LoJack....

Status
Not open for further replies.
My recent bought vehicle (2010 Tucson) has the LowJack.
I wouldn't have considered one / pay the extra for one. If someone takes the vehicle, well then they took the vehicle. I still have 2 others to drive.

Anyone have one that worked as they are supposed to?

I could see maybe for a high dollar, classic, rare etc. vehicle, maybe. I don't know anyone ever discussed they had a LoJack and it served them as intended. I've heard of them but never payed attention.
Then there is some other "Jack"d thing for telephones too. Never considered it either.

Doesn't work. I had my car stolen, after having LoJack for about 3 years. Police eventually found the car, reported as abandoned. LoJack never gave them a clue.
I had the backup battery replaced 1 year before it was stolen so I got to see where it was installed (you're not supposed to know). I checked it again in the impound lot, it was still there. I phoned LoJack to make a warranty claim. First, they said "battery's gone bad, needs to be replaced every 2 years". When I told them I had it replaced a year ago and that I personally saw the unit still intact then they said "oh, that warranty is only if it's stolen within the first 2 years."

http://www.lojack.com/Customer-Service/Stolen-Vehicle-Recovery/Automotive-Warranty-Products

Their current warranty pays out much lower than it used to (used to be $5k, now it's the purchase price of the LoJack unit only, heh), and broken up, or tiered, to make you buy more warranty and make it much less likely they'll have to pay a claim.

Last edited:
1 - LoJack works
1 - LoJack doesn't work
1 - Get car nobody would ever risk their freedom for

My opinion based on seeing what happens when a car is stolen and recovered: if your car is stolen, you don't want it back. You want your insurance to pay you what it was worth at the time it was stolen so you can get a replacement.

Originally Posted By: Errtt
1 - LoJack works
1 - LoJack doesn't work
1 - Get car nobody would ever risk their freedom for

Get one of those exploding dye packs like the banks use. Get the heavy duty ones with the double concentrate. Place in glove box with some fishing line attatched to it.

Originally Posted By: Asterix
My opinion based on seeing what happens when a car is stolen and recovered: if your car is stolen, you don't want it back. You want your insurance to pay you what it was worth at the time it was stolen so you can get a replacement.

What exactly have you seen that makes you not want the car back? I hear people say this all the time, but nobody ever says why they wouldn't want the car back.

Found the LoJack paperwork (actually wife did, was within the package with all the manufacturer ops manual etc.)
Found the LoJack was installed just prior of me buying the vehicle. Only a couple weeks.
Talked to a tech.... if stolen, call 911 and provide a VIN (he didn't say license #). Then I found the wallet card with recorded VIN. Then inform LoJack to update customer profile & to reflect theft/activation.
The new LoJack's now come with military grade 10-year battery. (I sometimes hate hearing about military grade, sometimes. Can't remember which astronaut it was, but one said something like "Imagine I'm floating up here in space in a craft built by several lowest bidders).
Anyway, product is registered to vehicle. Not transferable to other vehicles. Each is married to a VIN when activated. If stolen & not recovered within 30-days, there is a total loss benefit of $5,000 provided the benefit does not exceed actual cash value of vehicle on date of loss. There is a 90% recovery rate, most within a few hours.
He says they make them for motorcycles too.

Interesting...... in a way.

The car came back damaged in rather annoying ways, but not enough to total it. After repair, it was never the same again. More squeaks and rattles, things didn't fit right, scrapes, dents, etc. Plus, much of the resale value was gone after the repairs. You'll get more money if the car is just gone than the cost of repair plus resale.

For example, if the thief breaks the glove box open, insurance will pay to fix it, but the glove box will never work as well again and annoy you every time you use it.

Originally Posted By: spackard
Doesn't work. I had my car stolen, after having LoJack for about 3 years. Police eventually found the car, reported as abandoned. LoJack never gave them a clue.
I had the backup battery replaced 1 year before it was stolen so I got to see where it was installed (you're not supposed to know). I checked it again in the impound lot, it was still there. I phoned LoJack to make a warranty claim. First, they said "battery's gone bad, needs to be replaced every 2 years". When I told them I had it replaced a year ago and that I personally saw the unit still intact then they said "oh, that warranty is only if it's stolen within the first 2 years."

http://www.lojack.com/Customer-Service/Stolen-Vehicle-Recovery/Automotive-Warranty-Products

Their current warranty pays out much lower than it used to (used to be $5k, now it's the purchase price of the LoJack unit only, heh), and broken up, or tiered, to make you buy more warranty and make it much less likely they'll have to pay a claim.

I guess I need to get my battery changed, I'm going 10 years on my Tacoma.

10 years?
If you want *any* warranty you need to go out and buy a new LoJack unit. Their highest-tier warranty is only for 5 years.

Another thing: the installer asked if I had a credit problem. Most units he installed were for people who had low credit, got a loan for the car, and one of the conditions of the loan was the installation of LoJack.

The only way I would get Lo Jack is to get my yearly insurance as low as possible and take my chances from there.

A buddy of mine had one and it worked for him when he needed it the most.

Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back