How good are German-made Ravenol motor oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Came across Ravenol motor oil on the German car enthusiast site Blauparts.com. Supposedly these real synthetic oils are all made in Germany and have multiple German car approvals. Does anyone know how good their oils are? Am wondering whether to use Ravenol in my Tiguan once the warranty is up and I no longer have to use Castrol. My thought is a German-made oil might be better for a German car as opposed to Redline or Amsoil, but without any further information I can't be sure. All thoughts and experiences with be welcome.

The oil quality doesn't depend on the country of origin or on the colour of the can...

It depend on what there is inside, and how much it costs for it...

In Europe, Castrol oils are often overpriced with low average base and add pack... Ravenol is, as I know from VOA, well priced for what there is inside.

The problem of Ravenol is the lack of technical informations from them...So a VOA is often needed

I use for now Ravenol MTF-2 in my Volvo manual trans, and it is for now the best oil I have found for the best shiffting and price...

I use Pennasol HDEO oils for engines, an other german brand, cheap and good.

But I am sure you will have good results with any well priced oils that meets the specs for your engine...

You have more informations about Ravenol and other german oils here: http://www.oil-club.ru/forum/forum/42-ravenol/ (use Chrome or google to translate)

For example, VOA Ravenol HC 5w30 and Ravenol VSI 5W40 API SM and RAVENOL VMO 5W-40 and Ravenol SSO 0W-30 and

Base: IR Spectrography

Last edited:
Who cares if it is a German-made oil. I've run Motul (French) in my German car, Mobil 1 (American) in my Japanese car, and Pennzoil (American) in another Japanese car.

With so many good oils available right here in the US, such as Mobil 1 0w40 (VW-approved, by the way), I don't know why you'd go for an obscure one like Ravenol. Will it work? Sure. Is it worth the extra money? Unlikely.

I just got Total/Elf for my VW TDi, so I'm going to try Aussie oil in the German car.

Originally Posted By: phlfly
I just got Total/Elf for my VW TDi, so I'm going to try Aussie oil in the German car.

I think you mean French oil in your American-made car.
56.gif

I guess you are right. I was checking properties for this oil online so some now got Aussie website with all specs.

Hi!
We Ravenol there is one serious enough problem. Features fresh oils vary greatly from batch to batch. It all started after the winter testing amateur Ravenol VSI 5W-40, in which the oil is from the same batch had a good flow, and the other was more of a murky and there was less fluid. Then there were the tests Ravenol HCl 5W30, here's the first test of this oil: Ravenol HCL first test . Judging by the VOA - excellent oil. With the stock satisfies the Mercedes-benz 229.5, also in the possible presence of esters.However, not so long ago has been tested oil from the other party, after the change of packaging, the results here: Ravenol HCL second test . And here is the real problem is visible. The fact that requires 229.5 TBN > 8 (or 9 forgotten something I) whereas active HCL showed significantly lower value and is not entered in tolerance requirements. However, on the packaging of the oil is still written 229.5. This is the second time for a short time when oil Ravenol show completely different characteristics of oils with the same tolerances.

We tested the oil by other manufacturers (such as Mobil1), characteristics of oils from different parties were very close (at the level of measurement error.)

Sorry for my English, I use google translate.
Best regards.

Originally Posted By: Jasper8146
Am wondering whether to use Ravenol in my Tiguan once the warranty is up and I no longer have to use Castrol.

You aren't required to use a Castrol oil to keep your warranty in tact, it's just that VW has a contract with BP for factory fill and that's why they suggest using Castrol. Feel free to use any oil that meets VW502.00 spec.

WRT to Ravenol and Blauparts, the oil meets the spec so it should perform as any other oil that meet it would. Blau is just a service facility that also sells parts online, therefore they will carry whatever products they can make the most money on. Their valve cover gaskets are pretty good, but their timing belt kits have been less than stellar and have had some significant issues. I don't buy anything but gaskets from them anymore, because I can find better parts at better prices elsewhere.

Just use the $5/quart M1 0W-40 from WalMart and you'll be fine.

Dmitry, it's interesting to see large differences like that. A company in the US called Renewable Lubricants that also provides a range of specifications. Their CEO said it's because of the variances in each batch.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Dmitry, it's interesting to see large differences like that. A company in the US called Renewable Lubricants that also provides a range of specifications. Their CEO said it's because of the variances in each batch.

Yes, indeed, it is impossible to create exactly the same oil in different parties, however, among the VOA tests that we carried out on the forum, only ravenol kolosalnye showed such differences from the party of the party. And, in the second test HCL, oil banal fit into the requirements of admission. We've found some oils that do not fit into the CSS (some) by SAE J300, however Ravenol so far the only company that has not very stable characteristics, and not written in the manufacturer's tolerance.
A little later I'll look for the results of tests of Mobil from different parties, for comparison. There is minimal dispersion characteristics.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
Jasper8146 said:
Just use the $5/quart M1 0W-40 from WalMart and you'll be fine.

$5/quart M1 0W-40...I wish! it is 11.99 here regular price. 7.99 on sale. Cross border shopping is the other alternative to get $5/quart M1 0W-40 or GC

Thanks very much for going to all the trouble you did to post. To make sure I understand what you said, you're saying that your experience is that Ravenol motor oils are not consistent, that in one bottle you may have good oil that meets the specifications on the bottle, but in another bottle, the oil may not be so good and may not meet the specifications listed on it? Is that the point you're making?

You're absolutely correct about not being required to use Castrol. I do know that VW can't insist on Castrol unless they supply it for free. I just feel it's safer to be using Castrol so there's not even the possibility of any potential warranty claim (which I'm not anticipating)being denied or delayed on the basis of using the "wrong" oil. I also like to change the oil myself once between 10,000 mile dealer changes but don't think the filter needs changing then and so to avoid any possible issues arising from mixing brands, it seems safer to use Castrol. Thanks for the input on Blauparts. That's interesting.

In my opinion german oil for vehicles is a quality oil and I have used many times. I agree with that also oil quality not depends on a country of origin it depends on oil so I am sharing my experience here that I am using always branded oil.

Originally Posted By: Jasper8146
Thanks very much for going to all the trouble you did to post. To make sure I understand what you said, you're saying that your experience is that Ravenol motor oils are not consistent, that in one bottle you may have good oil that meets the specifications on the bottle, but in another bottle, the oil may not be so good and may not meet the specifications listed on it?

Yes, that's right.

I wouldn't put much stock into what you think some country calls a "real synthetic". Means nothing in regard to the actual performance of the oil.

Originally Posted By: tig1
I wouldn't put much stock into what you think some country calls a "real synthetic".

Agreed. We've seen some "real synthetics" claim some rather dubious things, such as being "suitable for" mutually exclusive specifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back