Auto-RX in AT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put Auto RX in a 2000 Subaru approx 1200 miles ago. Today I took it in for a flush and drain, with the T-Tech machine. Before I could say anything, the "tech" dumped the oil, and took off the spin on AT filter. I figured I'd lucked out big time and would avoid the extra charge for the transmission flush with the T-Tech machine. It was not to be my day. No AT filters in my town of 8000. None available untill Thursday.

Ended up putting the old filter back on,filling it with regular Dexron III instead of the Amsoil Synthetic that it was going to get. There was really nothing else that could be done.

My question is should I do another ARX treatment of the AT when the new filter comes in, or should I put a new filter in and drive it for a while before changing the filter out and putting in the Amsoil ATF, or should I just stop being so compulsive.

That all being said it is my girlfriend's car, and I never really looked under it far enough to notice a spin on AT filter. I felt pretty dumb when the "tech" told me it had a spin on.

Unless the fluid was really black or you have had some shifting issues, I would not do another ARX. It will keep cleaning for some time.

The T-Tec application cleans the torque converter as well as the transmission and all the contaminants liquified by Auto-Rx are removed. No need to do any thing else.

From what I can see in the OEM service manual, there is a screen type filter under the valve body, but it says nothing about changing it. Of course it says the external filter never needs changing unless dented or leaking.

I too have a 2000 Subaru (Outback) and recently did an Auto-RX flush on it and changed the external filter. I was able to cram on an Amsoil EaO36 filter which is about twice as long as the OEM ATF filter. It worked out very well.

Also, Auto-RX'd the power steering very very good results.

Frank,
Guess I did not make myself clear. The service man would not use the T-Tech, (I thinkhe was not sure how to hook into the transmission0. He did this all in the pit with me standing up above, and when he came out he told me what he had done.

All he did was dump the fluid, take the external filter off, put the external (dirty) filter back on and fill it back up with 9.5 qts of regular dexron. There are no filters in my small town, and no one else has a t-tech machine. The nearest one is 150 miles away.

So what I have is a transmission that I put ARX in, ran for about 1200 miles, dumped the 10 qts out, kept the dirty filter, and put 10 gts of clean fluid in.

I figure I will change the filter out when the new one comes in tomorrow, run it for a while and
then dump it again , put another new filter on and put in Amsoil synthetic. What do you think?

Dude, if he really put 9.5qts in the AT on that car you better check the level. When I drain the pan on my 2000 Subaru I get maybe a little over a gallon. 9.5qts is the total capacity including the torque converter.

The car will be here shortly. It maybe got driven 4 miles total. I was going to check the ATF level, but thought to myself how difficult can it be to fill a transmission properly. I did watch him pull the dip stick and check but who knows, maybe he didn't put 9.5 qts in but he said to me it took 9.5 qts. this is why I have never taken my car to anyone for an oil change. I have done every single oil change on my vehicles since 1968.

If he did overfill it we will have a discussion.

Hey Porcupine, (I always loved it when Moe said that to Larry)

He did overfill it. Not only did he do a crappy job but he charged me for extra ATF that I didn't even need. Tomorrow it will get dumped and the correct amount put in along with a new filter. Guess I will do some fill and dumps as it doesn't seem like I will get a T-Tech done by anyone in this town.

quote:

Originally posted by Trouthead:
I put Auto RX in a 2000 Subaru approx 1200 miles ago. Today I took it in for a flush and drain, with the T-Tech machine. Before I could say anything, the "tech" dumped the oil, and took off the spin on AT filter. I figured I'd lucked out big time and would avoid the extra charge for the transmission flush with the T-Tech machine. It was not to be my day. No AT filters in my town of 8000. None available untill Thursday.

Ended up putting the old filter back on,filling it with regular Dexron III instead of the Amsoil Synthetic that it was going to get. There was really nothing else that could be done.

My question is should I do another ARX treatment of the AT when the new filter comes in, or should I put a new filter in and drive it for a while before changing the filter out and putting in the Amsoil ATF, or should I just stop being so compulsive.

That all being said it is my girlfriend's car, and I never really looked under it far enough to notice a spin on AT filter. I felt pretty dumb when the "tech" told me it had a spin on.

I did a flush by removing the cooler line going back into the tranny to flush out my coolers about two years ago with redline D4 with really good results. Since then i added a remote filter setup from permacool and a filter magnet from filter mag. Every year ill change the filter and just drain out whats in the pan and the fluid seems to stay clear red. As long as the fluid stays red color your tranny should last.

To Frank and all the other helpfull members,
I ended up doing the manual method of: dump the oil in the pan, (luckily there is a drain plug), refill with new fluid, put in new filter, (once agin lucky it is a spin on) pull both AT cooler lines, pump out a qt. of fluid, put in another qt. continue process for about 15 qts. I did notice the first 5 qts were pretty dark, and the fluid got cleaner as the process went on. I've done it that way before with other cars but wanted to avoid the inevetable spraying of ATF all over the floor. Well you can't. It takes trial and error on each vehicle to figure out the proper arraingement of rags, and weights and extra tubing and hoses to get most of the ATF in the suitable container.

Anyhow it is done. Auto RX in the AT really seems to do a job. The fluid cames out very dirty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back