Pulled my Volvo's valve cover today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the photos it appears to be mostly varnish.

Wire brush and LC20 shoould work on those surfaces; may take some soaking but worth it.

Recommend you go with a couple of ARX cycles if you don't know the oil history.

Otherwise, not bad for the mileage.

Yeah, that looks fairly typical for a Volvo and nothing at all to be concerned about.

Like the others have said, I would do two ARX cycles, followed by a couple stronger LC20 runs.

270k? Get the odo fixed if you can. It's just hitting its prime as Volvo's go.
wink.gif

jamesn,

What carb manifold are you buying for the B230F? I would love to carburate this engine to save it from the EFI goblins waiting for it in the future. It wasn't running too well when I took it apart, but the blowby was stout. I have considered modifying the existing intake for a carb, but I probably would have to chop the hood.
dunno.gif

The Blue Beast suffers from glaucoma. Give the poor thing two new headlight lenses for improved night vision.
wink.gif

Yeah. It needs a new grille and new front light assemblies. Its all a bit broken. A chunk of flying metal put a hole in the hood too, so I've been on the prowl for a cheap one of those. I'll probably flat-black it
grin.gif

New rear assemblies and gaskets are needed too.

This is OT, but you know what I found today? I got tired of my bulb failure light illuminating every **** time I hit the brake pedal, even though my lights worked fine. I went to take a look and on both taillight assemblies, the ground strap wasn't connected to anything but a sheet metal screw and a blob of rust
frown.gif
A little cobalt drill-bit action, some scraping, and a buck's worth of new sheet metal screws, toothed washers, and terminals and I'm back in business ground wise.

Ooooh...I hate the tinworm.

quote:

Originally posted by Rodbuckler:
jamesn,

What carb manifold are you buying for the B230F? I would love to carburate this engine to save it from the EFI goblins waiting for it in the future. It wasn't running too well when I took it apart, but the blowby was stout. I have considered modifying the existing intake for a carb, but I probably would have to chop the hood.
dunno.gif

an earlier 85-86 stock intake. or a 1975 to 1985 b23 intake. it will bolt right up. i could probably get one for nothing from a volvo board. cannon also made intake manifolds for the weber carb. they can be pricey. i figure with a 1-wire alternator and a simple (early) gm HEI conversion i can be down to about 10 wires being used in the engine bay. simpler is better in my book.

i agree. the weber 32/36 is a truly awesome piece of equiptment. they are the most adaptable of all carburetors. i ran one on a 22r (converted from 22r-e) toyota truck for years. after it got serious frame rot, i sold it to a firend who rebuilt it and put it on a 3.8L buick v6. no other carb could have done that as far as i know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back