My 2001 Passat 1.8t Frantz install pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mounted the Frantz filter on this engine for two purposes: 1) clean out debris from engine rebuild and spun bearing, and coke (aka "turbo turds") built up during sludge issues from general neglect by previous owner; and 2) to increase oil capacity and cooling when hot (has low oil pressure issues).

It just barely fit under the coolant expansion tank and I mounted it to some vacant holes on a bracket that supports the coolant tank and some misc wires.

Oil cooler in view at left - brass fitting on the bottom left of it goes to oil pressure gauge, brass fitting on the top goes to Frantz filter.

The filter.

The return goes to filler cap.

And despite the fact that the filler cap is not far from the PCV port there doesn't seem to be any extra oil going into PCV piping.

The attachment to the filler cap is clearly not the most elegant setup, but I made do with what I had available and it seems to work.

That's cool. Did you idle the engine while watching how fast the oil flows out of the return line? I'm curious if it's more of a drop...drop or a constant stream. Thanks for sharing!

Re the above post, if you have "low oil pressure issues", I think you'd want to keep flow through the Frantz very low, because, since its a bypass, it'll tend to lower your oil pressure further.

I understand that this can be accomplished by soldering up the oil return path and then drilling a small hole in the plug. I'd guess you'd start small and work your way up to what you want.

Apologies if this is obvious. Havn't done it, but have been thinking about it for a while.

Quote:
What is that filter you have going to the coolant reservoir?

Just a generic fuel filter from Autozone. This car's coolant system was neglected as well and I'm still trying to clean it out.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Re the above post, if you have "low oil pressure issues", I think you'd want to keep flow through the Frantz very low, because, since its a bypass, it'll tend to lower your oil pressure further.

I have looked at the flow through the Frantz a few times and it is a steady slow stream, about 6-8oz per minute. It lowers oil pressure by only about 2psi. Still, with this engine I'm seeing 10-12psi at very hot idle which is lower than I would like, so to avoid the bypass' effect on oil pressure I may install a 25psi pressure valve in line so it doesn't filter except when the pressure is high enough.

Good fix. Should have thought of that, though finding the bits for anything is a challemge here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back