Gumout Regane and Soot in the Tail Pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just dumped a bottle of Regane in my 18.5 Gal tank in the 2.4L Camry for the first time. 100 miles later I found the inside of the tail pipe covered with much more soot than I was used to seeing.

What is this?

1)The chemical contain of Regane is high in carbon and leaves soot when burned? (like diesel?)

2)Regane fools the O2 sensors to allow the FI system to run richer than normal?

3)Or, does it clean so well that it is spitting out carbon from my combustion chamber?

dunno.gif

If Regane itself is causing more soot, how does it clean? Doesn't that harm the exhaust compoents like the cat?

Johny z, I go with #3. This is why I am concerned with all the cleaners I have been using on my car.

I am not so much concerned with the cleaner itself. I am concerned with the chemicals in combination with all the hardened soot it is loosening up, if indeed they are doing their advertised job.

That is why I try to time my additions of fuel system cleaners with long trips on the highway. I know my intake valves are pretty well cruded up, I also know if the cleaner works then that crud works it way through the combustion chamber then to the exhaust valves past the 02 sensor then on throught the cat and out the muffler.

I guess when my emissions test comes due again I will know if any damage was done to the cat.

kerosene burns dirty. always. we used kerosene spot heaters in my old house and they drove the wife nuts. she had to dust twice as often and she got black sooty deposits off of everything. we had to was the walls and ceilings come springtime. real PITA. switched to natural gas and no more problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back