not changing to SM because it was better than the SL stuff are now trashing them for going to SN and claim the old SL stuff and/or the HPS oils are the good stuff. WHAT????
21.gif
33.gif
21.gif

RP is now being compared to Valvoline and Napa oils which are always talked of highly UNLESS RP is said to be similar and then they aren't very good. Valvoline = good. Valvoline and RP similar = bad/overhyped. HUH????

The people on here have to make you laugh. There is just nothing else you can do but laugh. API SN is API SN. I don't understand why anyone thinks RP API SN is somehow inferior to other API SN oils. They all are going to be the same basic stuff. You can't have Synerlec in an SN oil so why try and compare the new SN oils from RP to their old SL stuff or the new HPS line? It's nuts to do so.

The masses on BITOG raised cain for years about how RP should reformulate to meet current API standards as it would make their oil better. When they do just that BITOG still trashes them. Just shows the real nature of those here who beat up on it. They beat up on it for reasons other than the product itself.

Of course the whole price thing has to come in all the time which is just so ridiculous it is not funny. RP is not sold in 5 qt jugs at WalMart like other oils are. You can't use that against them. Qt bottle vs Qt bottle price the cost is within $1 of each other so RP SN is NOT over priced. If you shop around and buy on deals I have shown RP can be had for the same, or even less than, those 5 qt WM jugs. That is even discredited.

You just can not get a fair and reasonable review of RP on this site. Too many with a massive bias and agenda to ever do so. The most hillarious part is most of those who's mission in life is to bash RP at every opportunity have never used it. Now that right there is laughable.
crackmeup2.gif

So, NHHEMI, are you trying to argue that the RP API approved line is an exceptional value? Are you suggesting that in most of the country, most people can routinely obtain RP at a price that is similar to the mainstream brands? Are you suggesting that the RP API line produces measurable benefits over the mainstream API oils?

My guess, and I know that I am guessing (I am not accusing), is that your answer to all of those questions is "no" and that your point is that you think that RP is being discussed unfairly.

I specifically wrote that I thought the old RP SL with Synerlec was pretty good stuff and I would use it if I ran across some at a reasonable price.
WRT price, NAPA has regular sales on their flavors of their house branded Synpower, while comparing quart pricing of RP to any other oil is kind of ridiculous, since not too many people are going to buy five individual quarts for considerably more money than they'd pay for a five quart jug. RP does come in gallon jugs, and Meijer stocked them, along with quarts, when they carried the oil. There was no savings in buying by the gallon, though.
If Synpower had cost as much as RP would have, I wouldn't be using it.
Why would I pay RP prices for a Synpower add pack?
It's not that Valvoline oils show bad results in use, its that RP is considerably more expensive with a very similar (same supplier?) add pack.
With the NOACK number in the PQIA VOA, it ain't a Grp IV oil, either.
Some O'Reilly's stock RP, as well as Amsoil SSO.
They are priced about the same.
For the money, I'd buy the Amsoil, and that isn't hating on RP, that's just accepting reality.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

The masses on BITOG raised cain for years about how RP should reformulate to meet current API standards as it would make their oil better. When they do just that BITOG still trashes them. Just shows the real nature of those here who beat up on it. They beat up on it for reasons other than the product itself.

I posted that same thing a while back. It illustrates the MINDLESS HATRED otherwise sensible BITOG posters have towards RP. They howled with disgust that RP had an older but stouter formulation, so, RP changed to meet the lastest specs, now they scream its too weak and no good.

Like I said on the first page:

YOU WILL NOT GET FAIR OPINIONS AND INFORMATION ON ROYAL PURPLE HERE AT BITOG.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

I posted that same thing a while back. It illustrates the MINDLESS HATRED otherwise sensible BITOG posters have towards RP. They howled with disgust that RP had an older but stouter formulation, so, RP changed to meet the lastest specs, now they scream its too weak and no good.

Like I said on the first page:

YOU WILL NOT GET FAIR OPINIONS AND INFORMATION ON ROYAL PURPLE HERE AT BITOG.

Yup,I for one will no longer reply to the ignorant posters that we have on BITOG concerning Royal Purple threads.

It's really a shame it's threads like this that really make this website lack credibility for information.

Oh give me a break. All brands get ripped on here.
lol.gif

FWIW, the company that bought RP is apparently pretty solid.

It's not that RP is bad, it's just not better than any other synthetic. I'm referring to the API stuff, not the HPS.

