Comparision of VOAs - only European samples

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I tried to compare few VOA samples based on Blackstone Labs data. It covers mostly oil products found in Europe, but Redline samples are there as well. I have added 7 samples from a Lab in Russia, unfortunately they show very low values of Molybdenum (RU samples). I was able to find Motul 300V from Blackstone and the Russian lab for comparision of the Labs data. Not disappointing, but confusing
smile.gif

At this moment hosted on my gdrive as pictures.

Zinc/Phosporus/Molybdenum
edit

Calcium/Magnesium
edit

Viscocity
edit

Comments and suggestions are welcome.
--
Martin

Nice charts that compare additive packages with breakdown of various elements.

Thank-you!

added 2 more graphs:
TBN-TAN
edit

Silicone
edit

I will upload new versions of the previous files containing virgin mazda 0w-20, as soon as google does his job and the upload of "new versions/versioning" starts working ...

very short update: XLS is updated, pic are updated with ~10 new samples mostly from oil-club.ru. Data labels removed for few graphs to improve readability.

regards,

You are welcome
smile.gif
I still keep them updated if something new arrives or based on request.

Don’t hesitate to contact me regarding any update.

Originally Posted By: MartinMosny
sorry for delays. "Ti" added Titanium

thanks MartinMosny. Kendall GT-1 blows away anybody else with titanium, at 93 ppm. I looked over the Afton patent for Ti the other day, and the patent only covers it down to 10 ppm minimum. Castrol just uses a small amount for leftover marketing labelling.

There were a few posts from an oil formulator in England, joe90_guy, and he was basically explaining why there are differences in oils meeting the same specs. It is what you'd think: Proprietary usage, business people imposing constraints, what's cheaper for one company at one time is more expensive to others, etc. Add to all that the target tier (expensive) markets and individual comfort levels of formulators, and we end up with a lot of additive packages!

Originally Posted By: Pontual
Sodium?
and Sodium
Redline seems to pour every additive imaginable into their oils. Thats a racing oil formula from appearances, similar to a Mobil1 Racing 0w-30 oil VOA done a while back which showed huge levels of a lot of stuff:
Blackstone-E41615.jpg

Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus
Originally Posted By: Pontual
Sodium?
and Sodium
Redline seems to pour every additive imaginable into their oils. Thats a racing oil formula from appearances, similar to a Mobil1 Racing 0w-30 oil VOA done a while back which showed huge levels of a lot of stuff:
Blackstone-E41615.jpg

Yes, the M1 Racing oils' VOAs read more like a SUPER STOUT additive's than a complete engine oil!
thumbsup2.gif
eek.gif

I am kind of surprised they put that much boron in there, since, depending on just how they buffer it (or not), it can turn VERY abrasive (at least according to Lake Speed on the JGD oil site).

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Yes, the M1 Racing oils' VOAs read more like a SUPER STOUT additive's than a complete engine oil!
thumbsup2.gif
eek.gif

M1 Racing 0w-30 looks complete to me, but treat-rates (ppm concentrations) are too high compared to street oil. Even detergent is much higher than most street oils. It looks like you could cut every additive ppm in half and have a great street oil. Balance is there in ratios already.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
I am kind of surprised they put that much boron in there, since, depending on just how they buffer it (or not), it can turn VERY abrasive (at least according to Lake Speed on the JGD oil site).

Perfect name for a person working for a racing company: Lake Speed. I'd never heard that about boron, but just goes to show surface competition & other unwanted interactions can happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back