Honda Civic 91 Si Struts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Own 91 Civic Hatchback Si and need new struts for the front. I drove with KYB for many years and was not really happy with the ride. I'm looking for new struts that are good and affordable. The original struts that came with my car were really good but I don't remember the make. I'm open for suggestions and if there are websites out there with good deals please send me the link. My current struts are shot and are now leaking.

I have KYB struts on my Toyota Highlander and they give a ride exactly like the OEM struts which I believe were Tokico. On my CRV I have Bilsteins and they give a really harsh ride. If I had to purchase struts again I would consider "Sensen Struts". Check them out on ebay. I think they are very affordable and have a lifetime warranty.

Originally Posted By: Gito
The original struts that came with my car were really good

Made by Showa. About $180 each. And they are NOT "struts". People need to stop with the sloppy terminology.

Go to NAPA and ask for their most OEM-like offering.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
The original struts that came with my car were really good

Made by Showa. About $180 each. And they are NOT "struts". People need to stop with the sloppy terminology.

Go to NAPA and ask for their most OEM-like offering.

When the word "strut" is used most will automatically know that it means there is a spring that is assembled with it vs. a shock where it automatically tells you that it is separate from the spring. You are right, it is sloppy terminology

When the word "strut" is used most will automatically know that it means there is a spring that is assembled with it vs. a shock where it automatically tells you that it is separate from the spring.

Sorry, but that isn't right.

The '91 Civic has a coil-over-shock setup (spring assembled with the shock into a single assembly). But the assembly has NO structural role; no suspension adjustments are performed using the assembly's body. Therefore, even though the spring and shock are assembled together, the assembly is NOT a "strut".

A "strut" forms part of the suspension geometry of the vehicle. It is a structural member; adjustments to the suspension's alignment are partially performed at the strut's base. The structural function is what makes it a "strut" as distinct from a spring/shock assembly.

Here's an example of Honda's spring/shock assembly that is not a strut:
e-new-shock-in%20place.jpg

Monroe or Gabriel will work well for what you are looking for.

Amazon and RockAuto are usually the best places to buy them.

We are taking pot-shots at what he might like... but we don't know the driving style!

The Si version of the civic had a stiffer, firmer ride than the non-Si counterpart. So that "oem" ride will likely NOT be the same as a monroe or gabriel offering, which will likely be in the general ballpark of the non-Si version of this car.

The suspension, IIRC, may also use progressive-rate springs, with non a whole lot of travel... so going underdamped could result in some body bounce.

So it all comes down to what do you want? Is this more of a commuter vehicle where you want a smoother, more comfortable ride? or are you in the habit of slinging it through a few corners?

If it's a softer, smoother ride, I would consider upper-end monroes (or gabriels). they will likely be a bit softer than stock, and softer than the KYBs. if you like carving through corners, bilstein would be a safe play, and possibly tokiko... (they used to at least make some good dampers for these cars). I would NOT settle for the budget-priced monroe/gabriel offerings. they may wallow a bit too much with the progressive springs and lightweight car.

I had kybs on a 97 legacy. stiffer than stock, and a little harsh. oem bilsteins on my truck are about as stiff, but not as harsh. monroe reflex shocks on my minivan are much more controlled than stock, not harsh at all--- may be my favorite, actually, but they don't make the reflex for everything.

m

Just want something close to stock ride. I do both lengthy freeway and city driving. I have approximately 467,000 original miles on the same engine. Bought it brand new and drove it out of the dealership back in Oct 1990. My current shocks are KYB and regret buying them shocks 10 years ago. Everything on the car has pretty much been worked on by me except for alignments and tires. Not that you have to do much to these cars anyways. Currently I am dealing with a check engine light that only seems to turn on when going uphill. Amazing cars. IMHO probably the best honda civics ever made

Just want something close to stock ride.

Go to NAPA and ask them for whatever they've got that's closest to OEM. It'll be good enough.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
Just want something close to stock ride.

Go to NAPA and ask them for whatever they've got that's closest to OEM. It'll be good enough.

+1 Check out rockauto as well. They split the options between OEM ride and increased handling.

Koni STR.T

I put these on my daughter's 97 Civic. Fantastic for not much money. Monroe and Gabriel are both dead to me these days.

I was impressed with the build quality of the Monroe Quick-Struts I installed on my wife's Corolla last year, but very disappointed in the lack of damping they provided, almost as weak as the worn struts they replaced. They were convenient to install but I should have gotten something a step better than OE. I'm not using Monroe struts again.

I completely forgot about koni. For a car that handles as well as a civic, monroe and gabriel would not be my first choice. I'd give Koni a look too.

Go with an OEM-style oil filled shock like the original Showas (KYB makes an OEM style, but the GR2's are not it). Gas replacements IMO are too soft and deteriorate fast. You couldn't go wrong with a set of Tokico Blues

I noticed the the Koni shocks have no brake line brackets. My current KYB's do have the brake line brackets welded on. I think the original shocks had the bracket attached and I think they could be tapped out. Any suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back