Auto-Rx Rinse Phase Oil That Meets GM 4718M Spec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok Guru's,
I have a '93 Corvette LT1 that I'm currently Auto-Rxing.
As we must use a non synthetic for the rinse phase
what oil would you recommend?

I believe the GM 4718M spec is the spec for my car.

Thanks,
Craig

Craig,

AFAIK, only certain "full" synthetic oils are certified to be 4718M-- no conventional oil is.

As I understand it, the spec's existence came into being because of oil cooling issues [or lack of an oil cooler on the LT1]. I SERIOUSLY doubt that going only 1,500 miles on the clean and 2,000 on the rinse oil would break down a good dino oil enough to cause a problem. The AutoRX is supposed to be taking care of that problem anyhow...

If it were mine, I'd run a good dino oil for the 2,000 miles and change it out on time.

Craig

If you feel the need to run an oil meeting that GM spec that is non synthetic for Auto-RX rinse purposes and are willing to pay synthetic prices, there are 4 grades of Castrol Syntec that meet GM 4718M

http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/b...local_assets/downloads/p,q/pds_syntec_usa.pdf

Lots of people complain about Castrol claiming Syntec as a full synthetic. I don't take the personal offense that some do, although I think it fair to say that it may be a little overpriced for a Group III oil. In this situation the miosrepresentation is to your benefit.

Anyhow it will not have the polar issues that a "real" synthetic will, and it is a quality oil that meets your spec.

I asked Frank if Syntec would be considered a Dino oil for Auto-RX rinse purposes previously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back