.380 auto or .380 special ammo LCP gun Ammo source

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got an LCP gun a couple of weeks back. It says use .380 auto ammo. They say don't use +P.
So is .380 special OK? Cabelos only shows .380 special.

What ammo sources do you guys buy from......?

Are you sure you aren't looking at 38 special?

A gun chambered for 380 should only be fed 380. It goes by several names, so watch for the following terms:
380 ACP
380 Auto
380 Automatic
380 Automatic Colt Pistol
380 Kurz
9mm Short
9mm Browning
9x17
9mm Corto

Don't use anything that is labeled
9mm Luger
9x18
9mm Makarov
9x19
.38 SPL
.38 Special
.38 Auto
.38 Automatic

Here's some easy to understand Wikipedia help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.380_ACP

As an extra note, you won't want to use any +P in it. The +P ammo packs a punch and will not only accelerate the wear on your pistol, but also hurt your hand from the added recoil. You'll find the standard 94 or 95 grain stuff will be plenty snappy in that pistol. Get full metal jacket for target practice (Boxes will be marked FMJ) and get a small box of hollow point defense rounds for self- and home-defense (Just be sure to again stay away from +P stuff...).

As for brands-
Full metal jacket stuff is usually pretty good and you're safe picking up whatever you can find. Federal and Remington are American made if you want to shoot American ammo. I've heard good things about Hornady defense rounds. They seem to feed well and are usually readily available.

holy cow! until you know what you're buying, you should only buy ammo from a LGS....have you done ANY research on your handgun? Have you EVER seen 380 Special......anywhere?

Also, don't just buy hollow point ammo....run enough through the pistol to make sure it works everytime.....my comfort level with carry ammo is a bare minimum of 300 rounds without any failures of any kind.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Fleetmon
holy cow! until you know what you're buying, you should only buy ammo from a LGS....have you done ANY research on your handgun? Have you EVER seen 380 Special......anywhere?

Also, don't just buy hollow point ammo....run enough through the pistol to make sure it works everytime.....my comfort level with carry ammo is a bare minimum of 300 rounds without any failures of any kind.

+ A bazillion

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
I got an LCP gun a couple of weeks back. It says use .380 auto ammo. They say don't use +P.
So is .380 special OK? Cabelos only shows .380 special.

What ammo sources do you guys buy from......?

Dude - PM me. Lucky 38 special won't fit the magazine.

Recommend you use FMJ ball ammo or a 100-gr. Hardcast bullet (i.e. Buffalo Bore) for adequate penetration .... that meets FBI protocol. Hollowpoints are unreliable in this shortened 9mm cartridge with inadequate penetration.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=216

Make sure you do plenty of practice. Shot placement is paramount. In self defense situations, aim for the triangle area that goes between the armpits and the base of the throat. This is where the highest concentration of vital organs and arteries are.

Well it looks like .380 auto is what I need. I've heard of buffalo bore. I'll do some practice at a range as well. I'm taking a class for self defense which will help.

I know I'm a dummy on this stuff but some of you guys don't need to remind me. Makes me not want to post anymore......
I'll do more reading on bullets.For the others thanks for the tips.

Don't stop posting. Some people seem to easily forget that they once were a novice too. I'm still learning about guns and ammo myself. After Boy Scouts, I walked away from shooting for almost 20 years and only now am I getting myself reacquainted with it. Good luck with the classes and be sure to ask lots of questions!

Originally Posted By: ethangsmith
Don't stop posting. .... Good luck with the classes and be sure to ask lots of questions!

+1

I am learning this too.

.380 is different than .38 special.

Note: 0 (zero) behind .38 and the other have no 0 (zero).
I know from a number stand point, they are the same number but from bullet standpoint, they are completely different.

.38 special is mostly used in revolver.

Ruger LCP uses .380ACP.

Ammo nomenclature is pretty nutty. completely insane. But the cool thing is, it almost forces you to learn the history of various and many cartridges and when you embark on that path, it really opens your mind to a very cool and rewarding hobby.

38 Special and .380 Auto? Neither are actually .380" bullet diameter.

38 Special = .357" and .380 Auto = .355"

About the best price for ammo is sold here at Wal-Mart. Check too with the store that sold you the gun. The full metal jacket ammo sold at Wal-Mart is good for range use.

As far as carry ammo if you ask 10 people you will get 15 answers.

As far as ammo for defense I carry Hornady Critical Defense ammo as it not only gets good reviews put it works well in my weapons without issue.

.380 auto. Now where to buy??????? I want to get bullets kind of cheap for practice, but get some nasty bullets for carry.....

Funny this thread came up, I've stopped two different people this year from buying 38 special that actually needed 380 auto. This happened at Walmart and at Dunham's, two places you can buy guns and ammo but the sales people are usually clueless about what it is you're buying. If ever you're not sure about what it is you need, always ask. Going to an actual gun store is the other best thing to do, they know about guns. Lots of people that are new to guns are buying now and need some guidence.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Wally World seems to not have anything.......

Nada. Zip. Zilch (do try Cabelas right next door)
Thanks Pablo it was on my list.

Well I did a special pilgrimage to Cabelos on saturday. Waited till they opened and and bunch of guys, and myself rushed to the ammo isle and nada on the 380 acp. Also went right over to Wally world and they had hardly anything. Of course no 380acp.

I guess I need to figure out a better way or buy online.

Keep looking, buy when you can. Hit up all the local shops too. Keep your brass, learn to reload.

Eventually this shortage will pass. Lots of incentive for manufacturers to make ammo right now, so, it'll come back. That or eventually peoples floorboards will start popping up, bills will pile up and eventually some of it will come up for sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back