Mobil 1 EP vs Amsoil Signature Series 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well done by Amsoil. Good stuff. Their ATF is super good.

It should be noted that Mobil did this nearly identical study back in 2006 for Mobil 1 EP. Same engine as Amsoil chose.

Their video shows the entire engine tore down.

In the Mobil 1 test, they ran the conventional 15K in severe service. No wonder it looked so bad. Would have been a a more interesting and fairer test to run the conventional 7.5k and then compare them.

Originally Posted By: astronomy
In the Mobil 1 test, they ran the conventional 15K in severe service. No wonder it looked so bad. Would have been a a more interesting and fairer test to run the conventional 7.5k and then compare them.

You missed the point. XM was showing the differance in sludge control with EP Vs dino with the 15K OCI. Not 10K or 7K but the full 15K that XM will warranty EP out to. Twice the OCI you mention. Less maint time, less cost.

Who in there right mind is going to run dino in severe service for 15K? Of course it's going to show problems. It's also not a fair test price wise, as the Mobil 1 is going to cost twice as much.

How about they run a competitors full synthetic instead, and then do the tear down. Apples to apples. That I would find much more interesting and informative. But it wouldn't have the visual impact that Mobil was looking for, because I expect the differences would be minor. If they weren't, that would be a powerful endorsement for Mobil 1.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: astronomy
Who in there right mind is going to run dino in severe service for 15K? Of course it's going to show problems. It's also not a fair test price wise, as the Mobil 1 is going to cost twice as much.

Quite true, but if you think about it, there are situations where such things might happen. You have a daughter in college, far, far away. You see her maybe every 10,000 miles or so. She's not good at attending to maintenance. You and I might have no problems paying attention to service intervals. Throwing M1 or M1 EP in her hypothetical vehicle may be a sensible option.

Of course, as you point out, the synthetic will be double the cost, and one is going to need to be able to put on enough miles to make it worthwhile. Some do, some don't. Tig certainly does.

As for the test, yes, I wish they would have compared to other synthetics. As you point out, no one in their right mind is going to run dino in severe service for 15,000 miles, and if they do, well, whatever happens is going to happen, and it may not be pretty.

On the other hand, taxi service is not that severe. Oil companies (and automakers for that matter) like to consider it as such, but it's really not. The biggest issue with respect to taxi service in relation to oil companies and automakers is that taxi service provides good data. Many miles are accrued quickly in very many vehicles under very, very similar circumstances. At least they have a sensible sample to study.

Originally Posted By: DragRace
Anyone who runs regular oil out to 15,000 miles is pure ignorant.

And her name is Jane and she is a SLUT!

Originally Posted By: Garak
You have a daughter in college, far, far away. You see her maybe every 10,000 miles or so.

Garak,

I just had to laugh when I read this. You know you're an oil man when you only see your daughter every 10,000 miles!

Nothin' like an oil change as an excuse to see your kids!
wink.gif

Seriously, I can relate to that as well and end up driving a couple of hours to see the kids in college. Otherwise, I'd have to wait for them to bring back my vehicles for maintenance.

Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay
Originally Posted By: Garak
You have a daughter in college, far, far away. You see her maybe every 10,000 miles or so.

Garak,

I just had to laugh when I read this. You know you're an oil man when you only see your daughter every 10,000 miles!

Haha i laughed too. Not 10 months, not a year, but 10,000 miles."Have fun in college! Seeya in 10,000 miles!"

Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay

Well, service/family reunion intervals can be measured by time or miles.
wink.gif

For my time in university, I wasn't that far away from home. I got away with bringing laundry home to my mom. If I tried to get my dad to change my oil, well, let's say that wouldn't have panned out very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back