Thanks Frank for ARX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
worshippy.gif
ARX and Frank are by me to be commended. See my UOA at:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=003275

I've seen an improvement in the compression readings on the those whopping 4 huge displacement holes.

I went into this with a car that had been bought as a prior lease with 31K and was concerned about maintainance.

I sleep well now.

Thanks Frank!

Steelhead, compression tested prior to treatment done with a lisle gague and recorded 198, 197, 198 and 195 holes 1 thru four. After treatment we recorded 206, 204, 205 and 205. I've no clue how accurated the gague is but it would seem that the relative change is meaningful. The fuel economy has remained constant. I'm probably using any increased HP instead of seeing any increase in economy due to my commute over the costal mountains here. The little ECHO is straining to carry me and my passenger up the hill twice a day.

The wifes '96 Camry is on the second clean cycle with about 127K on the clock. More on this latter for sure.

John,

Were the test conditions identical with the before and after compression tests (i.e., same oil, similar operating temp of the motor during testing, etc.)?

I ask because that difference is very small and could easily be attributed to a variety of things if all variable factors aren't held constant.

I am not intimately familiar with the Echo's motor but either way, this motor had very good, consistent compression results both before and after.

Regards,

Rich

Rich,

Hum, that is a very good question and I'm struggling to recall exactly how these two readings were obtained. The old memory says that the second set were recorded after the fresh fill of GC and LC-20 were installed after the rinse phase, and a week of commuting. This is supported by notes, but I think the engine was just barely warmed up prior to taking these readings.

The first compression measurments were taken last July and I recall that the engine was quite warm. I had driven it a fair ways to prepare for an oil change and adding the ARX. I remember being concerned about the head temperature being elevated and removing the plugs.

How do you think this would affect the measurements? I suspect the warmer engine would throw better compression readings, but this is purely a guess on my part.

I'm glad that you asked. John

John,

You get more consistent results with the motor at operating temperatures. If the motor isn't warmed up, you will typically get lower results. Also, changes in lubrication could potentially make a difference in particular at non-operating temps.

The difference you observed could have potentially been even greater had you done it the same way each time. But, your results appear to be quite good regardless and I would imagine your motor is in a very good state of tune with all of your efforts.

Also, do you cut off the fuel supply (either by pulling the power from the fuel pump or by cranking the motor in a way that fuel isn't supplied) and prop open the throttle body?

Regards,

Rich

Rich asked "Also, do you cut off the fuel supply (either by pulling the power from the fuel pump or by cranking the motor in a way that fuel isn't supplied) and prop open the throttle body?"

Um, no, but I guess that I had better learn how, LOL! Thanks, I never would have thought to do those rather obvious things.

I'll have to figure out how and take new readings I guess.

Russ, it sounds like you got great results just in time to sell it!

John

We bought our 5.7 3/4 ton Suburban with only 47K on it. I bought the truck knowing it had some valve seal problems as there was a puff of smoke on startup. After some experience with the truck, I found I frequently needed to change/replace the plugs on #5 and #7 cyls. Changing over to Valvoline Maxlife minimized but didn't cure the problem. Switching back to another oil the smoke almost immediately started again.
Recently, with just over 100K the engine has been running like crap in plain English. I decided to put in an Auto R-X treatment. I did it in the middle of the winter so I took no stats. Within 500 miles the engine started running better and the smoke became occasional, but did not go away. Now 1000 miles into the "rinse phase" It seems to have gone away and the engine is as strong as it was when we bought the truck. So well in face that I probably won't do the second treatment as I intend on selling the truck this spring.

Amazing stuff! I had my doubts when it was smoking into the rinse phase (MaxLife stopped the smoking much quicker) , but now I am a believer!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back