Sunoco 94

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody remember sunoco 260 ?? Pump gas (leaded) over 100 octane.
cool.gif

Ran smooth in my '57 Ford.
burnout.gif

P.B.

quote:

Originally posted by Papa Bear:
cool.gif

burnout.gif

P.B.

Didn't they have one grade higher than that? If I remember correctly, I thought they had a 280? which I think was like 105 octane, at the pump, for 30-35 cents/gal.
gr_eek2.gif
Man I miss those days.

We've still got Ultra 94 up here in Toronto. I recently switched back to it, as I was getting some mild pinging at part throttle. I had the tuner add some low end timing on my last dyno tune, to give me better throttle response.

I definitely get worse mileage with an ethanol enhanced fuel like Sunoco though. My average MPG (according to my trip computer, which I haven't reset in months) went from 20.2 on Monday night to 19.2 as of last night! It takes a bit drop in MPG for my overall average to drop by that much, typically if I don't reset it for a long time it stays right around 20.0 give or take a few tenths.

Patman, I hope that is your combined or even mostly city mpg. I get up to 32 mpg on the hwy. and over 20 city. This is with 4.10s, but an M6 (6 speed manual for those who don't know what we're talking about) and not exactly taking it easy. I would think that your car's much better cd (like .28 or so vs. my .32) could make up for your auto trans vs. my manual trans f body, as far as mileage goes?? On top of which your car is lighter by a minimum of 175#! (I have a no option hardtop Z28.)

I find that Chevron 93 Supreme gives me slightly better gas mileage and peformance that Shell V power and BP 93 in my 95 BMW 525i with a performace chip. I get 28-30 mpg on the interstate at 65 mph.

Hancock used to have 7 grade pumps, up to 107 octane...last was in the early '70's...loved that leaded gas except for the plug buildup
12.5:1 compression V8's and not a ping

Some Sunoco stations also have a 100 octane unleaded.

Sunoco 260 GT™ 100, which has the highest octane rating of any street legal fuel, is now available at selected retail locations.
Sunoco 260 GT 100 is designed for high performance street cars, muscle cars, classics, street rods, motorcycles, karts and marine applications. Sunoco 260 GT 100 contains no metallic compounds to harm catalytic converters or oxygen sensors. It contains a comprehensive additive package for greater engine protection and reduced fuel system deposits. Sunoco 260 GT 100 is also compatible with virtually all two-stroke synthetic and mineral based motor oils.

Sunoco 260 GT 100 Unleaded is available at selected locations throughout the U.S. In certain areas, Sunoco 260 GT 100 Unleaded is available under the CAM2 GTTM 100 label.

See if you are close to station:
Sunoco 260 GT100 Locations

Patman, heeding your suggestion last year re: Sunoco 94 and it's ethanol content, I have switched to Shell 91 with FP in my `06 BMW X3 after a short stint with Sunoco 94. (91 or greater is required in this vehicle)

Well, performance and fuel economy are way up after several tankfulls and the tailpipe insides are strikingly cleaner and staying this way. Shell is all I'll use now.

For 5 years I had a 1992 Porsche 968. This is a water cooled 3.0L inline-4 with >11:1 compression and it called for 91-93 AKI. This made Sunoco Ultra 94 my only real choice, although I found that Esso 92 (no longer sold) didn't ping either. Every other premium caused pinging and timing to retard. I generally ran Sunoco because the sulphur ratings on Esso in my area are/were putrid.

The 968 was quite sensitive to fuel. You could tell from idle stability and other performance factors how good your current fill of fuel was. In 5 years of use, I had only THREE really good tanks of gas. Two were from a Sunoco in Guelph, Ontario, one was from Toronto.

My mileage and power on those three tanks was head-and-shoulders above all the rest. At one point the acceleration WOT onto the highway actually startled me, it was so much quicker than average. Those tanks also lasted forever, compared to an average Ultra94 fill. The engine is hard to spin due to the compression and cams, ran Mobil1 15W50, and wasn't tuned for ultimate mileage, but I got around 10L/100km (22-24mpg?) 70/30 highway on normal tanks. The good tanks were probably about 8L/100km.

I stretched those fills as long as possible. As soon as I filled up again within a couple of weeks, even from the same station, performance dropped to normal, which was still pretty swift.

If only I could have had 'good' tanks every fill *sigh* It made me really pine for a true ethanol/MTBE/etc..-free fuel but none is to be found in 91-93 AKI.

Craig.

quote:

Originally posted by Papa Bear:
cool.gif

burnout.gif

P.B.

===========
The highest I remember was Sunoco 260 that had a research octane number of over 103. That was back when Sunoco gasoline was dyed blue.

quote:

Originally posted by dailydriver:
Patman, I hope that is your combined or even mostly city mpg. I get up to 32 mpg on the hwy. and over 20 city. This is with 4.10s, but an M6 (6 speed manual for those who don't know what we're talking about) and not exactly taking it easy. I would think that your car's much better cd (like .28 or so vs. my .32) could make up for your auto trans vs. my manual trans f body, as far as mileage goes?? On top of which your car is lighter by a minimum of 175#! (I have a no option hardtop Z28.)

Yep, that's my average MPG in my daily commuting, which puts me through some brutal traffic jams! On a pure highway run I can get over 32 MPG no problem, even with the car being automatic with the optional 3.15 gears. I can't wait to get a C6 someday, they get even better mileage even with having 400hp! The new 6 speed automatic has a 2.56 rear end gear and it's 6th gear ratio is .67. (compare that to my 3.15 ratio with a .70 overdrive and you can see it's a significant drop in highway cruising rpm)

Before I switched back to Sunoco, I could average about 21 to 22 MPG in my daily commute on a good week (a week with no traffic jams that is) in warm weather.

Patman; that is pretty good considering your driving conditions. I see your point about the C6. I will ask my brother to check the mileage on his once he's broken it in, if he ever does break it in, since he does not drive that thing enough, IMO.
frown.gif

quote:

Originally posted by dailydriver:
Patman; that is pretty good considering your driving conditions. I see your point about the C6. I will ask my brother to check the mileage on his once he's broken it in, if he ever does break it in, since he does not drive that thing enough, IMO.
frown.gif

Tell him to send it my way for a few weeks, I'll be sure to put some miles on that yellow beast!
smile.gif

I put about 20k a year on mine, I just love to drive it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back