LC SMELL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm, got my LC today. My own analysis (aka my nose) thinks it's ZDDP and acetone.
grin.gif

That's what it smells like! Who knows? I really want to start using it BUT I promised to analyze the Pennzoil Platinum in my sump first. Don't wanna help it out.

Your nose would be wrong.....

PP is a very interesting chemistry to me. I agree with using it alone for your first run.

Use analysis to properly determine the course to take after your interval with PP alone.

Terry

Oh, I know it is. Just my first impression. The reason I say that is b/c it has that heavy scent of say STP oil treatment or what not mixed w/ a strong aromatic scent.

As far as analysis, yeah, I'm gonna see how the PP does. I just posted a UOA on my Castrol Tection experience not long ago. It wasn't too bad for a dino in a car like mine w/ a bad rep, but....

I'm just interested in LC for that extra kick and just really want to get rid of the sorta varnish coat I have...

Well, here are a couple of pics to give ya an idea:

-

-

This is after 2x arx cycles. Don't get me wrong, arx cleaned out a bunch of junk. My filters were nice and nasty. I'm just looking to try something else for this varnish.

arx filters:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/bkrell/DSCN4979.jpg
First clean cycle

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/bkrell/DSCN4980.jpg
that's the first rinse cycle

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/bkrell/DSCN4981.jpg
and that's a link to the second clean cycle. I haven't got a pic of the 2nd rinse filter yet

I cannot explain my next comment. Only someone like Terry or Mola could do it justice. But here goes anyhow: I have seen some of the best UOA's on Red Line, when the user added the proper amount of LC and did a maint. dose with it also. (And these same engines had a previous Auto-Rx clean). The real weird Red Line UOA's seem to be on a troubled engine or using Red Line virgin. Look at wwilsons UOA on a 10K run with Red Line 5W20 in a Surburban with LC and maint. doses. Fantastic UOA. (Also a previous Auto-Rx Clean)Again, JMO

As far as I can tell, the smell of LC is unique.

The first time I ever saw & smelled LC, Odis put a little on his finger & held it under my nose. My instant reponse was,"_______ Oil!", which was the name used for something that the local steel mill had tried in the mid-to-late 1960's. Recommended dosage, 1 qt in a 5-qt crankcase. Dad brought a few quarts home after the the last of this mystery fluid made its way to the company salvage yard. I hadn't smelled that stuff since 1969 or maybe 1970- but over 30 years later, there it was again! (At least according to my nose.
wink.gif
)

Terry was there at the time(about 3 yrs ago?), & he can verify my first words after smelling LC. I've left the blank because I'm not sure Odis & the LC folks have released that to the public.

quote:

As far as I can tell, the smell of LC is unique.

offtopic.gif
The smell is nothing compared to the taste. A delightful mix of what I can describe only as a subtle nutty flavor with an earthy hint of freshly cut grass, rounded off by a contrasting yet complimentary bouquet of Old Grand Dad. In fact, it might be just Old Grand Dad, judging by its lingering after-effects. It does the plumbing good.
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by 59 Vetteman:
I cannot explain my next comment. Only someone like Terry or Mola could do it justice. But here goes anyhow: I have seen some of the best UOA's on Red Line, when the user added the proper amount of LC and did a maint. dose with it also. (And these same engines had a previous Auto-Rx clean). The real weird Red Line UOA's seem to be on a troubled engine or using Red Line virgin. Look at wwilsons UOA on a 10K run with Red Line 5W20 in a Surburban with LC and maint. doses. Fantastic UOA. (Also a previous Auto-Rx Clean)Again, JMO

Tony! In one thread you tell me to use it virgin and here you say virgin is where it shows wacky UOA's!
shocked.gif
crushedcar.gif
pat.gif

What are you trying to do to me?
grin.gif

I thought someone else was going to say they really liked the smell of LC, and was wondering where they could buy the scent.

BTW, looking forward to the UOA.

BrianWC,
Interesting filters. My 95 BMW 525i(122,000 miles) is on the second rinse. The previous filters has only a few flecs in the bottom of the pleats. I assume my engine was much cleaner than I previously thought. The final rinse will be comlete in about 1500 miles

The smell of both FP and LC are certainly unique; they're not objectionable to me FWIW...

More important, of course, is the fact that they work.

Well, I don't know how into filters you are, but that first one is a Fram. It seemed to catch the least of any of them. You aren't using Frams, are you?

BrianWC,
FYI, my BMW filters are oe quality made by Mann and Malhe. On most BMWs they are not in a can, they are paper and fit into the top of the engine in a lided canister. This I like.
smile.gif

Never thought about differences in filters and affect on ARX! Thanks

My Dad checked the oil level after I changed the oil and added lube control and asked why there was such a fragrant smell coming out of the oil filler tube
grin.gif

Tony! In one thread you tell me to use it virgin and here you say virgin is where it shows wacky UOA's

Brian,

It will show wacky UOA's most of the time when used virgin. But I was wanting to see the cleaning action of Red Line in your engine in the virgin state. In my Mazda, it was clean, so I could not honestly say it does anything other than a high dollar oil that has a 5W20 that is hard to beat, except in price. Also you normally get the Dyson Interpetation and he is a genius at Red Line Analysis with or without LC. I hope this makes sense.

cheers.gif

Oops, forgot to subscribe to my own thread!
lol.gif

Tony: Yeah, I could get the Dyson interpretation. I wonder if he will be able to translate the ox/nitration numbers into the format I have on my current UOA so that I can add it to the Saab database I contributed my last one to. Redline is my last hope (well, besides LC) at getting that engine sparkly!

Russell, I wasn't really implying the filters made a difference in the cleaning, just, I guess in what was trapped. To be honest though, the fram was on the first clean and my rinse filters were always dirtier than the preceeding clean ones. See my new thread on my filters and arx results for more.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=004536

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back