Acetone for piston soak?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So after some reading on dissolving carbon in intake parts in another forum, I was just wondering if anyone had tried, or could tell me why not to use Acetone for a piston soak.

Shaman-

While I can't tell you how "effective" acetone has on carbon coked piston, I'm now in the process of soaking my Coleman lantern fount innards in white gas+ acetone mixture to see if it helps in dissolving some old gasoline related varnish/crud.

I've been informed by some others that Toluene supposed to be better as far as chemical cleaning concerned but I wouldn't put toulene inside my lantern for there may be times when I need to run this lantern indoors (power outage, etc.)

Will see how it turns out? (currently has a 6% mixture)

No hurry. I have alot of kerosene, and almost a liter of acetone. Just wanted to see if I could use the acetone instead of wasting LC. It's not as easy to procure, both monetarily and physically.

Actually (sorry to bring it up but someone asked!) Berryman Chemtool contains both Acentone and Toluene. It'll pop the crud right off the piston crowns, I know. I just worry when using it or other methods of cleaning the combustion chambers that I'm going to burn up the cat.

Pardon the ignorance Molakule, but I am not seeing how lubrication matters when sitting on top of pistons, unless you are refering to the crank turn to get the stuff into the rings. If most of the stuff is sucked out before started, I don't understand what lubrication has to do with it.

[ March 21, 2006, 07:14 PM: Message edited by: Shaman ]

Acetone would dissolve or considerably thin the oil film, washing down the cylinder walls, and thus leave the rings with little or no oil film.

All I am saying is that there are better ways of doing it. LC will soften the carbon AND provide an oil film.

If I had the piston out of the block, then maybe I would soak the crown in Acetone, but not in-block.

okay

While the board was out someone explained it to me. Also decided on a little experiment. I am testing 2 spark plugs for carbon removal with LC and acetone. Should be a good indicator. Point well taken.

The LC that I am soaking the spark plug in has turned into what I would call sewer water Totally opaque. Very interesting. I will take the plug out tonight, and take pics.

I didn’t get pictures, but the plugs looked about the same. The acetone plug was a little cleaner, but it soaked for an night more than the LC plug. Night meaning 8:00 PM to 10 AM when the LC plug was done. LC plug was definitely lubed, and the acetone plug was dry by the time I put the lid on its holder. I guess the next test will be the kerosene I have sitting on the patio.

i saved a saturn motor for a neighbor with repeated b12 soaks and auto rx treatment.she bought the car at auction as is with a dead battery.cheap.
good thing as it would have been great on those evenings when you wanted to fog for mosquitos.
it now only burns a qt in 2000 mi.
there was nothing to lose if the b12 hurt it as it was already junk.its on its second round of arx to see if more improvement is possible.

acetone evaporates very quickly, I don't know how much soaking would be achieved, it might just be rinsing. In the paint industry there are various cleaning/thinning solvents that are mostly acetone but have other chemicals mixed in, such as methyl acetate. I have found an 80/20 mix of acetone/methyl acetate evaporates much slower and is much better for soaking.

quote:

Originally posted by tom slick:
acetone evaporates very quickly, I don't know how much soaking would be achieved, it might just be rinsing. In the paint industry there are various cleaning/thinning solvents that are mostly acetone but have other chemicals mixed in, such as methyl acetate. I have found an 80/20 mix of acetone/methyl acetate evaporates much slower and is much better for soaking.

Capped so nothing can escape I didn't see any real evaporation. I don't think that with the spark plugs screwed in there will be much in the way of evaporation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back