Debating the Lucas Saga

Status
Not open for further replies.
From my perspective the man from Nevada "can't handle the truth." I think your education on this site has served you well.
cool.gif
burnout.gif

I get what your saying Shaman, ya I'm sure after that post it will be my final as I'm done with him.

Funny, isn't it Lucas that has all the little crank gear displays at auto parts stores? So they must think that type of thing has some validity.

I think we need someone w/ a beater to get a UOA before and after Lucas!!! I trust Bob's tests but I gotta admit it makes you wonder why more people haven't complained. I just can't see how something with the viscosity of Lucas does anything for "dry start protection." Seems like the **** stuff wouldn't even flow through the oil pickup.

quote:

Originally posted by jmacmaster:
Thermo1223:

On that site you gave us a link to, what's TDI stand for?

quote:

The TDI engine is a turbocharged and intercooled diesel engine with "direct injection" - that is, the fuel injector nozzle sprays directly into the main combustion chamber, rather than into a separate prechamber as was done with previous automotive diesel engines.

smile.gif
TDI love thanks SpecV

Honestly if he could show me how it prevented cold start protection in some factual documented form I would never talk ill of the product again.

I posted a UOA with Lucas synthetic addative on a 2001 Silverado 6.0.
I don't mean to start a fight, but it was ignored by the experts here, and most of the guys who did comment told me what I needed to go to in a oil......The problem was the UOA was outstanding.
I don't use Lucas in my trucks due to its cost (I do in my 2 cyl diesel tractor - it helps with the knocking), but I think some of the experts have a problem with prostitution.
If Bob did a test that he thought was valid, before we had UOA's, that's fine. BUT, when a UOA comes out that shows products like Lucas do an OK job in conflict with an experiment, then we should throw the experiment out for the UOA.
None of the experts would even comment.
But they always step in to try to explain odd UOA's from Redline............
Just my two cents.
Von Odenwald

Von,

I think that your points are valid. However, my impression is that potential downside to many additives is the shear/degradation products and the reslulting sludge, varnish, and/or coking. I suggest that none of these issues would show-up in a UOA.

I am still waiting on a bad UOA that was due to the lube (modern lube). It seems that contaminants (especially Si) or mechanical failure are the primary causes of elevated wear metals in UOA (IMHO).

Greasemonkey,

Are you saying that you agree with everthing that Diesel Addict had to say? Or, do you just agree with some particular aspect of his argument?

Gmorg - I am saying the I have read all the pro and con Lucas Propaganda and all I can say is that on a purely subjective note I have used this product a number of years in Cars, Trucks and large mowers and believe it has merit in certain
situations (worn engines etc.) I also have never seen it cause areation in oil based on a dip stick view. anyways just my observation....

Gmorg, I agree with your theory about the addative caused sludge maybe not showing up in UOA's. Why no discussion???
No discussion about sludge.
No discussion about cost per oil change.
No discussion about the foaming demonstrated in the experiment, but not seen when the oil was drained hot.
No discussion about the VOA or MSDS of the product. I keep hearing the term brightstock? and the hint (without proof) that it is the primary Lucas ingredient and why this might be bad.
No discussion of a new experiment that might better reflect real world conditions.
No effort to perform an Amsoil type wear test with a proper 20% ratio of Lucas and oil.
No discussion of the new Lucas synthetic addative and how it might be better (thinner, better ingredients?) for modern 5-30W engines than the original Lucas.
No nothing. Just ignore it and hope it goes away while we continue to push FP and LC.
I have an uncle who used Lucas at a 33% ratio in his last truck (Dodge Cummins) with Walmart 15-40 with over 200,000 miles. Why didn't the aeration do the engine in at that ratio/thickness??
Why won't the big wigs take this discussion on in a professional manner, whether it proves Lucas is a good or a poor product. I'd like to hear what people who do this for a living say about this - not just us hobbyists. But all the experts work for some other company, so knowledge goes nowhere. Aren't we tired of talking about the same old thing? There is plenty of new ground to be covered, but we keep talking about the same old stuff.
frown.gif

Von

I agree I would like to see more tests. Seems like someone's bound to use the stuff. Von, where's a link to your UOA, BTW?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back