0w-20 oils in Toyota 2AZ-FE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: supercity
Penrite make a 0w20. Not cheap though

COULDN'T FINE ANY WHERE YET.HOW MUCH THEY WORTH?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: toyota62
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
What models and model years are we talking about?

2012 RAV4

In the USA ONLY 0W20 synthetic is prescribed for the 2.5l four cylinder. That's for all temperatures and climates. Certainly 5W20 would work just fine but Toyota is adamant about 0W20 and up to 10,000 mile oil and filter changes.

Originally Posted By: supercity
Retail price is about $69/5L. Any Penrite retailer should be able to order it in.

If Toyota is providing their 0W-20 for the 86 Model sportscar, I would think that would be reasonably priced?
The Cdn price for TGMO 0W-20 is $5.65/L at any Toyota/Lexus dealer Canada wide.

A$49for a 4L jug.

Wow, prices are indeed dear in OZ!
Would there be any available 0W/5W-20 cheaper than that?
What's the cheapest syn 5W-30?
What's the cheapest 5W-30 dino?

If a 5W-30 syn is still cheaper than the cheapest 0W/5W-20 that's probably the most logical oil to run in your climate.

This has to be the only oil in North America that's cheaper in Canada than in the U.S. It's certainly great for you guys. I wonder why Toyota discounts it there (relative to other synthetics) but doesn't here?

Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay

This has to be the only oil in North America that's cheaper in Canada than in the U.S. It's certainly great for you guys. I wonder why Toyota discounts it there (relative to other synthetics) but doesn't here?

Yes TGMO 0W-20 is the best 20wt let alone 0W-20 value in Canada.
I believe it's priced that cheaply to eliminate all reasons not to use the 0W-20 grade by Toyota owners.
By comparison, M1 0W-20 cost $10.49/L, PP 0W-20 $9.49/qt and Castrol Edge also about $10/qt at Walmart.
The Honda/Acura high moly 0W-20 is still cheaper than the name brand 0W-20s at $7.57/L.
Subaru and Mitsubishi's 0W-20 are in the 9 buck range per litre.

In Canada it makes no financial sense to buy anything other than a OEM 0W-20.

Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay

Yes TGMO 0W-20 is the best 20wt let alone 0W-20 value in Canada.
I believe it's priced that cheaply to eliminate all reasons not to use the 0W-20 grade by Toyota owners.
By comparison, M1 0W-20 cost $10.49/L, PP 0W-20 $9.49/qt and Castrol Edge also about $10/qt at Walmart.
The Honda/Acura high moly 0W-20 is still cheaper than the name brand 0W-20s at $7.57/L.
Subaru and Mitsubishi's 0W-20 are in the 9 buck range per litre.

In Canada it makes no financial sense to buy anything other than a OEM 0W-20.

If the word gets out it'll be next to impossible to retail a quart of dino anywhere in the nation!

The dino 5W-20s are generally cheaper, particularly when on sale and the 5W-20 syn's can be slightly cheaper on sale than TGMO 0W-20 by the jug.

But it is the 0W-20 grade that's the killer even when it's on sale it still can't compete with TGMO 0W-20.
Nevertheless it does sell, generally bought by people (non BITOG members)who don't know how good TGMO is what a value it is.
Of course there is always that perception if it's more expensive it must be better, particularly in a name brand.

Of course there is always that perception if it's more expensive it must be better, particularly in a name brand.

Toyota must be relying on that perception to move the same oil stateside lol.

A$49for a 4L jug.

If a 5W-30 syn is still cheaper than the cheapest 0W/5W-20 that's probably the most logical oil to run in your climate.

Id say that would be the cheapest and maybe even a trade price at that. There is no dino 5w20 at all. Without a doubt xw30 will be cheaper and more available than anything xw20. That's how it works here, thicker grades are cheaper.

"Fully dino" 5w30 is actually difficult to buy. The only one I know of is sold by Penrite for $37/5L and they market it towards Rotary engines which require strictly mineral oil. Synthetic blends are easier to get and cost between $40-55 a jug. The cheapest full synthetic 5w30 will be around $60 a jug from a shop (not including USA imports sold on ebay).

10w30 is not too hard to get and it's not too expensive now, It is usually at least "syn technology" or blend, lots on offer starting from mid $20s a jug

Contrast that to 15w40/20w50 dino, which is usually allowed in owners manuals, available for under $25 a jug anywhere.

A$49for a 4L jug.

)

I can get 5w-30 engine oils for cost price..Ex: Castrol A5 5w-30 synthetic.Roughly about A$4 a liter.

Last edited:
A$49for a 4L jug.

My thoughts exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back