We know RP uses 3x the allowable amount of sulfur in their oils. Probably one of the reason they always used the timken test, which ironically enough, Amsoil criticized, even though they use the 4-ball wear test. LOLOL

Originally Posted By: buster

Not anywhere NEAR like what RP gets.

Conversely, the reverence for SOPUS was off the charts for a while. Remember? PP cured cancer, balanced the Federal deficit and instituted world peace...
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Originally Posted By: buster

Not anywhere NEAR like what RP gets.

Conversely, the reverence for SOPUS was off the charts for a while. Remember? PP cured cancer, balanced the Federal deficit and instituted world peace...
crazy2.gif

I think you're missing the point.
PP proved to have very good performance in service and many UOAs have been posted here with it.
I've posted three myself.
The point is that I don't think you'll find a bad PP UOA here, so of course members like the oil and use it.
Members make their choices based upon performance in service versus price.
PP performs very well and is always pretty reasonably priced, so of course it's popular.
RP doesn't get bashed any more than does any other brand of oil.
Remember all of the threads claiming that M1 causes high iron wear?
How about the threads bashing Amsoil SSO for not having API certification?
RP is not alone in not being universally esteemed, and I don't think you'll find a more objective or more fair forum than BITOG when it comes to judging motor oil.
If RP really were all that, there'd be many more users here.

Originally Posted By: Capa
I hear Royal Purple has changed ownership and judging from PQIA's latest test, it seems that they have slipped even more.

Okay, I kept silent until now. This thread has had complaints that the old SL RP had too much sulfur. Now, the regular RP is SN (and GF-5 in the appropriate grades), and it's slipped?

RP still has the high sulfur content (Synerlec additive) oils and also the latest API oils. What else do you want?

And if you don't like the price, don't buy it. Personally, my price on Royal Purple absolutely obliterates Walmart's "everyday low prices" on synthetics. And where Royal Purple is sold here on the same shelves as the major synthetics (for a fair comparison), the price is fair, somewhere between M1 and M1 EP (or Castrol Syntec and Syntec with Titanium, if you prefer). As for Pennzoil Ultra, that hardly qualifies as a real product up here.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
RP is not alone in not being universally esteemed, and I don't think you'll find a more objective or more fair forum than BITOG when it comes to judging motor oil.

"not being universally esteemed" is not even in the ballpark. Thats entirely different that RP being mindlessly, unfairly RIPPED TO SHREDS here.

BITOG is generally fair, UNLESS it pertains to RP.

Hey guys new to the forum first post. Joined because I was looking to learn more.

I had a BMW E34 (525i) I bought it with 60k on the clock and got rid of it at 256k 14 years later. I had followed all the recommenced intervals for oil changes some were as long as 12,000 miles or just under a year. I always used a full syn 10w30 and until about 225k had used either Amsoil, Valvoline, Quaker, or Castrol. Having the car for as long as I did I kept close track of my mileage, which was pretty easy since it did it for me, I'd double check with my own calcs and it was always very close.

Now one day (225k)pep boys had the deal on RP buy the oil get the filter free. When they didn't have the filter for mine they knock off even more $$(I use Mann Filters anyway). It Made for a good deal.

I can say that I could see within 1000 miles my Temp gauge was showing cooler then before. The needle before would touch the center line of the gauge, no gap at all. You could see the whole mark but no gap between and no real over lap. I used the RP and there was a clear separation between needle and Mark. Now I also noticed I'd lost almost 1 mpg.

It was the only time I ran RP. I was amazed that it did anything different then the other oils. Cooler, I have read on here, means less wear so maybe it would have been a good oil for the long run. When I went back to whatever Full Syn (Castrol mostly)the gauge went right back as did my MPG. So the cost of the oil not on sale and the loss in mileage didn't warrant me running it again. I'm kind of cheap.

Like someone else had mentioned on here my engine ran great would still bang the red lines at each shift (Auto Trans) when I pushed it which rarely happened. The rest of the car rusted out too bad to keep it. Now I've a e39 with 63k on it hoping to get the same performance and longevity.

Anyway just my $.02

Just looking at the PQIA testing of 5-30 oils,the PU looks very good. We each have to find the oil/vis our car seems to "like". Different for each of us. Jmo.

That really shouldn't be forgotten, either. No matter how good a product is (or, equal to everything else because they all meet specs and will do the job wonderfully), if you're not happy with it, you shouldn't be using it. That might be an emotional reason, but if you're not happy, don't use it.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back