Which oil filter for 350z w/ relocation kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know the oem style k&n oil filter for my 2007 nissan 350z is an HP-1008. But my turbo setup requires a remote filter mount. I have a thermostatic sandwich plate between my remote mount and the filter. I chose a 13/16 size thread instead of the oem 20mm for the sandwich plate, so which filter would I need? Preferably the highest quality(brand) as I will be running german castrol in it. I'm not sure if I need the bypass and ADBV with a remote mount? Any help greatly appreciated!

Are you asking which by-pass filter to use in your system or both a full flow and by-pass.
The new fram ultra is tough to beat for cost and quality. Amsoil's filters are usually top notch as are wix.
Napa branded filters are re-badged wix and are very cost effective.
Are you planning on doing a uoa to determine oci and fci or have you got a plan already?
I suggest doing a uoa at 10000 miles and follow the labs recommendations. Thereby getting the most value out of your filters and lube.
I've ordered the franz by-pass set up for my 4V mustang. With filtration at that level oil can go much further as well as the full flow filter life would be greatly extended.
From what I've learned about by-pass filtration I will be putting a franz unit on every vehicle I own from now on. Big rigs routinely go at least a million miles before overhaul yet they burn the dirtiest fuel available,and their oci are way longer than passenger vehicles.
I know its not an apples to apples comparison however if by-pass filtration can contribute to longer service life then 200 bucks for a by-pass system is pennies considering what a rebuild costs.
Just my long winded personal opinion.

I am asking if I need/want both ADBV and bypass in my oil filter now that I have it remote mounted and a thermostatic sandwich plate for the oil cooler. The oem filter was 20mm size and had both ADBV and bypass, so should I stick with that just in 13/16 since I will be using a 13/16 sandwich plate on my remote mount not 20mm.

The filters I named are from NAPA that fit Chevy small/big block engines. The bypass valve is in the block on these engines, as such the filters DO NOT have bypass valves in them. The easiest way to find out what filter you need is go to a auto store of your choice, and have them look in the books what 13/16" thread filter has ADBV & bypass. They can tell you all about the filter's specs. I would think find the closest match to your OEM filter and go from there.

Hi
I am the tech director at Fram. I would recommend using a Fram Ultra if this is a street car. If it is a race car I would use a Fram racing filter. If the filter is mounted straight up , you do not need a antidrainback valve. That said, some cars can siphon oil back to the pan when shut off so a adv is still a good idea. Whatever you do, do not run a filter without an internal bypass valve ! Sure way to kill your engine. The online catalog at Fram.com lists all thread sizes and bypass valve settings. Feel free to give me a call if you want to discuss

Would I need a higher or lower or the same bypass pressure for the new filter as compared to stock (11-15 psi or something like that I believe)? Keep in mind I have an oil relocation plate on the block running to a remote mount then a thermostatic sandwich plate between that mount and the filter. Then from the sandwich plate to an oil cooler. My turbo also gets its feed from that remote mount.

Why would you run the thermo plate if your running a oil cooler?
Is this plate going to reduce flow? Does the oil to the turbo get filtered from the mount?

The thermo plate bypasses the oil cooler until the oil gets to 180 degrees, so the oil won't "over cool". I'm not sure if the turbo gets filtered oil or not, it's derale part # 35729 that feeds it and the sandwich plate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back