Aux connection in car - 07 4Runner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently got an '07 4Runner with this port that can run an IPod. Is this a proprietary connector or are there other storage devices that I could plug into it and play music?

My owner's manual is of no help and I'm not "up" on the latest gadgets...but want to be! I've been burning MP3 discs and it would be NICE to get rid of all the jewel cases!

Thanks!

If its like my 2008 4runner, its just an audio jack in the center console. There is no usb or similar connection. I agree... the owners manual is almost useless on this vehicle.

If USB, then any USB device should plug into it.

If it's an audio jack than any 3.5mm audio cable will plug into it.

Bryan: no USB...it was an option on the '09, though.

cwing6: yes its a green port.

What type of device besides an IPod can be plugged in there that is of decent quality? I did read in the manual if you plug a device into the power port to play a music storage device, you'll get a buzzing through the speakers.

Originally Posted By: Toy4x4

What is a green port? Is it a standard 3.5mm audio jack? If so, you can plug in just about anything... smartphone, portable audio player, etc, anything that has a headphone output jack.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

What is a green port? Is it a standard 3.5mm audio jack? If so, you can plug in just about anything... smartphone, portable audio player, etc, anything that has a headphone output jack.

The port is green. I guess that is the size if it can take an IPod. Manual is bad on info.

The port is green.

I understand that, but it means absolutely nothing.
smile.gif

Quote:

I guess that is the size if it can take an IPod.

So where did the iPod information come from? If it's a standard 3.5mm audio jack, it is not iPod specific. I'm just trying to understand why you brought up iPod specifically.

Go grab a set of headphones and plug it in. If they fit its a 3.5mm stereo plug found on every single consumer media device for the last 20 years.

QuattroPete,
Ah. The dealer salesman said you could plug an IPod into it. I've pretty much ignored the latest tech (not like me at all!) in this area because I just burned discs and wasn't going to spend $xxx on something else for the same sound. More of a hassle, but I'm used to changing discs.

I wish the manual had stated it's a standard 3.5mm audio jack and what is possible to plug into it.

Last edited:
If you still don't know what type of jack it is, post a picture.

If you do know it's a 3.5mm jack, just get yourself a 3.5 to 3.5 cable at any electronics store or Walmart and plug away. What are you planning to use as your source device?

QuattroPete,
Ah. The dealer salesman said you could plug an IPod into it. I've pretty much ignored the latest tech (not like me at all!) in this area because I just burned discs and wasn't going to spend $xxx on something else for the same sound. More of a hassle, but I'm used to changing discs.

I wish the manual had stated it's a standard 3.5mm audio jack and what is possible to plug into it.

A lot of people use the term iPod when referring to any music player. The same way people say Sawzall when referring to a reciprocating saw even though Sawzall is a Milwaukee item.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
If you still don't know what type of jack it is, post a picture.

If you do know it's a 3.5mm jack, just get yourself a 3.5 to 3.5 cable at any electronics store or Walmart and plug away. What are you planning to use as your source device?

I gather from what everyone has said its a standard 3.5 jack.

I was planning on using some sort of media storage device (IPod-ish) for music, but if I have to keep charging the batteries in the gadget, that will be a deal killer...maybe... The manual states if you use the power source located next to the jack, you will get a buzzing sound through the speakers. I don't know if a stereo shop would have a gadget that eliminates the buzz...I'll have to check sometime.

Too bad the 07 doesn't have the 09 feature of a USB port in the head unit. AWESOME feature!

racer: I'm seeing that, now. I assumed that the salesman meant it HAD to be an IPod and Apple is proprietary in their devices so...I could only plug in an IPod.

I was planning on using some sort of media storage device (IPod-ish) for music, but if I have to keep charging the batteries in the gadget, that will be a deal killer...maybe...

Do you own a smartphone?

My personal recommendation if you are looking for a media player. iPod Classic. It's not cheap, retail is $230 from Amazon, but it's a great piece. Holds 160GB of music and the battery lasts an incredibly long time.

If you are curious about true battery life, I'll make sure it's charged up before a 900 mile trip I have coming up and I'll listen to it the entire time. I'm confident I'll have battery left at the end.

Originally Posted By: racer12306
My personal recommendation if you are looking for a media player. iPod Classic. It's not cheap, retail is $230 from Amazon, but it's a great piece. Holds 160GB of music and the battery lasts an incredibly long time.

If you are curious about true battery life, I'll make sure it's charged up before a 900 mile trip I have coming up and I'll listen to it the entire time. I'm confident I'll have battery left at the end.

That would be cool, racer! Thanks!

I just realized what I did. I said you don't need an iPod, but then I went and suggested an iPod lol

And if you're on a budget, you could look into SanDisk Sansa Clip+. These things go for about $40. Only 4 GB of built-in memory, but it has an external memory card slot, so you could add a lot more. Memory is fairly cheap these days. Also, no mechanical hard drive to deal with, like is the case with that iPod Classic. Or do the new iPods use SSD? I had an iPod Classic back in the day. Hard drive failed within 2 years.

Not sure about battery life on the Sansa, but I've seen people report 12-13 hours of runtime, which isn't bad.

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Sansa-Clip...#productDetails

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back