What type of ATF for 1996 Dodge Ram 1500?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to service the tranny on my 1996 Dodge Ram 1500.
The owners manual does not specify what type of ATF to use.
I know the Chrysler's are picky on the ATF. Thank You.

Any house brand at+4 will work good. Mine shifted very hard after sitting for 4 years after 50 miles tops with orielly atf+4 it shifts perfect. Absolutely zero reason to spend more money the house brand is decent stuff.

im pretty sure it is not exactly the same there has to be some difference... I dont know if wal mart sells atf-4 and if they do what is the price..

They all have to have a license from Chrysler in order to make make and sell it.The lic number is on the bottle.google it and You will find the approved manufactures list.I just bought 12 qts of Walmart brand to service my 05 Ram cummins.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
im pretty sure it is not exactly the same there has to be some difference... I dont know if wal mart sells atf-4 and if they do what is the price..

Actually, they are the same, because ATF+4 isn't just a spec. Chrysler is much more strict than that, in not only do they specify the ingredients, but they even specify the suppliers of those ingredients. The group III oil must come from Shell, Petro Canada, or SK. The only permitted add pack is from Lubrizol.

Therefore, they are all the same.

wal-mart's ATF+4 is just under $5/qt IIRC

whatever you do never use universal and if you're not the original owner pray to every god ever the PO (or a shop the PO took it to) didn't use universal

if universal has been used start saving money for a replacement trans now because you'll probably need it

Supertech atf+4 is the best bang for the buck but auto parts store atf +4 would be fine too. Don't overpay for the mopar stuff it's the same as previously stated.

Originally Posted By: RowdyYates
I am going to service the tranny on my 1996 Dodge Ram 1500.
The owners manual does not specify what type of ATF to use.
I know the Chrysler's are picky on the ATF. Thank You.

Your 1996 Ram spec'd ATF+3 not ATF+4. Your manual should have that info in the back under maintenance and fluid spec's and capacities. I can't find it online to tell you the page number but it should be in there. ATF+4 did not become FF until 1998/1999. I had a 97 Ram and it spec'd ATF+3. ATF+4 back spec's and covers ATF+3 but just pointing out it was NOT your FF as some have said.

Also, you absolutely CAN run a universal fluid and be just fine. Tons of folks run universal fluids in ATF+4 applications and it was very popular when ATF+3 was the factory spec. Just make sure the universal fluid spec's at least ATF+3.

Last edited:
The FF would have been atf+3 but atf+4 is recommend for all atf+3 applications. It has identical friction characteristics but higher quality basestocks. It also performs much better over time. Since all atf+4 is the same whether it Mopar, supertech, OReilly etc, i would try this first before exploring other options.

I hear that the Rwd Chrysler transmissions are more resilient to incorrect fluids than fwd, but you'd pay more for a generic universal fluid than atf+4 on sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back