Troybilt TB110 won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Donald
I would not squirt gas down the spark plug hole for a test. Too easy to flood. Starting fluid down the air filter is better and less chance of flooding.

Donald, I have had success with pouring a small amount of gas directly into the cylinder with both 4 cycle and 2 cycle engines (proper mix, of course).

Regarding starting fluid. I always remember the time my grandfather tried that and blew the spark plug out (with attached threads) from his lawn mower. At least, that's what he claimed.
grin.gif

Just differences we share in personal experience. Too much of either can cause problems. I imagine we are both right and/or both wrong based on our experience.

Originally Posted By: yeehaw1960
Is your mower running yet?

Not yet. There was a b-day party yesterday that delayed me. Today I will try the fuel in the spark plug hole. I just need to remove the ethanol gas in the current tank and buy some ethanol free gas. I plan to add some additives to it. I plan to buy one gallon. What ratio on MMO and Chevron Techron do you all recommend? The new oil in it is some Mobil EP 5W-30, and so it shouldn't need any additives.

I wouldn't worry about replacing the ethanol gas. Just put a couple cap fulls of either Sea Foam or Techron in the tank. Then a little in the spark plug hole and pull the cord.

Once again: are you able to confirm spark?

With no spark, you can dump any magic elixir you want into your gas tank and won't get your engine going.

Remember the fundamentals: spark + fuel+ air to get an engine going. Missing one of these 3 basics you aren't gonna get it going.

Q.

Guys, thanks for all of the help. I removed the spark plug and put about four tablespoons of gas in the hole and then put the spark plug back and it started after the second pull, though there was some stuttering initially. I ran it for 20 minutes straight. A minute later pulled it to see if it would start and it did! I guess tomorrow ill test it again.

After this tankful runs out I'm going to buy ethanol free gas (just 12 cents more per gallon) and treat it with MMO and Chevron Techron. It seems that with Techron the ratio is one ounce per gallon (at least for vehicles). Is this correct for lawn mowers? What is the ratio for MMO in a four cycle engine?

Just an update that the mower started on the first pull this morning! What is the suggested MMO dosage for a gallon of gas?

For my mowers and other small engines, it's usually water in the carb bowl. Drop the bowl, remove the water, check the jet for obstructions, reassemble, and continue with what you were doing.

I use Seafoam in all my small engine gas containers. Every fill up, all year. Never had any bad gas or carb problems since.

I find it interesting that Seafoam is so popular with lawn equipment in this forum yet not with vehicles. It really does make me wonder why?

Sea Foam is too expensive to use as a fuel additive for cars. I would think you would have to put 3 bottles in to get the same dosage for lawn mowers. It works for stabilizing gas better than anything, I ve tried. I like Berryman for clean outs. I have watched that stuff literally eat carbon and carb grime. It dissolves carb sludge, and its way cheaper than any other additive.

Hello all. I am new to this site. Found it doing a search for a lawn mower problem. I have the Troybilt 550ex walk behind mower with a Briggs and Stratton on it. I have been having this same problem but here is the deal with mine. My son accidentally put some very old gas into the mower. It fouled things up but I drained out the old gas and filled it with new. After cleaning up the plug I was able to get it to start. This worked for a couple weeks. Now, it will not pull start unless I blast some ether into it. After the quick shot it will run like a champ. As soon as you kill it you must use ether to get it running again. I have replaced the plug. I have removed the carb and emptied the bowl. Cleaned out the carb the best I could without breaking it down. Put it all back together and no change. Runs like a champ but will not start. Thoughts?

Since it runs... you may be in luck. Try some fuel system cleaner in it like Techron, Berrymans or Seafoam. While it's running try priming it a few times. If that doesn't work you may have to clean the carb again.

We have been running carb cleaner through the system for a couple weeks now. Like I said, it will stay running once started. That has not helped at all. Everything seems to be functioning properly as for the intake flap in the carb and all. I am at a complete loss. I have cleaned the carb twice at this point.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MrMech01
Hello all. I am new to this site. Found it doing a search for a lawn mower problem. I have the Troybilt 550ex walk behind mower with a Briggs and Stratton on it. I have been having this same problem but here is the deal with mine. My son accidentally put some very old gas into the mower. It fouled things up but I drained out the old gas and filled it with new. After cleaning up the plug I was able to get it to start. This worked for a couple weeks. Now, it will not pull start unless I blast some ether into it. After the quick shot it will run like a champ. As soon as you kill it you must use ether to get it running again. I have replaced the plug. I have removed the carb and emptied the bowl. Cleaned out the carb the best I could without breaking it down. Put it all back together and no change. Runs like a champ but will not start. Thoughts?

spray cleaning the carb from the throttle area with carb cleaner or adding cleaner mix in with gas isn't gonna do squat, for your fuel bowl and the jets (orifices) within that area may have been clogged with gummy old gas and/or debris already.

You should consider taking the fuel bowl off and clean it that way, provided that you are mechanically competent to do so.

(better yet: take the carb apart and clean it)

(* if you are careful, you might be able to salvage the original bowl lip gasket for reuse. Otherwise: you'd be better off inquiring about a carb overhaul kit before you proceed to taking things apart.

Q.

I did take the bowl off and was able to reuse the seal. I did not attempt to dig any further into the carb as I did not want to destroy it. I was rebuilding small engines 20+ years ago so I have the ability. I was able to get fluid flowing from all areas that seemed necessary but I have obviously missed something. Guess I will have to go with the rebuild kit and see what happens.

If your 550ex is the newer B&S ohv type that I suspect (checked out this morning @ lows ), then your carb is the all black plastic type....check and see if jack's small engine has carb rebuild gasket kit available now?

Q.

Does the fuel pickup sit on top of the tank in a secondary well?

I have a B&S motor like that and it is horrible about building up water in the secondary well.

@ mach01:

It's a sidedraft carb from what I see (after searching online):

http://www.smithoutdoorpowerequipment.com/pages/OemParts#%2fBriggs_%26_Stratton%2f09P702-0005-F1%2fCarburetor%2f09P7020005F1%2f102420004

you can get gaskets from very limited sources as far as availability's concerned.

Also: some reports of gas dripping out of the air filter body from this said engine type (on mower of course). reliability is uncertain right now.

Good luck! I'd pull the carb and clean it really well if I were you.

Q.

No. Fuel flows out of the bottom of the tank. Simple, cheap design I know but its my sons first lawn mower so didn't want to spend a lot on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back