how to best measure A-RX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everybody. Looking to start a A-RX program for leaking gaskets. Its a 92 Nissan with 185K on it, and I thought this might work.

Problem is the car only takes about 3.5 qt, so I need 7 OZ of A-RX from the 12oz bottle.

What are you guys using to measure your A-RX doses? It would be cool if there was a clear strip on the bottle to see the level, but the A-RX bottle is solid black.

Any suggestions?

I use an electronic kitchen scale and weigh the bottle as I go - it's needlessly precise but it works "in the dark".

Cheers
JJ

I just used the wife's good Pyrex kitchen measuring cup. If it's accurate enough to measure stuff for cooking, it'll work for measuring my AutoRX. Just be sure it is clean and dry before measuring the AutoRX, you wouldn't want to add any contaminants to your engine.

Dave

nj300se,

May I suggest using all of the bottle as you stated you have leaks it will not harm your engine and will help stop the leaks if they are broken. The non synthetic oil is a must when you are dealing with leaks and continue using it for at least 3 oil changes after you have finished with the cleaning and rinse phases of Auto-Rx good luck.

Daryl

I've on occasion used the little measuring cups that come free with bottles of cough syrup and pepto bismol (that we would otherwise just throw out). These work fine in a pinch when a one ounce measure precision is needed, and very little residue is lost in them.

Otherwise, a pyrex or lube control squeeze bottle works fine for the larger doses.

As stated, for seal leaks it is best to use all conventional oil throughout the entire treatment and for at least one OCI thereafter.

You will need to do two cleaning cycles on this high mileage motor. Again be sure to run dino for at least steps 2,3, and 4. Then run dino for at least a couple changes thereafter.

I ended up purchasing my own kitchen measuring utensils to help measure stuff like this. My wife got really mad one day when I used one of her good measuring cups for measuring some oil...LOL.

I learned my lesson!

Great ideas! Thanks! Yup, I'm going to follow the instructions to a "t" with this. I know it will be a bunch of oil-changes, but hopefully, it will stop the leaks and clean out the motor so it will be more than worth doing.

As it is, it is not leaking terribly, but I figure I have nothing to lose at this point.

Again, great suggestions! Thanks!

I use a Shot Glass. 1 oz per fill. 3 glasses equals my maintenance dose. Plus less Auto-Rx sticks to the sides of the small glass so less waste.

Leaking seals or gaskets? Not sure, but research I've done in the past indicates these engines (SR20-DE) commonly leak from areas that would cost well over 1K to repair (mostly labor).

I'm not interested in doing it myself, and I'm not going to pay someone else either! I'm pefectly happy to add a little oil now and then. Maybe 1/4 qt/mo or less. So, its more like an experiment. I'm sure it will clean the motor, and if it happens to stop or reduce the leak - more power to me!

I think I have a pepto-cap I'm going to try! Thanks!

I have a stainless 2oz measuring cup. The stuff sticks, but I either squegee it with a finger or slosh it with some virgin oil. I store it in a Zip-style bag so no comtamination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back